Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kiltie

Practically Family
Thanks a heap, Michaelshane. Stroke of simple luck on my part. No discrimination, just "Here's a cool hat..." And it is,indeed, a cool hat. One of the best fitting hats I have now as well, I might add. That goes a heck of a long way when we all have to admit there's a lot of "form over function" in this hobby. Feels like I imagine ( read: hope ) a custom would sit.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0860.jpg

Well, your "something" lid seems to have a real "Borso" feel to it -- particularly in light of your report that the felt is extremely lightweight. Is the lapel cord elasticized, by any chance?

Don't know if it's a Borso or not, but that is a great lookin' lid in a very cool color. Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Blue-grey Stetson Stratoliner

Well, it arrived today! :D Actually, it arrived yesterday but as one of our rural carriers refuses to get out of her car to deliver packages I had to go pick it up.

StetsonStratBlueGrey-1.jpg

It is, as described, in need of cleaning. A quick brushing did nothing for it. Next up will be some time with Scouts and a hat sponge. If that's not sufficient it will wind up going out for professional help. Other then that, it's a keeper!

I'm posting some shots I took of it outside as my application to the Stratoliner Society, so look there for more photos if you're interested.

Regards,
Tom

kiltie

Practically Family
Looking awfully nice with the Stratoliners. Keep us posted with the evolution of the cean-up. Especially Tango Yankee; I'll be interested in what you settle on as "professional help". I got a couple that could use some umph.

StylinLA

Familiar Face
I'm playing "catch up"- spent years loving hats, but never exposed to really high end fedoras. Saw an Art Fawcett on a buddy's head and said "Where the heck did you get that?"

I only ever saw those S M L XL wool hats in a handful of men's clothing stores.
He told me about Vintage Silhouettes, the FL and I've been going at it with a vengeance.

Would love to score some vintage hats, but I barely have the patience to wait out the custom orders from Art and Graham.

StylinLA

Familiar Face
duggap said:
StylinLA, what is the brim size on the Fairfax. I really like that hat.:eusa_clap

Brim is 2.5 inches. Crown height tba. The standard Sportaire is 5.5 inches. This is tad lower.

I don't know all the specs yet cuz I followed Hungary Tom's credo and just gave Art a basic idea and left most of it up to him.

What a thrill cutting the box open and not knowing what was inside other than a black hat in the Sportaire block. I recommend it.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a thrill cutting Art's boxes open even if you know what's in them. I only have one for now, and I know that I was getting a granite sportaire style with a thinner ribbon. As we discussed the hat, Art said since this was my first, why didn't I let him run with it. That's what I did, and I'm sure I'll do the same with the next.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday's find

is a brown, open crown, uncreased Stratoliner. The ribbon looks greenish in natural light. Unfortunately, it's not my size, so this one will be in the Classifieds soon.
DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098-1.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0106-1.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
is a brown, open crown, uncreased Stratoliner. The ribbon looks greenish in natural light. Unfortunately, it's not my size, so this one will be in the Classifieds soon.

Whoa, that's a beauty, Erik. Where did you find that in such pristine condition? It's my size, and I'm in the market for a Strat. PM sent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy