Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

javadave61

Practically Family
Dale's been wanting a green hat (nice find!), and I've been wanting a grey vintage straw. Found this one on eBay and took the risk on a 2" brim. I was tapping my inner Charlie (hatsRme) on this one, except that the ribbon was a bit of a mess, so it's a simple black one for now.

First off, boy what a difference the vintage straw is from the modern stuff. This feels so good in the hand and comfortable on the head. The sweat and straw are like new. This will be a fun hat to wear.

Finding the JJ Hat Center tag was a nice bonus.

2015-08-20_21.58.29.jpg 2015-08-20_18.06.04.jpg 2015-08-20_22.11.27.jpg 2015-08-20_18.11.38.jpg 2015-08-20_18.03.05.jpg 2015-08-20_18.07.29.jpg

Been wanting a green hat for a long time. Today I got one.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this hat is from 1965, as that would be Stetson's 100th anniversary. It's got a felted edge, too. (Don't know what Stetson called their version of the cavanagh edge)

Congrats Dale! I really the color, and the felted edge. I did not know Stetson ran the "Vita-Felt" moniker that late.

Great find, Dave. I agree, the newer straws don't hold a candle to those old ones.

Congrats Dale! I really the color, and the felted edge. I did not know Stetson ran the "Vita-Felt" moniker that late.

I think they're still using it, but it's not the same thing. I think Stetson has a wool line they term VitaFelt.

Thanks. Me either, but of course I could be wrong about the dating. I'm just guessing based on brim dimension and the name "golden century". The felt is much denser than the two 50s royal stetsons I have, and stiffer, although not significantly thicker, if that makes any sense.

yes ... this is not the same vita felt of the 40s

still a nice hat though for someone who enjoys that size brim

I'd say Dale's is different from both the modern wools and the 40's Vita-Felts. Just a marketing term.

I only wear Cravenetted, Cavanagh-Edge, Vita-Felt hats with DuPont WaterBloc and a Kitten Finish!

Because I have exacting standards that way, donchaknow.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Selv-Edge was also a fluid term that was still around in the late 50's-early 60's. At that time it was a faux felted edge, more like a sewn over welt with no thread remaining.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Selv-Edge was also a fluid term that was still around in the late 50's-early 60's. At that time it was a faux felted edge, more like a sewn over welt with no thread remaining.

That is a really great color... Any chance we could get a quick pic of the whole hat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40Cal

One Too Many
Found this Mallory Ten at an estate sale on Sunday. Medium Grey with a wide brim. I like these Pre-Stetson Mallory hats !
hats%20006_zpsungkbiiz.jpg

hats%20008_zpscdo8vuze.jpg

hats%20009_zpspu05eeff.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
damn 40 ... I need to go to the estate sales you go to

every one I've been to in recent months has be dry as the Sahara

fantastic score ... many props my friend

is it a straight up 7? ... can't see the whole size tag

+1, 40cal, and what Moon said. The estate sales around here have been pretty barren of hats lately, though my wife keeps finding vintage jewelry! The only Mallory I have is right after Stetson purchased them. Still a great hat!

40Cal

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I don't go to many estate sales... I think this was my second. I'm thinking I should probably go to a few more! The Mallory was in a 1970's era ladies hat box. I think the folks running the sale thought it was a ladies hat. Got it for $20. It shows no sign of ever being worn
I got it home and gave it a crease that I like. Wearing it today.
Moon.. It's a 7. I had to give it a tiny stretch to fit.
Fabio... thank you, creasing these hats is half the fun i think.
Fruno... I've got several post Stetson purchase Mallory's and I can't tell the difference in quality if there is one. I just like knowing the approximate age of the hat . It's always exciting to see that 1823 date on the liner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy