Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Amazing band Joao!
Thanks. That is why I replaced it back.

Joao there is a restaurant in town that has that exact hat on one if the shelves as a display (with the ribbon not the feathers). I was wondering what kind of hat it was.
Now you know, it's a Resistol Stagecoach :)
Searching ebay, I have found another one but the ribbon colors are a little different (and this one was 7x cheaper!!).

And I will be back at home after a month. This is a real test of patience :D
I don't know if I could wait that long!

Kevlar

New in Town
A new-to-me, vintage fedora. It is taupe, a fur felt Adam hat with a stitched edge. 2 ¾ in brim, 4 ½ in crown. I think it is a ’50s hat and has seen a lot of wear: the ribbon is two-toned due to sun exposure, there are some mothing issues, and the ribbon knot is a tad smooshed. The wind trolley, however, is intact if a bit loose.

The hatband holds a treasure trove of info: the company logo is clear – Adam First Name in Hats. The word “Adam” is topped with, what else, top hats. On the other side, equally untouched by wear, are the words "Executive quality, hand sealed edge." At the top of the crown on the liner is the word "Executive" and the Adam hat logo. The lining is somewhat yellowed with age. Near the front of the hat are the words, “PLIANT-EZE, cushioned for head comfort.”

On the inside of the hat band is a tag: $7.50, ADAM, Mail Order Department, 665 Broadway, New York 12, NY. A union label is glued to the inside of the hat. There is also a tag with information “to replace.” It has the name "Chelsea" (hat model name?) and the size – 7 1/8.

I paid $15 and feel I got a bargain. Caveat: the hat is a tad snug and I am guessing that is closer to a 7 ¼. I, however, am a 7 3/8. But I can live with it.

I "wore it off the lot," so to speak, when I bought it. I took off the hat I was wearing -- a Panama Bob ventilated crown model -- and plopped the Adam fedora on my head.

My wife called Pharell the first time she saw me wearing it.

I have since reblocked it -- adding a pinch front crease to the crown and deepening the curve of the brim in front. I am wearing it today to work.

I think it is a 1950s vintage hat. Am I wrong?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Itsbruce -- Several years ago I spent an afternoon talking with the writer William Burroughs in a bar near Washington Square in NY. That looks very much like the hat I remember him wearing. I just thought I'd let you know the kind of company you're keeping.

John Galt

Vendor
First hat I've posted here in a while, a thrift store 1940's "Flip-It" sports hat. It's very lightweight and has a great tip design. I wish I had some "drink me" now Alan. It's a size 7 - just a little too small.

I think it's made by Alexander based on this 1947 ad I found.

ame5umu7.jpg

9amegate.jpg

ysa4u7uz.jpg

aju9e6u6.jpg

ysa2y9ys.jpg

Anybody want to buy it? PM if so. It's a great hat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot