Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Galt

Vendor
yup, right on que John.

I'm truly sorry you are upset, Mr. Fawcett. I understand that you probably feel you're being ganged up on, but I don't think that's what anyone intended. I certainly didn't, and I take no pleasure in watching this spectacle. Truth be told, it saddens me.

From my perspective, you had a great opportunity to further enhance your stellar reputation by making things right. Bungling that opportunity is much bigger than one randomly malformed hat bow. Out of respect, sir, I will not comment further on this issue.

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
Well this was hard to me to write because I have some difficulty to express somethings in english.
I'm really sorry if you feel that way about this... I'm not a professional hatter but I would like to be an amateur, but I am not even that, I just fix my hats the way I can.
I did ask NewJack if that was a bad camera angle but I think he was unable to reply to that or I didn't express myself very well.
"The others" (as you call them) might keep their mouth shut as I would have but... it didn't looked right and if I was NewJack, I would complain.
I don't know how hard is to make that effect but to me looks easier than making shark gills and I do believe you can do better.
If you want, I'll give you my email in a private message as I don't like to wash the dirty laundry in public and I feel the rest of the loungers don't have to put up with this.
Again, sorry if you feel I insulted you and that you cannot accept someone's critique, that was not my purpose with this.

Joao... (and others) I'll say this and let this go. My sarcasm wasn't directed towards your critique in as much as the way it was presented. Moreover, if my skin was this thin I don't think I could be a good student of all the members here. It was more about the making your points known in the manner chosen. I understand there was a simple communication issue. I admire all of the presentations and comments in this forum and if it appeared that I was otherwise, charge it to my head and not my heart! It's all good!! Thanks to you and others for understanding!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Joao... (and others) I'll say this and let this go. My sarcasm wasn't directed towards your critique in as much as the way it was presented. Moreover, if my skin was this thin I don't think I could be a good student of all the members here. It was more about the making your points known in the manner chosen. I understand there was a simple communication issue. I admire all of the presentations and comments in this forum and if it appeared that I was otherwise, charge it to my head and not my heart! It's all good!! Thanks to you and others for understanding!

No problem with you at all buddy. You're a pretty good guy and a very welcome addition. But for those of us who have known Joao for a while he meant no offence to anyone at all. He's just very direct and honest, and language issues, a lot of times, can tend to misunderstandings of intentions. His diagram was only his way of trying to explain the point he was making. When the rest of us are silent or are heaping praise about a number of different things, Joao is that bold and honest young lad from the short story, "The Emperor's New Clothes".

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I only just bought it, so no photograph yet, but I have a brand-new Christy's flat cap! Patterned black, with a beautiful red interior. Medium-size. Fits nice and comfy!

Price at the thrift-shop: $2.50 Huzzah!!

Oh dear.

One of my signature elements is the stacked triple bow. I've done many in that particular style now, and while I aim for a visually balanced effect, not a one of them is perfect, if by perfect we mean something that would stand up to the sort of scrutiny (if that's the right word) the ribbon work NewJack's hat has been subjected to here.

But here's the deal: They aren't meant to be perfect, just as a well-knotted bow tie is rarely "perfect." Indeed, if it were, a person might think it was a clip-on.

One-off customs and factory-made hats are different animals altogether. A factory hat might indeed hew to tighter "specs," but the stitching will likely be gloppy and the finish won't be anywhere near as fine and it will have no soul whatsoever. Whatever "character" those "perfect" factory hats might someday attain gets there via use and alterations. That's among the reasons so many of us prefer open-crown hats. We wish to add a bit of ourselves to them. And those owner-made creases? Or even creases done by the "expert" at a retail shop? How "perfect" are those? And how perfect do we wish them to be?

Purplesage

One Too Many
Courtney Royal Ten

photo2-691_zps1e0632ad.jpg

photo4-663_zpsf489dbd9.jpg

photo5-740_zpsefcaf854.jpg

photo1-831_zpsbd7eab6b.jpg

photo5-749_zps77ee17c3.jpg

photo5-759_zps82902374.jpg

photo3-699_zps8c8e3054.jpg

photo5-758_zps0dc296cd.jpg

photo2-698_zpsad404fa1.jpg

photo4-670_zpse91ccb6c.jpg

1930artdeco

Practically Family
My first Fedora

Hi All,

I was dropping a gentleman off this afternoon after our local parade and this guy comes up to me and says he has the perfect hat for my car (a 1930Model A). So he proceeds to show me this and it fits so I bought it. I think it is NOS and he says it is 'custom made' and it came in the original box. The tag says it was made in '36. So if all of this is true I think I scored well. What do you think I know nothing about this hat.

Mike

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I have a Baxter I'm rebuilding. I believe they are 1940's hats. If I recall correctly, it was a New York City company. Anyway, same liner, and very nice felt. Score indeed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails