Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
first disney. Nice wide brim, 7 3/8 to boot. Gotta be 40s.

Fred.jpg

Elizabeth!!!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It's been a little while since I've posted here but I found a couple of hats this weekend on a quick visit to Ft. Worth. This first one is an "Appleby of New York" I've never heard of the company before but they made a nice hat. I couldn't resist the proportions, the felted edge or the olive ribbon.

great score my man ... that thing is sweet as honey on a sugar stick ... damn !!

love it .. congrats on a beauty

40Cal

One Too Many
It's been a little while since I've posted here but I found a couple of hats this weekend on a quick visit to Ft. Worth. This first one is an "Appleby of New York" I've never heard of the company before but they made a nice hat. I couldn't resist the proportions, the felted edge or the olive ribbon.

My wife and I stopped by the Resistol outlet for the first time and it's well worth the visit. I picked up a nice soft Stetson Runabout for a really good price. I wanted a Stratoliner but they didn't have one in my size in anything other than grey :(.
All in all it was a good trip.

Rogera, I have a nice Appleby that I purchased a few years ago. Your liner looks identical to the one I have. On mine, If you look under the sweat and at the bottom of the duplication label it says " Resistol Hats Inc." the Appleby is a very well made hat.... this may explain why!

40Cal

One Too Many
Here my "new to me" Penny's Marathon. Wide brim and one inch ribbon. I love the dimensions of this hat. Not sure of the age. Has a few moth nibbles here and there but i like 'em! Adds character

marathon1_zps3b44chu4.jpg

marathon2_zpsitbauhtb.jpg

RobertM

Familiar Face
RobertM: Great color and really nicely finished brim.

Thanks Bob. It's their copper color and frankly, the pictures (too small) aren't doing it justice. I'll take a better one tomorrow. This sisol has a hard, deep snap brim - not as much adjustability as I would like, but it works. It's very, very light in weight with an open weave - which works well in the hotter days of summer.

R

RobertM

Familiar Face
Wlcm! Maybe the brim will become a bit more flexible w some head time...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nope, I don't think so, Bob. I have the same one in a different color that I bought a few months ago. I think it's just the nature of that particular company's choice of material or rather how they shape it.

Bob

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Resistol vintage Stratoliner clone in silverbelly

In the Waiting For thread, I anticipated receiving a Resistol OR that had been listed on EBay as Men's Gray Hat Size 7 1/4 By MOSER'S Made in Maryville TN USA for $30 including shipping.

I received all that I hoped. It's a union tagged Resistol OR with expected stains and dust, but the felt, ribbon, sweatband and liner are in good condition.
[highlight]edit: noting that the hat is soft felt with a 2.5" bound brim and no wind cord, it appears to be closer to a Stratoliner clone. Possibly a Resistol Herdsman[/highlight]

I removed the liner using a heated spoon to soften the glue, putting the liner in a detergent solution to soak and hand wash later.
I vacuumed the hat inside and out. It was very dusty, with a lot of crap under the sweatband.
I removed some surface dirt with a cleaning sponge, including what looked like a makeup smudge on the top of the crown.
I wiped down the sweatband with a wet sponge. It was very dirty on the inside.
Then, with a combination of kettle steam and a steam iron, I returned the crown to an open shape.
After letting it cool, I put in a simple center dent with a light pinch.

Two light stains on the brim still bugged me, so I experimented with a bit of naphtha. It cleaned the stains, but left a ring at the edge of the fluid area, so I gave it a heated white gas bath this morning and it cleaned right up.

After the bath, I rubbed some neat's foot oil into the sweatband. I also sprayed some hairspray into the crown to stiffen it a bit.

Before and after steaming and reshaping
20150805_155111.jpg 20150806_101548.jpg

Dirt and stained brim and after final fuel bath
20150805_155139.jpg 20150806_101754.jpg

Other pics of the final product
20150806_101634.jpg 20150806_101733(0).jpg

I'd like to say that all my gambles turn out this well, but sometimes I end up paying for my education.

Thanks to all for the advice I've received from this forum.

Roger

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy