Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Great hats Gene!
I like the Supernatural.... but milans are fast becoming my favorite type straw. That Dobbs is one sweet looking milan!
What are the specs on it?
Looking forward to see how you 'tweeked' it.

Those specs are changing as the day progresses. I should've taken some measurements before I dropped the crown down, but that was just a very, very minor degree. I changed the brim shape and replaced the ribbon. I think I've taken it from 'old man' to 'blues man'. :D I'll get new pix in tomorrow's light.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
D.W. Suratt said:
Can you use steam on a shantung hat?

For me, I just dampen the area I want to shape using water from the tap and wiping it on with my fingers. Then, yes, just make the adjustment and sometimes use a hairdryer ON LOW HEAT SETTING from about a foot away to hasten the time 'til it sets.

I've had my eye out for one of those Shantung Open Road style hats. I think they have a good look and feel about them.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Cruss said:
I got a Stetson Bear Creek (Chatham)

What a nice hat, I like mine a lot. Perfect fit, etc. I almost wish it were a bit more stiff, Ja?

Picture3.jpg

I hate webcam pics, but bear with me...

Welcome, Cruss.

Glad you overcame your instincts and posted a photo. We like to see members wearing their hats. I have a Chatham in Caribou grey. I like mine and yours looks like a good match for you, plus that looks like a very tasteful and versatile color.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all. I can't get over how much I like the Panama. Nicki stomachs the new one but HATES the old Harvard Club with the smaller brim. lol Me, I've always thought they looked so great in the old movies and now my hunt is over.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
For me, I just dampen the area I want to shape using water from the tap and wiping it on with my fingers. Then, yes, just make the adjustment and sometimes use a hairdryer ON LOW HEAT SETTING from about a foot away to hasten the time 'til it sets.

I've had my eye out for one of those Shantung Open Road style hats. I think they have a good look and feel about them.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I went ahead and tried the steam before you posted Gene. It seems to have worked, but in a different way than what I would have thought. I had to put a lot of steam to it to notice a difference. The thing is, unlike a felt hat where you kind of heat and mold it. This hat seemed to just go back to it original factory shape. But that's what I wanted anyway. I'm not sure how it will hold, only time will tell. I will probably give it a light coat of clear laquer to stiffen it up again. I've done this in the past on straw to help make them water resistant.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Cruss said:
You can steam a straw hat, but it's not the same as with a felt hat. Nonetheless, some heat will help you fix the brim. That's been my experience. You can also dunk it into a five gallon bucket of water, leave it for a minute or so, then pull it out, hand shape it, and then let it dry natural like.

A couple of years ago, I bought a soiled "George Strait" straw. I only had a few dollars invested, so I decided to wash it in cold water. A 30 minute soak in dish washing liquid, followed by a 30 minute rinse soak not only cleaned the spot, it removed almost all of the "white stuff" filler and stiffener. The result was a nice off-white hat, and you could see that beautiful weave, much better. I wore it several seasons, before giving it away. (The brim was just too big, for me.) But, I liked the results so much, I may do it to my recently acquired straw "Open Road."

jlagman

New in Town
My Christys' Adventurer recently arrived, here are some photos

Liner:

IMG_0131.jpg

Open:

IMG_0130.jpg

Creased:

IMG_0129.jpg

Side:

IMG_0127.jpg

Front:

IMG_0126.jpg

Initial impressions; I'm slightly unhappy, felt looks like it has imperfections, won't show up on camera but the felt looks a little spotty, like dirt or oil. The stitches holding the ribbon in place are very conspicuous. However the hat fits well on my head and I like the lining.

I don't think I'll return it to England because shipping it here was already pretty pricey, but the actual hat didn't cost me much anyways; you get what you pay for I guess. I plan on taking it to a local hatter for cleaning, hopefully it takes care of those dark blemishes, or perhaps that just how the felt is supposed to look. :eusa_doh:

Criticism is appreciated, I'm still getting used to seeing myself in a hat with a +5" crown.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Great hats Gene!
I like the Supernatural.... but milans are fast becoming my favorite type straw.

I've never had my hands on a milan, but I do have a couple of Montecristos and a Cuenca, and I have a couple of Akubra polypropylene straws coming. Can one of you afficionados explain the difference to me, or should I just go ahead and buy one so I can feel the difference? :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm not panning you, Bob. I just don't know much about the milans myself so I'd like it if someone who isn't guessing weighs in here.

Until then, here are my observations and guesses: They have a more irregular, coarse look to them, but it's part of their style and not especially unpleasant looking. They feel heavier/thicker and more like a tough canvas or cloth. I've encountered some with stiffener and some that are really floppy. I believe they are made by creating a chord of sorts from straw fibers and then that long chord is spiraled into a hat shape by stitching each row together as they wrap around. If I'm correct, this must be a much quicker way to arrive at a hat shape than the actual weaving, therefore the lower cost of milans.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey there, jlagman.

Thanks for sharing your new hat with us via good photos and description. That's a drag about the irregularities and a heads up to the rest of us.

As with many modern hats, the crown shape is tapered into a conical configuration which is not my favorite thing in a fedora. I prefer a fuller crown. You seem to wear it well and have done good job creasing it considering the shape, but I suggest trying to get a slightly deeper bash (= lower the crown height a degree) and try the diamond crease which tends to flare the sides out to a more vertical aspect.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
jlagman said:

Liner:

IMG_0131.jpg

Open:

IMG_0130.jpg

Creased:

IMG_0129.jpg

Side:

IMG_0127.jpg

Front:

IMG_0126.jpg

Initial impressions; I'm slightly unhappy, felt looks like it has imperfections, won't show up on camera but the felt looks a little spotty, like dirt or oil. The stitches holding the ribbon in place are very conspicuous. However the hat fits well on my head and I like the lining.

I don't think I'll return it to England because shipping it here was already pretty pricey, but the actual hat didn't cost me much anyways; you get what you pay for I guess. I plan on taking it to a local hatter for cleaning, hopefully it takes care of those dark blemishes, or perhaps that just how the felt is supposed to look. :eusa_doh:

Criticism is appreciated, I'm still getting used to seeing myself in a hat with a +5" crown.

I think the hat looks pretty good on you. I'm not sure about the spots. Being new it shouldn't have any. I think you have a good idea taking it to have it looked at. Overall I'd say you got a pretty nice hat. You shaped it fine and it fits your face well.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gene, very nice Panama. I like the wide brim better too.

Cruss, glad to have you here. I like the Stetsons and that one is very nice. Glad you posted.

D.W., I have an Open Rod shantung as well and have worn it for 7-8 years. I have tried to get it to change the brim shape slightly several times, but it seems to always go back to the factory press. Still a good hat though; I like mine very much.

Canoeing on Lake Hamilton, Hot Springs, Arkansas.
DSCF0069.jpg

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Allright...

So a couple more arrived. :eek:

I'm really very pleased about this Optimo style Panama straw. I got it for a song and the Ebay photo was not very clear. I usually get beat out on these as they often go for three digits, but now I'm glad I waited. I was hoping it would be a supple, fine weave hat and sure 'nuff it is.

And Rusty, LOOK, it's a "Supernatural" :D (but not the Cuenca type):
Beautiful Supernatural, Gene--you've got a great eye for the ebay winners! I'm going to have to start the search; March in southern California means that I won't have too much more time in my felts. :(

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
jlagman said:

Liner:

IMG_0131.jpg

Open:

IMG_0130.jpg

Creased:

IMG_0129.jpg

Side:

IMG_0127.jpg

Front:

IMG_0126.jpg

First of all, the hat looks fantastic, on you. And from any distance greater than 24" it will look that way to others.

I recently bought a Christy's Foldaway. Like you, I was initially disappointed.
My first impression was that it looks like it was manufactured by TONAK, in the Czech Republic. Your comments reinforce that possibility. Check out this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

That said, you still have a good hat. Better than any wool felt, but not as good as some hats available, today. And you probably got it for a fair price. :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
That Dobbs is one sweet looking milan!
What are the specs on it?
Looking forward to see how you 'tweeked' it.

Here's the specs and results:

Crown - dropped it to 3-3/4" at middle of front pinch, 4-1/4" max at sides, 3-3/4" at back.

Brim - 2-1/2" all around but visually shorter now with the flip up swoop thing I did to it.

Ribbon - replaced the 2-1/8" multi-colored, patterned one with a 1-5/8" wraparound, cream colored, pleated one. Unfortunately, there's a barely visible darker margin where the old band used to be. I guess the hat has faded a little. No prob.

Today, I paired it with some cream colored Cole-Haan thrift store specials:
DSC_0011.jpg

(I noticed that wild thread after I took the photo below, and trimmed it with nail clippers)
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

'Wearing it' pic in the "What hat... today" thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters