Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Galt

Vendor
Hi ladies and gentlemen !
I got this hat today and I don't know what's the model name , I know it's a Royal Stetson but I'm having trouble with the model name. The hat is very soft and lightweight , also if anyone has an idea about year. I think is somewhere around 50's but I'm no expert .thanks in advance

Photos omitted. I'm with Josh here. It looks to have Playboy dimensions & styling. I'm also on board with mid-50's based on the plastic tip liner & emblem. I'd be happy to have it, marked as Playboy or not, and congratulate you on the purchase.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, yes it does but that's why I'm confused because is not marked. But I love this hat no matter what it is :)

My vote's with carouselvic...something similar to a Playboy, but the thin OR / Strat "like" brim binding indicates a Wanderer style to me. I'd love to have one of those, along with wanting a Strat, a Playboy and a couple other models that always seem to be out of my reach.

Wanderer
Stetson_Wanderer.jpg

It wasn't uncommon for Stetson to not mark the style names on some of their hats. I have a Royal Stetson that's obviously an Open Road style but it's not marked Open Road anywhere on the hat. As far as I'm concerned, it's still an Open Road to me even though it's not marked.

Last edited:
...It wasn't uncommon for Stetson to not mark the style names on some of their hats. I have a Royal Stetson that's obviously an Open Road style but it's not marked Open Road anywhere on the hat. As far as I'm concerned, it's still an Open Road to me even though it's not marked.

The waters are muddy... no need to muddy them further. Hat fashion was not monolithic. Open Roads have had thin ribbons and wide ribbons. Playboys have played around too. Wanderers were made by more than one hat company. The hat in question is a mid ribbon Royal Stetson, a historic pedigree in its own right that might well have been worn by Babe Ruth, though this particular example is from the Roger Maris era.

The waters are muddy... no need to muddy them further. Hat fashion was not monolithic. Open Roads have had thin ribbons and wide ribbons. Playboys have played around too. Wanderers were made by more than one hat company. The hat in question is a mid ribbon Royal Stetson, a historic pedigree in its own right that might well have been worn by Babe Ruth, though this particular example is from the Roger Maris era.

In a nutshell, hats is hats. While many of us yearn for certain styles and will pay (sometimes) outrageous prices, bottom line is if you like it and can wear it, that's all that matters.

Hi ladies and gentlemen !
I got this hat today and I don't know what's the model name , I know it's a Royal Stetson but I'm having trouble with the model name. The hat is very soft and lightweight , also if anyone has an idea about year. I think is somewhere around 50's but I'm no expert .thanks in advance View attachment 20098 View attachment 20099 View attachment 20100 View attachment 20101 View attachment 20102

Looks like a classic Wanderer to me.
Never seen one with model tagging, but if it walks like a duck....

Mystic

Practically Family

I see what you did there with the Ruth/Maris era reference.

Mid-ribbon Royal Stetson is a home run regardless of era...

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I received this morning a lot of old-new stock hats (I suppose from late 50, early 60) from a closed hats shop near Milan.
They are marked Tanaro Alessandria and brims are 6.5 cm. and crown 10 cm. in a tipical italian shape.
As many of you know Alessandria is the home of Borsalino and Tanaro is the river that pass along this town.
33kab83.jpg
I bought them for the curiosity to see if they are made by a old contractor of Borsalino. For some reasons they are a little bit more rough than a Borsalino, for others (see label) they are closer to the famous Alessandria hats maker
1zy8ls.jpg
The felt is more thick and not so pliable, but at end they are hats that belong to the golden era of Italian hattery.
wjxitx.jpg
They sitting for many years on the shelf and they arrive a little bit out of form, but I have time to put in order one and wear it for the midday.
29g0j8o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff