Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Do you have a hat stretcher?

This type works very well, and these are even better. There are currently 95 auctions listed if you search Ebay for "hat stretcher"... more turn up with other searches.

As someone who resides somewhere between 7 and 7 1/8, mine get a lot of use.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The Garve type is terrible--does not match the curve of any crowns I've encountered and the middle opening with sharp metal edge will grab and put all the stretch into the sweatband at that gap. A Hat Store uses my old one to dry liners as they agree on its stretching capabilities. The wood stretchers are better and safer. Also not able to be used behind the sweatband which will avoid the sweatband visible line.

I haven't had that experience, but there are certainly problems and dangers depending on what you are trying to accomplish. One of the biggest dangers of the Garvé is the strong mechanical advantage which is capable of destroying a lot very quickly.

T Jones, if your hat can be worn as shown without considerable pain, I would agree with Steve and think it is tweakable to attain comfort.

As Alan mentioned you need to purchase a hat stretcher (it's good to have one around). From the photos it looks like it only needs a minor stretch which shouldn't change the visable form of the hat. If you stretch too much it will. Good follow up from Alan and Robert (I posted after them). :) Also Rick.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Prep the band w/ some leather treatment beforehand, use some shoe stretch spray on the leather just prior to insertion of the stretcher & use steam to get the felt 'looser' & better able to accept & retain the stretch. Gooooo. Sloooooow. give it a quarter turn (or whatever) every day, or twice a week...fergetabouit...repeat... 'til felt season returns. One size should be no prob., I do it all the time. There is a bit of a learning curve, so read what others here have to say, voices of experience...my .o2

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Do you have a hat stretcher?

This type works very well, and these are even better. There are currently 95 auctions listed if you search Ebay for "hat stretcher"... more turn up with other searches.

As someone who resides somewhere between 7 and 7 1/8, mine get a lot of use.
I don't have a hat stretcher...I think I maybe somewhere between a 7 and 7 1/8 as well...This hat goes on my head ok but it's a bit tight fitting...after wearing it for maybe a little bit, it does seem to feel some better...Will wearing it more stretch it out some?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I haven't had that experience, but there are certainly problems and dangers depending on what you are trying to accomplish. One of the biggest dangers of the Garvé is the strong mechanical advantage which is capable of destroying a lot very quickly.
The Garve(and most wooden stretchers) is only one width--best suitable for smaller sizes. The larger your head size the more gets placed in the gap and the more it is distorted. If you buy a hand held unit-buy the length which conforms to your desired width as it is not adjustable there(The 7 size is the width that fits my head although I wear a 7-1/4+). The more movable segments the more evenly the force is distributed.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

The Garve(and most wooden stretchers) is only one width--best suitable for smaller sizes. The larger your head size the more gets placed in the gap and the more it is distorted. If you buy a hand held unit-buy the length which conforms to your desired width as it is not adjustable there(The 7 size is the width that fits my head although I wear a 7-1/4+). The more movable segments the more evenly the force is distributed.

This 4-way is one of the best I have, well worth the price as it really expands (get it?) your selection.
I wouldn't attempt more than one size tho'... unless yer feelin' lucky.

Certainly true and my satisfaction with the Garvé stems from the fact that its width is a very close match to my own. I have found a location on the scale that, when the pointer reaches it, produces an oval that fits me very well.

casechopper

Maclachlan blue-grey felt with very odd ribbon. The ribbon appears to have been removed, folded in thirds, re-attached with some piece of nylon band added to make it look like there's a bow. I'll probably send this off for a wider ribbon or may pass it on to someone else to do the same. The color is really cool on this. Felt is thin and flexible.
IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Casehopper love the liner on that one. Maclachlan hats are truly one of kind for sure. Need to have the ribbon properly fixed on the hat to really set it up right.

Last edited:
Stetson Clear Nutria

brownclearnutria1.jpg

brownclearnutria2.jpg

Has a well lived in character. Brim binding is disintegrated in places. Moth activity on the felt is masked by the deep fur pile. A bit rougher than I would normally go for and it didn't come cheap. The color is special. 7" crown, 5" brim. Circa 1930. Will steam, brush and post better photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou