Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Here is one of my "new" hats. A snap brim pork pie from the late 40's early 50's I believe. Advertised as a new "city hat with a casual country look". Theses were made by most of the companies at that time. Brushed it up and wore it yesterday! I also got a Lee "water block" in the same exact style but in grey. Will post pictures after I clean it up a bit.........
Cheers,
M
Not being a big Porkpie fan myself, this hat is a real convincing example. Back Bow is always cool, dating to the 1950s-mid 60s(?) Not having a super stingy brim is also a plus. Nice hat all around. I am really interested in seeing your new Lee. I have a couple myself. Lee preformed their hats at the factory, and advertised that feature extensively.

RJR

Stetson New York LE – Excellent Quality. Actual 5 ¾” open crown. 2 ¾” welted brim. (Stats state 5 ½” and 2 5/8” respectively). Phantom Grey. I’m not used to wearing such a wide brim, but I figured I’d give it a try. Given the crown on my last Stetson, the Nostalgia, shrank considerably, the brim size on this one should let me reblock it nicely if need be. I have to say it really is markedly different than any other modern Stetson I’ve handled. Seems very nice.

DSCN2305_zps9n5yxbbz.jpg
Nice looking.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Two new customs acquired this week.

First is from Mike at Northwest: Natural beaver felt with a 1 3/4" ribbon in Kangaroo. 5 1/2" crown when open; 2 5/8" brim width; whip-stitched edge (how cool is that?). Since Mike is such a master of the crease, I had him do the C-crown. Colors are very close to reality in the photos. More photos to be posted in the NW thread.

Next is from Gus Miller at Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati: Steel beaver felt with a 1 5/8" black ribbon. Crown height is about 5 1/2" when open; Brim width is 2 3/8"; raw edge. I ended up bashing this myself, and I may play around with it a little more. Colors are little lighter than in reality (I needed to adjust this so the details would show up). More photos in the Batsakes thread.
NWNatural-4.jpg
NWNatural-2.jpg
NWNatural-6.jpg
Batsakes-3.jpg
Batsakes-2.jpg
Batsakes-5.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
The other one that I got from Daniele. My first bowler/derby/stiff felt, this G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro & C. that was just a bit tight on him, but fits me perfectly. It is well documented and described by Daniele in the dedicated thread, so here's a few pics in it's new home.

e9a94f1a21d481e50f4e761f6743e133.jpg
afe2710327f159bbd5f1a43265f4e3fb.jpg
950b29219b16c4dc537eb23c33fb7c4f.jpg

I waited hours for the rain to stop to get pics so pardon the "raindrop down the back of the neck" face.

9fbaf0bb39c76f2521676189de368e83.jpg

I'm diggin' the look.:)

Sent from thin air using electricity and other wizardry.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
The other one that I got from Daniele. My first bowler/derby/stiff felt, this G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro & C. that was just a bit tight on him, but fits me perfectly. It is well documented and described by Daniele in the dedicated thread, so here's a few pics in it's new home.

I waited hours for the rain to stop to get pics so pardon the "raindrop down the back of the neck" face.

Really does look good on you!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

First is from Mike at Northwest: Natural beaver felt with a 1 3/4" ribbon in Kangaroo. 5 1/2" crown when open; 2 5/8" brim width; whip-stitched edge (how cool is that?). Since Mike is such a master of the crease, I had him do the C-crown. Colors are very close to reality in the photos. More photos to be posted in the NW thread.

View attachment 61234

that NW looks fantastic !!!!!!!

looks super thin.... is it ?

wonderful piece

RJR

Next is from Gus Miller at Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati: Steel beaver felt with a 1 5/8" black ribbon. Crown height is about 5 1/2" when open; Brim width is 2 3/8"; raw edge. I ended up bashing this myself, and I may play around with it a little more. Colors are little lighter than in reality (I needed to adjust this so the details would show up). More photos in the Batsakes thread. View attachment 61232 View attachment 61233 View attachment 61234 View attachment 61235 View attachment 61236 View attachment 61237
Both are nice;the binding on the NW is a unique touch.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
that NW looks fantastic !!!!!!!

looks super thin.... is it ?

wonderful piece
Yes, the felt is thinner than on any of the other custom hats I have ordered from other makers. Of course, I did not order my VS in Art Lite, since that option wasn't available for the color I wanted. At any rate, although I gave Mike no directions on pouncing the felt thin, I'm glad it came to me this way.

Next is from Gus Miller at Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati: Steel beaver felt with a 1 5/8" black ribbon. Crown height is about 5 1/2" when open; Brim width is 2 3/8"; raw edge. I ended up bashing this myself, and I may play around with it a little more. Colors are little lighter than in reality (I needed to adjust this so the details would show up). More photos in the Batsakes thread. View attachment 61232 View attachment 61233 View attachment 61234 View attachment 61235 View attachment 61236 View attachment 61237
Naturally I love the NW version of my favorite hat! Gus really puts out a nice product as well. Love the finish and color of steel. Bash is coming along nicely.

Now that is a fine hat. Go bold or go home! Really looks good on you. You should smile about it!

Not being a big Porkpie fan myself, this hat is a real convincing example. Back Bow is always cool, dating to the 1950s-mid 60s(?) Not having a super stingy brim is also a plus. Nice hat all around. I am really interested in seeing your new Lee. I have a couple myself. Lee preformed their hats at the factory, and advertised that feature extensively.
Here you go......pictures of the Lee...I am also posting a picture of the size tag from the Stetson, of note it has a nice wide sweatband. Also Interesting to note that the lining of the Stetson was made for the pork pie bash. It only extends to the bottom of the crown as formed.....NO extra material. Now on the Lee the lining extends to the full open crown and needs to be folded into the pork pie bash.......both linings are taped in and have the onion skin between the sweatband and the liner/hat.
Cheers,
Mark
Incidently backbows have been around a long time......they have been used on homburgs and bowlers dating to the late 19th century and before.....

Attachments

• 20161126_172006.jpg
    20161126_172006.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20161126_172230.jpg
    20161126_172230.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20161126_172220.jpg
    20161126_172220.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20161126_172245.jpg
    20161126_172245.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20161126_172256.jpg
    20161126_172256.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 119
Here you go......pictures of the Lee...I am also posting a picture of the size tag from the Stetson, of note it has a nice wide sweatband. Also Interesting to note that the lining of the Stetson was made for the pork pie bash. It only extends to the bottom of the crown as formed.....NO extra material. Now on the Lee the lining extends to the full open crown and needs to be folded into the pork pie bash.......both linings are taped in and have the onion skin between the sweatband and the liner/hat.
Cheers,
Mark
Incidently backbows have been around a long time......they have been used on homburgs and bowlers dating to the late 19th century and before.....
If it is indeed onion skin (kind of brownish opposed to clear plastic), this is from a much earlier period. The back bows were popular again in the 1950s, kind of a resurgence. I have seen some early 1920s and 30s back bows floating around the Lounge in my travels, not sure how old the posts were. That Stetson and Lee are really nice hats, further research is warranted. How about tags under the sweat, they are also great clues. Especially with a Stetson. There are a couple of dedicated threads to them. The keystone type size tag dates to the 1930s, although they were with a different font size and were gold embossed (?). I have a 1930s Derby and the keystone price tag has kind of a green patina to the "metal".

If it is indeed onion skin (kind of brownish opposed to clear plastic), this is from a much earlier period. The back bows were popular again in the 1950s, kind of a resurgence. I have seen some early 1920s and 30s back bows floating around the Lounge in my travels, not sure how old the posts were. That Stetson and Lee are really nice hats, further research is warranted. How about tags under the sweat, they are also great clues. Especially with a Stetson. There are a couple of dedicated threads to them. The keystone type size tag dates to the 1930s, although they were with a different font size and were gold embossed (?). I have a 1930s Derby and the keystone price tag has kind of a green patina to the "metal".

Yes, I say onion skin too......which people do use. It is indeed a sort of opaque brownish on the Stetson. With the wider sweatband, jagged keyhole size tag, early well done maple leaf crest but covered in that thin film. I think it may be mid 50's but really hard to tell. I am not sure they were using the wide sweatbands and keyhole tags by the 60's.

As for the Lee, I believe it is early to mid 60's as it does have a later "water-block" crest, as well as the plastic onion skin behind the sweat. The crest is the green Laural one. Hard to photograph because of the liner. It has a 2 1/4 inch brim to the Stetson's almost 2 1/2. Much more of an open rim in the pork pie bash than the Stetson which is really nice and tight! Both are nice and flat, though the Lee's crown is a little shorter in back.

Both have the nice brown sheepskin sweats.......

I really like them both!!

Cheers,
M

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I say onion skin too......which people do use. It is indeed a sort of opaque brownish on the Stetson. With the wider sweatband, jagged keyhole size tag, early well done maple leaf crest but covered in that thin film. I think it may be mid 50's but really hard to tell. I am not sure they were using the wide sweatbands and keyhole tags by the 60's.

As for the Lee, I believe it is early to mid 60's as it does have a later "water-block" crest, as well as the plastic onion skin behind the sweat. The crest is the green Laural one. Hard to photograph because of the liner. It has a 2 1/4 inch brim to the Stetson's almost 2 1/2. Much more of an open rim in the pork pie bash than the Stetson which is really nice and tight! Both are nice and flat, though the Lee's crown is a little shorter in back.

Both have the nice brown sheepskin sweats.......

I really like them both!!

Cheers,
M
that liner on the Stetson was not used until the late 50s
keyhole tags show up into the early 60s

post some pics of labels under the sweat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24