Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Alan! You got that right. I don't this this hat was worn much. The size label & sticker not being the same throw me of a tad. One of those oddities I suppose.

Garrett, this one is pretty darn close. It's my first Nutria hat (that fits) and the feel of the felt is amazing. It's a closer call between this one and my silver-grey Expo long hair.

Richard, absolutely perfect!

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is that not the R M model Richard? A little different to a Camp draft?

Hi Nigel yes it's made for RM. I thought it was identical to the Campdraft, but comparing it directly to my Campdraft I'm not 100% sure - the brim, brim binding and ribbon is definitely identical, but the crown might be a smidgen taller, but that might just be the creases. The RM was sold pre-creased, and this has been recreased by a previous owner (I think I'm the third (and probably last) lounger to have had this hat - it's travellled from Australia to the US to the North of the UK and now down South, but barely been worn).

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The other new arrival from Liddleman.

Made for Saks. It's got a slightly dimensional brim - the front is about 2" the sides and rear are 1 7/8th", Crown is about 5 1/2" open, 5" creased.
Ribbon is 2" wide, and the very nice felt has a Cavanagah/Guild edge.

I'm guessing it's 60's or very early 70's.

Who was the manufacturer? I'm guessing Dobbs or Cavanagh, but if anyone can gleam anything from the labels I'd be grateful:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, a nice one your Deckard, wow the ribbon is a bomb!

Roger, good to have a wife like yours, great hat and shoes!

Justin, a great Stetson and a nice find!

Richard, your hat collection grows up, splendid new arrivals!

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Hi Nigel yes it's made for RM. I thought it was identical to the Campdraft, but comparing it directly to my Campdraft I'm not 100% sure - the brim, brim binding and ribbon is definitely identical, but the crown might be a smidgen taller, but that might just be the creases. The RM was sold pre-creased, and this has been recreased by a previous owner (I think I'm the third (and probably last) lounger to have had this hat - it's travellled from Australia to the US to the North of the UK and now down South, but barely been worn).

I have the RM model and never compared it to my CD.. The bash is so different.. Iconic hat here in Australia !! I wish I had the brown... Enjoy it!!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Manfred!

Justin, that is a seriously beautiful piece of history there. Well done!

Richard, love them both. My guess would be Dobbs from the appearance of liner and sweat, but my expertise is extremely limited in those matters.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Who was the manufacturer? I'm guessing Dobbs or Cavanagh, but if anyone can gleam anything from the labels I'd be grateful:

Not too far off on the time period, but the answer to the manufacturer is technically neither Dobbs nor Cavanagh. This hat was made by either Koracorp, Diversified Apparel, or Levi Strauss (and today, RHE Hatco) in Garland, Texas, sometime between 1972 and the early-1980s, after the death of Hat Corporation of America. However, this was probably just a standard Dobbs or Cavanagh model that was branded for Saks, just as they had been back in the glory days of HCA, so there is still much truth to your conjecture. It's still nice to have a Cavanagh Edge from the last decade of their manufacture!

Brad

Purplesage

One Too Many
Dobbs 5th Ave.

Dobbs 5th Ave. 2 3/4" brim with reddish orange 3/8" brim binding and a 5 3/4" crown wrapped in 1 1/2" green grosgrain ribbon. The liner has a clear oilskin cover with printed Dobbs crest. The brown felt is visible behind the oilskin which gives it the color. The leather sweatband is unreeded. Not sure of the age but I'm guessing early 40s! I Don't think the hat has ever been worn. Can't find a model name on the hat.

photo5-50_zps3c7f0395.jpg

photo5-43_zps1d972e68.jpg

photo2-46_zps7a9cb50a.jpg

photo5-41_zps10dcdebc.jpg

photo5-39_zps6997fc16.jpg

photo1-49_zps07554b4e.jpg

photo3-56_zps69ca643e.jpg

photo2-44_zps1374a86b.jpg

photo3-57_zps85a60cd4.jpg

photo4-49_zps9386864c.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Dobbs! And yes, early-1940s is spot on. Sometime during WWII they changed from the roundel back to the standard Dobbs crest, though my only evidence for that is that you can find WWII officers caps by Dobbs with both the roundel and the regular crest. Not proof positive, but the roundel was standard throughout most of the '30s and into the '40s, but disappears by the end of WWII, if not during. Oilskin was still pretty rare on Dobbs hats at the time.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy