Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Uh oh, don't kill me guys, but I converted it to a Fedora with a trimmed (and cut verry carefully) brim of 2 and 1/4. I kept trying the homburg look and it REALLY wasn't working for my face. [huh] With this now being a fedora, it's less dressy meaning I'll get more use out of it... I like this brim width a lot!
IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4121-1.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
UWS Cowboy said:
Uh oh, don't kill me guys,

Quick someone distract him and I'll grab his scissors!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: [bad]

On a lighter note--Beautiful hat JJ, I love wide bindings and that one is superb! STAY AWAY FROM SCISSORS!!!!

billyspew

One Too Many
UWS Cowboy said:
Uh oh, don't kill me guys, but I converted it to a Fedora with a trimmed (and cut verry carefully) brim of 2 and 1/4. I kept trying the homburg look and it REALLY wasn't working for my face. [huh] With this now being a fedora, it's less dressy meaning I'll get more use out of it... I like this brim width a lot!

Wow. That was quick...
Personally I'd never "customise" a nice vintage hat - I'd consider it sacriledge - especially in a larger size like yours, but it is yours to do with as you please! :)

Next time I'd see if anyone wanted to trade you something more your style.

You did a pretty decent job though I must admit.

Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dear Mr. Scissorhands:

Mr. Paladin said:
Quick someone distract him and I'll grab his scissors!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: [bad]

On a lighter note--Beautiful hat JJ, I love wide bindings and that one is superb! STAY AWAY FROM SCISSORS!!!!
AARGH! :cry: shakeshead [bad]

UWSCowboy, You're not going to receive much acclamation for the cutdown of a classic Stetson Royal Deluxe St. Regis Homburg. Hopefully, the next time you'll elect to post the hat in the Classifieds for sale or trade.

I'd gladly have traded a vintage fedora of equivalent value to rescue that homburg. Fedoras are relatively easy to find. A Stetson Royal Delux St. Regis Homburg is somewhat less easily obtainable.

It's your hat. You can do what you want with it. Please give rescue a chance next time. This is one man's opinion. :cry:

Nick, Nice Whippet. Please keep it away from person's wielding sharp implements.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Nick, Nice Whippet. Please keep it away from person's wielding sharp implements.

lol Absolutely, the only thing this hat is getting is a little stretch, nothing drastic. My first Whippet, I like the style of it.

N. :)

suitedcboy

One Too Many
UWS Cowboy,
Now that you have cut it down and converted it ( a sin I also have had to seek atonement for) you can use 400 grit sandpaper to smooth the edge and give it the rounded raw edge that was the finish the factory performed.
A 1 inch by 3 inch strip folded into a "V" and then run around the edge with the edge down in the v will take off the sharpness left from being cut.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, I stopped short of trimming the brim on this one :eek: but I did modify a recent acquisition as shown below.

This Mossant Homburg came from Garrett. Great taupe color, super felt. I just didn't care for the the thin ribbon (sorry RBH!!) on this style of hat. Also, I like 'em to have a little more swoop to the front of the brim so here's the lid after some steam and the addition of a vintage deep blue ribbon and bow I had in store:

Before (color of felt not so accurate):
DSC_0015.jpg

After:
DSC_0012.jpg

In the sun for accurate color:
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

And on me showing the 'swoop':
DSC_0011.jpg

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Gene, that homburg looks like it is soft enough to turn the brim down. Is this the case? I also like the ribbon that you replaced it with. Great "wow" factor.

Here is an Australian-made Stetson Bantam I picked up. While it is not as light as a Champ Featherweight or Lee Adventure its pretty close.
Color is "Bluestone"

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Dynamite Bantam, Solo. Love colors like that.

Yeah, the Mossant is very soft, light and pliable. The brim will snap down but doesn't look good that way. It helped, though, to be able to flip it down all around while I did the ribbon replacement.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Mr. Paladin: Thank You. No scissors for me, that's for sure!

Gene: That Homburg is spectacular! I love the thin edge binding and the blue ribbon contrast, very classy.

Cowboy: I like how The St. Regis came out. I'm a fan of Homburgs, but I like how it looks now, It reminds me of a 30's tall crown short brim fedora.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
but I did modify a recent acquisition

Very nice Gene. I guess I don't get around much but I had never seen a homburg with a thin ribbon like that before. The wider one looks much better on it I think.

I would be careful showing the thin-ribbon change around too much though...RBH is lurking out here somewhere! :) :) :)

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Thanks Gene and Scion. I appreciate your comments. By the way Scion, I've been admiring that lid in your avatar. I might have missed your post about it. What is it? It certainly looks vintage and has a fantastic dove gray color.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
GoneSolo said:
Thanks Gene and Scion. I appreciate your comments. By the way Scion, I've been admiring that lid in your avatar. I might have missed your post about it. What is it? It certainly looks vintage and has a fantastic dove gray color.

GoneSolo, the hat in my avatar is an Adam Executive from the 50's. It was featured in one of Johnnyphi's auctions. The original posting I made about it is here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31275&page=2 about halfway down the page.

Thanks for the complement by the way! :)

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, I stopped short of trimming the brim on this one :eek: but I did modify a recent acquisition as shown below.

This Mossant Homburg came from Garrett. Great taupe color, super felt. I just didn't care for the the thin ribbon (sorry RBH!!) on this style of hat. Also, I like 'em to have a little more swoop to the front of the brim so here's the lid after some steam and the addition of a vintage deep blue ribbon and bow I had in store:
Beautiful Mossant, Gene--great work!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy