Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Got two new hats today and I'm hoping someone could give me some info about one of them.

First is a Knox
A little stingy for my taste but will feel great on my head in these hot days I'm sure.

f455f1ed670ccbe1ff46a57a391aa814.jpg

402faed822a230869008b240af9b0ac6.jpg

afeeb2a694ea25129a8fe7d70f8b560a.jpg

Now this is the one I am curious about.
Seems much older and made way better.
I can tell there used to be a sticker on the tip.
And the word Windsor makes me think Biltmore.
I honestly have no idea... But the sweat is paper thin and the tags under it look old.

Any info is appreciated

ca292b7c8ba3d67f350ff2067dd1a414.jpg

f2bfd078336f32da10328c3fc908c1ad.jpg

7c34a882b06f485cc20b2c804261c8e5.jpg

f493358cf8a0868e6e36d9827a8d5385.jpg

c1ab85cbb47d6caca5919550d06030b6.jpg

db9e20029f38657a6b4d5bf34d0c6d06.jpg

d88e58b2f11a41ce243af70c3b96721c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el_ote

Familiar Face
"...
One thing though, I now understand all the complaints about the modern Stetson felt. After steaming and flattening the brim some, the "spider webbing" that some of you have mentioned really took over the brim. I had to really work it out and be gentle. If I had paid full price, I'd have been very disappointed. But this was a great Ebay deal."

Dave, great hat. i love the color.
Can I ask though, how do you flatten the brim? i thought i had to live with the brim curling so much. i love the way you can get them so flat.

- Elías O.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
From today's trip to the flea market...

Borsalino Piuma (Feather)... a souvenir from Italy that has never been unpacked, much less worn. It has the signature lumps and bumps from 65 years in a triangular coffin. Lovely and light - 2 5/8" brim.

borsopiuma1.jpg

borsopiuma2.jpg

borsopiuma3.jpg

borsopiuma5.jpg

borsopiuma9.jpg

borsopiuma10.jpg

072615.jpg
Wow !!! I wish we had that kind of flea markets down here

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Great stuff M-T-L. I especially like the first one. Both of yours are examples of how I mentioned that I'm not that creative when it comes to ribbons. I would never have thought I'd like these, but they look great, especially number two.

Interesting that you posted that second hat. I don't know anything about it, but just last night, I was watching an old Yul Brynner movie called Surprise Package, in which he plays a gangster. He wears quite a bold look. Black suit, black shirt with a white tie and black hat with a white ribbon. Oh and B&W shoes! WOW! I could never pull that off. LOL!

Anyway, I was looking closely at his hat and wondering about it. I swear, your second hat looks like the identical type that he wore in that movie. Look for some images and see if you agree.

Andy

Last edited:

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Chamuco, you wear the Campdraft well with that white shirt (in the car). For some odd reason, my fedora just doesn't work with any type of T-shirt for me. Maybe because mine is fairly dark, I don't know. A look seems to be a funny thing. What works on some people, doesn't work for others.

Andy

javadave61

Practically Family
Dave, great hat. i love the color.
Can I ask though, how do you flatten the brim? i thought i had to live with the brim curling so much. i love the way you can get them so flat.

- Elías O.
I steam the brim one half at a time (front and then back). I lay it flat on a table and work one half of the brim flat til it cools. I do this a couple of times, just enough to tame the curl a little. Over time, some of the curl comes back. It's enough to take a sharp curl out of it.

el_ote

Familiar Face
I steam the brim one half at a time (front and then back). I lay it flat on a table and work one half of the brim flat til it cools. I do this a couple of times, just enough to tame the curl a little. Over time, some of the curl comes back. It's enough to take a sharp curl out of it.

thanks! was thinking i could steam it and use an iron (cool, not on at all) to flatten it. out and about in it now so I'll try it mañana!

- Elías O.

RJR

Put a cloth on it and you can use steam Elias,my experience says you'll redo it 2-3 times over several days.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
thanks! was thinking i could steam it and use an iron (cool, not on at all) to flatten it. out and about in it now so I'll try it mañana!

- Elías O.

I use a steam iron on the wool setting directly on the felt with no ill effects. I've converted a hat with a brim like

this (not the actual hat):

6.JPG

to this (actual hat):

20150729_090923.jpg

If the texture of the felt appears uneven due to ironing, I simply use a cleaning sponge to even it.

Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy