Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I second Mike's congratulations and his notes on the Shudde renovation. It's not clear which parts (if any) might be original, though I might guess and certainly hope that a 7XCB sweatband, was used for a hat of that quality. 1960s hats were generally stiffer than 1950s Stetsons, but the pouncing of a 7X would make for a sublime and very smooth felt finish compared to your other hats. Here is a link to a RENSH 7XCB I bought last year from another lounge member. I expect that this hat was manufactured in the 1950s, but as with yours, I have no way of knowing for sure.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all :)

I second Mike's congratulations and his notes on the Shudde renovation. It's not clear which parts (if any) might be original, though I might guess and certainly hope that a 7XCB sweatband, was used for a hat of that quality. 1960s hats were generally stiffer than 1950s Stetsons, but the pouncing of a 7X would make for a sublime and very smooth felt finish compared to your other hats. Here is a link to a RENSH 7XCB I bought last year from another lounge member. I expect that this hat was manufactured in the 1950s, but as with yours, I have no way of knowing for sure.
Yes as I suspected. It comes to my mind that with today's technology it is very easy to make a copy of that crest and make a stamp. I could do it at my work place as we have a stamping machine.
Maybe it is only possible to know by comparing those renovated with one not renovated?

DOGMAN

One Too Many
T Jones,Hatguy 1.My wife thought the wife school comment was hilarious,considering she says she has trained me.Joao Encarnado,congrats on the hat.Makes me wonder what you guys think is the age of my 7X clear beaver?

Yes as I suspected. It comes to my mind that with today's technology it is very easy to make a copy of that crest and make a stamp. I could do it at my work place as we have a stamping machine.
Maybe it is only possible to know by comparing those renovated with one not renovated?
Shudde Bros would be renovating 7X CB hats with new 7X CB sweats & liners. They would not risk their reputation in Texas otherwise. Only thing you are losing is dating information because sweat & liner would be from a newer batch than what they are replacing.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Lee Trinity Water-bloc Ten

photo2-530_zpse645c2f8.jpg

photo3-445_zpsbffb15a5.jpg.html

photo4-455_zps91b1000c.jpg

photo5-459_zpsb48fe393.jpg

photo5-461_zps294c6c22.jpg

8a104a48-612e-4746-acff-41fe75dfade4_zps4411ce07.jpg

photo5-463_zps77186c75.jpg

photo2-532_zps5254e5b3.jpg

photo1-657_zps4cb0d97f.jpg

photo2-533_zps8fa74630.jpg

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao Encarnado,congrats on the hat.Makes me wonder what you guys think is the age of my 7X clear beaver?
Thank you. I think yours is older... or the size tag on mine was replaced. I think Dinerman is the best man that can answer that.
Can you take pictures of the silver box? I have never seen one. Alan's silver box handle is broken. Yours seem to be intact.

Shudde Bros would be renovating 7X CB hats with new 7X CB sweats & liners. They would not risk their reputation in Texas otherwise. Only thing you are losing is dating information because sweat & liner would be from a newer batch than what they are replacing.
Would they also replace the liner even if it was salvageable? It is a wonderful felt, only thing missing is dating info.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Purplesage,nice hat.Love To know the front crown measurement,and the back.That tall front and low back looks so cool.Joao Encarnado,I will get some pics of the box.It has it's handle the corners are a little rough.

Landman

One Too Many
Dogman, that is a very cool box. I have never seen one like that. Maybe that is a special box they only used for clear beaver like the suitcase they used for Stetson 100's. Your hat looks like an early 1950's to me.

I also noticed the name "Texas Joe" and that the hat came from Fort Worth. This a long shot but it could have belong to Joe T. Garcia, a restauranteur in Fort Worth. Most people called him Joe T. but I believe he also had a nickname of Texas Joe. The Mexican restaurant he started is still operating and is a Fort Worth landmark. Do a Google search on "Joe T. Garcia, Fort Worth".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR