Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewJack

Practically Family
Maybe I didn't express myself in the right way. Let me use your photo:
NJ-VS-ribbon.jpg

I was talking about the geometry of the "green" lines and the misalignment on the different ribbons (marked in red).
Was that made on purpose or it's the camera angle?

Joao: Thanks making the glaring point...If it were the camera angle, would it made a difference? I understand the attention paid to pieces of work in this hat thread...But I've never seen points made so glaringly on other lids I've witnessed here. Especially with such beautiful colors!

John Galt

Vendor
I've never seen points made so glaringly on other lids I've witnessed here. Especially with such beautiful colors!

I find your angst at the situation completely understandable, but maybe a little misdirected.

Quite frankly, Joao merely voiced what many of us must have already been thinking but were too afraid to say, because we like hanging out here and don't want to be 86'd.

His honest and courageous critique is worth far more than our courteous cowardice. The general lack of meaningful critique in this and other threads is polite, but sometimes unfortunate.

Gentlemen, please don't hold back if you think I've fallen short in any of my fully amateur (thus far) hatting endeavors. I prefer the honest critique, even if it smarts.

And the colors are beautiful...

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I find your angst at the situation completely understandable, but maybe a little misdirected.

Quite frankly, Joao merely voiced what many of us must have already been thinking but were too afraid to say, because we like hanging out here and don't want to be 86'd.

His honest and courageous critique is worth far more than our courteous cowardice. The general lack of meaningful critique in this and other threads is polite, but sometimes unfortunate.

Gentlemen, please don't hold back if you think I've fallen short in any of my fully amateur (thus far) hatting endeavors. I prefer the honest critique, even if it smarts.

And the colors are beautiful...

+1 NewJack, I have to agree with John G. and Joao. They weren't being mean-spirited, they were just giving an honest critique. You definitely have a beautiful hat and I'm sure it was well made, but, as Joao pointed out, there are some definite issues with the bow. Art does a lot of business on the Lounge and that says something about him. So I'm sure that if there's something which needs corrected Art would gladly fix it and make it right for you.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I imagine Terry is right. The gentlemen hatters that frequent this place are all "satisfaction guaranteed" types as far as I've ever heard, and Mr. Fawcett's reputation is stellar in these here parts.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I think John Galt expressed very well (and I find myself in that situation sometimes). I'm sorry NewJack if you taken this in another way. I was being honest with my critique. I don't find no fault on the hat itself, it's that bow.
I see in the lounge work made by amateurs like John Galt, Terry, Dogman, bond (sorry if any of you aren't amateurs on hat making/converting/working ;))... and none seems so... sloppy. I do believe Mr. Fawcett's have quite a reputation but I don't see it in that bow. I would want that redone.
Because english is not my native language, I find myself a bit "lost" when I try to express in a correct way. Maybe I should sent you (NewJack) a private message about this.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Maybe I didn't express myself in the right way. Let me use your photo:
NJ-VS-ribbon.jpg

I was talking about the geometry of the "green" lines and the misalignment on the different ribbons (marked in red).
Was that made on purpose or it's the camera angle?

Truly amazing Sir, you have managed to take an unfavorable camera angle coupled with an extremely difficult ribbon treatment and turned it into a real insult. This I've come to expect from others here but I had no idea you were a professional hatter. Please, by all means, let's see examples of your perfect work.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Truly amazing Sir, you have managed to take an unfavorable camera angle coupled with an extremely difficult ribbon treatment and turned it into a real insult. This I've come to expect from others here but I had no idea you were a professional hatter. Please, by all means, let's see examples of your perfect work.
Well this was hard to me to write because I have some difficulty to express somethings in english.
I'm really sorry if you feel that way about this... I'm not a professional hatter but I would like to be an amateur, but I am not even that, I just fix my hats the way I can.
I did ask NewJack if that was a bad camera angle but I think he was unable to reply to that or I didn't express myself very well.
"The others" (as you call them) might keep their mouth shut as I would have but... it didn't looked right and if I was NewJack, I would complain.
I don't know how hard is to make that effect but to me looks easier than making shark gills and I do believe you can do better.
If you want, I'll give you my email in a private message as I don't like to wash the dirty laundry in public and I feel the rest of the loungers don't have to put up with this.
Again, sorry if you feel I insulted you and that you cannot accept someone's critique, that was not my purpose with this.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Well this was hard to me to write because I have some difficulty to express somethings in english.
I'm really sorry if you feel that way about this... I'm not a professional hatter but I would like to be an amateur, but I am not even that, I just fix my hats the way I can.
I did ask NewJack if that was a bad camera angle but I think he was unable to reply to that or I didn't express myself very well.
"The others" (as you call them) might keep their mouth shut as I would have but... it didn't looked right and if I was NewJack, I would complain.
I don't know how hard is to make that effect but to me looks easier than making shark gills and I do believe you can do better.
If you want, I'll give you my email in a private message as I don't like to wash the dirty laundry in public and I feel the rest of the loungers don't have to put up with this.
Again, sorry if you feel I insulted you and that you cannot accept someone's critique, that was not my purpose with this.

+1

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Stetson 3X Beaver Quality

Yep! Just arrived today. I was searching for a general Stetson thread, but everything is geared toward Strats and thin ribbons, which this is technically a TAR, but I was interested in the general thread...

Color: Silverbelly (closer to the light tan/taupe end of the spectrum, darker than the pics)
Ribbon: Silverbelly felt on felt
Size: 7 1/4 LO, FITS LIKE A GLOVE!!
Crown: 5 3/4" OC
Brim: 2 3/4", Mode Edge

5E1112BB.jpg

B9945F01.jpg

E8BB92DE.jpg

336BE8AB.jpg

2FA99999.jpg

DCCFC098.jpg

CDA1266F.jpg

879F5919.jpg

Asmo

One of the Regulars
Yep! Just arrived today. I was searching for a general Stetson thread, but everything is geared toward Strats and thin ribbons, which this is technically a TAR, but I was interested in the general thread...

Color: Silverbelly (closer to the light tan/taupe end of the spectrum, darker than the pics)

5E1112BB.jpg

That is one beautiful hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lotsahats

One Too Many

Well said, John Galt! We err on the enabling side, or, sometimes, on the rude side. Joao's comments were fair and sensitive, and I agree that healthy discussion can be beneficial here.

A

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

5E1112BB.jpg

Beautiful hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails