Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I should consider the Akubra Sombrero. It has a 4-5/8" by 5" brim. Now that I'm an expert in installing eyelets & affixing chin straps with stainless steel cotter pins, this would make an excellent hat for protection against the elements including blowing snow.

Do you have any experience with the Akubra Sombrero?

I do have one and it seems more "solid" than the Stetson.

C.G. Wilke Flamand, size 59cm. This turned out to be a real winner. Listed as 56cm but paper label 59cm. It has all the original parts including the tip patch. Really fantastic / unique felt. I am thinking 1920s.

13175191723_83c43837f7_b.jpg

13175372054_588cb99311_b.jpg

13244188895_b299f9464e_b.jpg

13175626834_849cbdec70_b.jpg

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
A couple of nice ones today, guys.

Steve--what a beauty. Congrats on that find.

Roger--that will be a cool topper for a Texas summer. Nice, tight weave, and in great shape, too.

Glad you got it Steve. I hemmed and hawed over it for a long time, with the seller giving me what appeared to be dodgy sizing info. Glad I didn't buy it after all, as I'd have been wanting the 56cm version! The brim edge - is it an overwelt or a version of the Cavanagh edge?

C.G. Wilke Flamand, size 59cm. This turned out to be a real winner. Listed as 56cm but paper label 59cm. It has all the original parts including the tip patch. Really fantastic / unique felt. I am thinking 1920s.

13175191723_83c43837f7_b.jpg

13175372054_588cb99311_b.jpg

13175585804_008df2e889_b.jpg

13175626834_849cbdec70_b.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
McAndrew Californian

I just got a black (termed "Gunmetal") Kevin McAndrew "Californian" fedora off of the evil bay. This hat is so similar to my Stetson "Downs" in "Charcoal" that I suspect that there is almost no difference.

I was looking to replace the Downs as it has become a bit too tight for me and efforts keep it fitting were less than pleasing. Until the search began, I had no idea that McAndrew hats existed.

While this left side views looks gray - the hat is basically black:

IMG_4064 Guide.jpg

Tag reads D20 Californian X (Style Name) 20.00 (Price) 070 Gunmetal (Color) 2 1/4 270 (Brim G14887 (Ticket Number):

IMG_4066 Guide.jpg

Hat color show correctly here. Sweatband Label (Kevin McAndrew Californian)and liner (Kevin McAndrew Hat Maker by Appointment):

IMG_4065 Guide.jpg

Quite happy to have it in the collection.

Fed

gear-guy

Practically Family
Went to my favorite antique store today and scooped up a Citation beaver stingy.I really don't know anything about the company but it was a nice hat for only $30 so it came home with me.

20140315_210048.jpg

20140315_210013.jpg

Glad you got it Steve. I hemmed and hawed over it for a long time, with the seller giving me what appeared to be dodgy sizing info. Glad I didn't buy it after all, as I'd have been wanting the 56cm version! The brim edge - is it an overwelt or a version of the Cavanagh edge?

Thanks! The seller said the front to back inside measurement was 21cm so I was pretty sure it wasn't 56cm (didn't look stretched). It's an over welt.

Justin, HatsRme, Garrett, Richard, g.durand, Thanks!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Steve, Roger, Fed, gear guy, fantastic!

Fed in a Fedora-- I've always found that Kevin McAndrew felts were easily superior to most Stetsons. Is this one particularly nice?

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks for the comments!

Bowlerman,

I had heard similar feedback and expected to be pleasantly surprised. This is partly the case.

The Californian has an underwelt rather than raw edge along the brim which makes a better brim showing and represents a significant increase in quality.

But the overall look is quite similar and the actual felt feels similar as well:

IMG_4076 Guide.jpg

The bow has a bit more detail than the Downs, but the band otherwise seems identical

IMG_4077 Guide.jpg

as is the construction of the liner. The sweat is also very similar. (This last photo gives the best representation of the true color.)

IMG_4078 Guide.jpg

My thinking is that this might be a later McAndrew hat - possibly after the sale of that brand to HatCo, so the difference might well be minimal. The $20 price seems consistent from what little that I know.

Still, it is a nice hat for a very good price.

Fed

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
g., Richard, Manfred, Mike, Jeff, thanks for the comments. I can't wait to be able to break it out full time once the wind stops blowing. It weighs nothing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum