Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Not long ago a hat that I had commissioned from Stephen Temkin of Leon Drexler came.

It's his Stroller style in angora finish blue steel felt with a crown ribbon in a very dark grey that he calls blazer and the edge bending in a ribbon color that he calls chrome. The 2 1/4" brim is significantly narrower than is usual for me, but I was quite taken with the Stroller style as soon as I saw it and didn't want to tamper with its proportions.

I plan for this to be my cool weather 'travel hat' to wear when I'm out of town in lieu of one of my everyday fedoras. I've been thinking of getting something to give that role for a while and the character of the Stroller just seemed very right for it.

31029473781_e1212ec8c4_c.jpg

From 'on high'. (Larger version here)

31029472721_33ecee4cf3_c.jpg

From the front (Larger version here)

31029471781_896805593f_c.jpg

From the ribbon side. (Larger version here)

30775861480_41599f3f4c_c.jpg

From the plan side. (Larger version here)

30775865760_e3400a83d1_c.jpg

From the back. (Larger version here)

30775863810_b04a3fa9b7_c.jpg

The interior of the hat. (Larger version here)

I'm very pleased with this hat and look forward to wearing it to Thanksgiving. Maybe it'll encourage me to travel more.

I'm already on the hook for an eventual warmer weather counterpart, which will be similar, but in lighter colors with a wider brim and the welterweight finish. I have another quite interesting Leon Drexler hat, but no pictures at the moment, so that will have to be for another time.
I went the other way and have a Stroller in a light colour felt, that I wear as a late spring early summer hat when the weather is not quite Panama time. Stephen's work is stellar and I'm in the queue for another this spring and your hat has me thinking!!!

New to me hat I picked up at a local vintage clothing shop in Stockholm. Through his research the guy thinks it's from the 1940's based on the importer, etc. No idea how true that is, but I really like the hat!

Now just to get rid of the musty smell. It's not overwhelming but I've never bought anything vintage before and it pretty much smells exactly like the shop itself.

f8890c878a3cfd74ff1962572bd665ca.jpg

f097a6667f60013f20f7c474279d1f28.jpg

8af8b0993706c91714e93f1d20c16421.jpg

a8acc87d6b211cf5eefc8bc0b7a473d2.jpg

bebad98327921e6d638c3021f0852563.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice looking hat. Interesting maker name.

I name some of my special hats as well. You are not crazy, some names just "stick" with the personality of the hat!
I've only named a few hats & it's usually because of some memorable event or events that happened while I was wearing it. Usually stories that can't be told here. I did have a nice Stetson Gun Club back in the 80's named Shooter that had to be sacrificed & left behind one night. I've always wondered whatever happened to that hat.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
They've just shipped it so I am excited for my 'second' boater. Sadly, my Pointer School Boater was damaged and is in bad condition.... I really have to extend my collection. I hope to buy a Christy's London Top Hat (proper one, I've got a clone hehe), Another cheap vintage boater, Vintage homburg and a few other bits and pieces.

They've just shipped it so I am excited for my 'second' boater. Sadly, my Pointer School Boater was damaged and is in bad condition.... I really have to extend my collection. I hope to buy a Christy's London Top Hat (proper one, I've got a clone hehe), Another cheap vintage boater, Vintage homburg and a few other bits and pieces.
This is just the beginning.... the compulsion, next----hat hoarding!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got a Stetson Medalist Boater from ebay. Presumed 1930s, extremely good condition. Seems like owner forgot to wear it around. I will post a picture when it arrives!
Weren't straw boaters part of the raccoon-coat, boola-boola craze? Perhaps the guy bought it and then didn't have the guts to wear it, or he didn't have the cash for the coat. Always fun to speculate.

TPD166

One Too Many
Picked up this vintage (late ‘60s-early ‘70s) Resistol 5X cattleman hat last weekend in a Comfort, TX, antique shop - $21 since it has a small nick in the brim edge, otherwise it looks almost unworn. I will get Paris Hatters to trim the brim for me and already have leather braided hatband on order from Outwest Saddlery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24