Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monte

A-List Customer
once you get that brim back to being a good homburg brim, you will have a SCORE on your head!! Great looking hat! I will guesstimate, and say it could be pre-40's, due to how the sweatband logos are embossed.
Thanks, I thought it looked like an antique on the inside compared to some of my other hats. I've included a quote from the lady's description.
"This vintage hat was found in my Brother in Laws Mum's house, in the attic! It was in a hat box marked Lincoln Bennett and Co Picadilly. Hat makers to the Royal Family. And judging by the stamps on the box it seems to have been posted to the owner.
The hat itself has the makers mark Williams and Co. Victoria Street London. It also has the crest of the firm and the words "Real Calf's Leather" (leather rim of the hat), and "Bruff De-Luxe".
The inside lining of cream silk is still in tact and not ripped though slightly discoloured.
This must have been a very posh hat in its day."

It is still posh and I'm glad you noticed those details, Splintercellsz. I'm enjoying it and hope to post more action shots in the future.

Monte

A-List Customer
Nice Homburg score. I like mine with a front pinch.
Thanks, Jared...I really like your homburg too. I generally am tempted to fedora-ize my finds. I totally changed my Stetson 7XCB lately and regret it for some reason, even though I believe it looks better on me.
I think I'll leave this one alone as it is so well preserved.
I guess that's the beauty of having many hats...you can customize some and preserve some of the real classics.
Have a great one.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
FeltHat_zps8d2d2a9a.jpg

I recently finished making this furfelt fedora for myself. It pretty much has similar dimensions as the Stetson Nostalgia (5 1/2" straight sided crown, 2 1/2" raw edge non-dimensional brim), but I chose a lighter 'Medium Gray' compared to Stetson's slightly darker Caribou, and I also chose a 1.5" cotton/rayon ribbon, mostly because I have yet to source 2" ribbon : D I flanged it to a fairly dramatic swoop and creased it to a 4 1/2" teardrop with a loose pinch.

I also got a sweet deal on some Bailey's hat boxes for storage.

What a great hobby.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice looking hat Doomstein. It would be nice to see more detailed photos.

New to me Stetson 3x homburg. I'm guessing 60's? Any info would be appreciated.
IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5161.JPG

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

Monte

A-List Customer
Case, another really great find for you...and in your size. Looks good w the jacket.

Manfred, I appreciate your kind words. You have a knack for collecting great hats and you know I've been wanting a homburg.

AL, thank you. I am getting more and more used to the hat the more I wear it. It signifies the first time I've used ebay.

Both of you gentlemen have great style and a talent for picking terrific hats... your compliments mean a lot to this Lounger.

Have a good one and stay well hatted!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Stetson The Boss Raw Edge w/Fray

P1060623.JPG
P1060620.JPG
P1060622.JPG

Quite a soft hat with just enough stiffness to keep it from flopping.

Last edited:

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
Nice looking hat Doomstein. It would be nice to see more detailed photos.

Okie Dokie.

Keep in mind that I'm by no means a skilled hatter, and the hat didn't come out perfect, but I still love it! :D

Sewing machine went a little ape, so while not a perfect zig-zag, it'll work for my personal needs
904698_10101775556891601_1238066127_o_zps9e99680e.jpg

Side
465255_10101775556956471_2053917730_o_zpsfa5e1358.jpg

Loose front pinch
465838_10101775557046291_819387760_o_zps23c81ee5.jpg

Loose pinch and a jaunty angle!
475219_10101775557086211_2111829063_o_zps725b3d29.jpg

Last edited:

Monte

A-List Customer
+1 G
Hats of Ireland Castlebar Donegal Tweed flat cap from a yard sale today.

Also picked up a rollable Montecristi straw from Ecuador...said $50 on the little wooden box it was rolled up in. I got it along w the Donegal for $1 each.

Had to steam it up a bit.

g.durand

One Too Many
job--Thank you, sir.

Monte...and thanks to you, too. A couple of nice finds for you, and it looks like the Montecristi took the steam well.

Here is a Borsalino Light Weight I found in the bay awhile back. As the name implies, the thin, soft and pliable felt makes for a very light weight hat. 5.75" crown, 2.25" brim.
alanfgag estimates the dating as 50s or 60s. The sweat band is stuck to the liner, perhaps with shellac, so I don't want to go prying to find the serial number/lot number label.

IMG_2354_zpsa29c7031.jpg

IMG_2353_zpsba7f1a0e.jpg

IMG_2352_zps07752e93.jpg

IMG_2351_zpse58739ac.jpg

IMG_2349_zpsb3e17f41.jpg

mingoslim

Practically Family
I recntly took a gamble on a Christy's Fur Felt on eBay . . .

christy 05.jpg christy 06.jpg

Needless to say, it looked like it needed some work . . .
That turns out to be a real understatement. It was really dirty . . . and it had shrunk a good two sizes.
I figured my best bet was to clean it up as best I could and resell it . . .

Funny thing happened after I went to work on it.
First, it stretched back to its proper size . . . yes, the sweat is a bit strained, but it fits.
And with a lot of steam and brushing, this is what I got...

christy 01.jpg christy 02.jpg christy 03.jpg christy 04.jpg

Now I'm thinking this may be my summer beater . . .
What do you think?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou