Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
My colleague, also History Faculty, won this beautiful blue 1953 Dobbs Rainbow for me at auction last weekend. I have now filled a hole in my Dobbs Collection, but it's too bad it's a 7 1/8, two sizes too small for me to wear.

More to come in the Dobbs Diner.

1953DobbsRainbow-2_zpsda60b205.jpg

1953DobbsRainbow-3_zps6b98d511.jpg

Brad

Looks just like what I have on today. You are missing the feather lure pin in the ribbon though. They originally came with those. Hard to find now though. You could just cut down a real lure though. :p

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks just like what I have on today. You are missing the feather lure pin in the ribbon though. They originally came with those. Hard to find now though. You could just cut down a real lure though. :p

Yeah, and that's too bad. I'd wondered if it had gone missing at some point, and then I noticed some ads from 1952 show the lure as an option for $1 more, so maybe it wasn't a standard deal by 1953. Cutting costs was becoming the corporate mantra, so it might have gone bye-bye.

Brad

Yeah, and that's too bad. I'd wondered if it had gone missing at some point, and then I noticed some ads from 1952 show the lure as an option for $1 more, so maybe it wasn't a standard deal by 1953. Cutting costs was becoming the corporate mantra, so it might have gone bye-bye.

Brad

bth_Picture066.jpg

That is the bow on mine with the lure feathers. I am sure you could get a regular lure to look very similar.

Nice touch!;)

To add to that, I actually came into contact with the guy whose father tied those flies for Dobbs at that time. He wanted some unreasonable sum that I don't remember now for the rest that his father had laying around. Now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't so unreasonable. Maybe I should have paid for them and milked some stories out of the old fella. :p
If I remember correctly, he said that the Rainbow wasn't the only hat Dobbs made that had tied flies on them but I don't remember the name of the other hats.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy