Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I did a little "Horse Trading" and came away with two really nice vintage Resistol Stagecoaches. These hats must have been stored away almost immediately after they were bought new, sometime around the '70(?) Both still have the original tags and neither look as if they've ever been worn. The liners, the sweats, perfect! Both have very tall 6 1/2 open crowns. The brim on the brown one is 4 inches wide and the brim on the gray one is 3 1/2 inches wide. When it comes to doing hat conversions from Westerns, you can't do much better than the Stagecoaches. Yup. You guessed it Joao! Two conversions in the making!

Resistol_Vintage_01.jpg

Resistol_Vintage_02.jpg

Resistol_Vintage_03.jpg

Resistol_Vintage_04.jpg

Resistol_Vintage_05.jpg

Resistol_Vintage_06.jpg

Resistol_Vintage_07.jpg

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This a new one I made for myself as I liked this color combo "ritz crackers and tomatoe soup" as another lounger put it.
In Dress beaver in Camel with rust/orange ribbon in the playboy style . Unlined .

Czechoslovakian velour from Oviatt's Los Angeles

A fine quality velour felt hat, likely pre-WWII. The felt is very soft but fully moldable. Blocking is very straight with 5 3/4" open crown and 2 1/2" brim. 2" ribbon. Very beautiful sweatband is 2 1/4" wide. Liner is utilitarian cotton or linen suggesting that silk might have been unavailable from Europe at the time? $15 retail. More on Oviatt's here.

Steve, I look forward to learning more about this one.

oviatts1.jpg

oviatts2.jpg

oviatts3.jpg

oviatts4.jpg

oviatts5.jpg

oviatts6.jpg

oviatts7.jpg

oviatts8.jpg

oviatts9.jpg

Alan, It's a very rare find! As I mentioned it's a Anton Peschel from Novy Jicin (was Neutitschein prior WWI). I have never seen an old A.P. from this time period. All the ones I have seen are from the 20s or older. Can you please post it in the German - Austrian thread? I will post it on my site too if that is ok with you. This made my day!

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/8-peschel-hutfabrik/

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm glad you got that one, Alan. If only Marc Chevalier were still around to tell us a bit more about it :eusa_clap

Alan's Peschel reminded me of this lid, which I had all but forgotten I own. Bought it several years ago at an antique fair in Portland, Oregon. Bought it right off the vendor lady's head for 20 bucks, if I remember correctly. If there's any stiffener in it, it's making itself hard to detect. Seriously, you can change its shape by blowing on it. Very plush velour finish.

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
This a new one I made for myself as I liked this color combo "ritz crackers and tomatoe soup" as another lounger put it.
In Dress beaver in Camel with rust/orange ribbon in the playboy style . Unlined .

Very nice Bond! I wonder who thought of that soup and crackers comparison?

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Dobbs Louisiana Planter

Picked up this Dobbs 20 off of OFAS sometime last week. It had been advertised as Never Worn! and Super Rare! You know the drill. Still, a Dobbs 20 with a 3" brim was too good to pass up, so I took the chance.

Got the hat when I got back to town recently. The first thing to say is that it had been worn, not hard, but it had seen head time. The seller (or someone) had given it a cleaning and block to open crown, but you could still see the faint shadow of where the hat had been creased before. There was a slight fray on the ribbon, too, but that was it. The felt is that clay-like density that just takes a little shaping but holds pretty well, and he color, a light tan, almost gray is nice. Based on Brad's great material, I'd place this hat squarely mid-50s. It's a nice hat, and I'm glad to have it!

Anyone hear of the "Louisiana Planter" style before?

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Cross-posting to the Dobbs Diner.

A

... The seller (or someone) had given it a cleaning and block to open crown, but you could still see the faint shadow of where the hat had been creased before. There was a slight fray on the ribbon, too, but that was it. The felt is that clay-like density that just takes a little shaping but holds pretty well, and he color, a light tan, almost gray is nice. Based on Brad's great material, I'd place this hat squarely mid-50s. It's a nice hat, and I'm glad to have it!

Anyone hear of the "Louisiana Planter" style before?

I'd be glad to have it, too. Among the many vintage lids I rarely wear but will never sell unless someone offers me obscenely high amounts are '50s-vintage American-made beauts. They were still making some damned nice hats here in God's Country back then. Made 'em by the gazillion. Makes a guy wanna go kill him some commies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn