Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
this Cedar Brown CD showed up yesterday .
as I expected it is typical Akubra less than mediocre construction completely unimpressive hat....
It is hard as a rock and stiff as a board.
The flanging is awful
It has the famous toliker line on the brim that Akubra for some reason cannot get figured out and frankly doesn't seem to care to.
It looks to have been pounced by a child.
The color is somewhat patchy.
All of this just further solidified my opinion of Akubra hats that they are highly overrated poorly made hats made of very mediocre materials.
I should have known better but I figured I would give them one more chance... I wasted my money.
Can't say I'm disappointed because I sort of expected this... but this hat is in no way worth what I spent on it.
I know Akubra gets very hyped here and I respect those who swear by them... but this hat is a costume hat at best

So after that glowing review... who wants it?
What size is it?I like a nasty stiff hat.....for the right price.
09fb460f7245d2e53ee14f54e072792a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Wow Ant! Did you invent a time machine and go back to buy this one new! This is amazing. Made my day. Merry Christmas my friend!

Thank you sir
To you the same

This just shows you have to keep the faith. There's a pristine hat out there waiting for you.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Indeed sir
They are out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa.
Strats usually don't float my boat like they do for lots of others here, but that one is sweet.
I'd wear it.
I love the look of Strats but @ 7-5/8 the chance of owning a vintage one or willing to pay the price for one for me is slim. I have some 150th Annie Strats that I love & think of as (almost) daily hats, for what I have in them $wise (as well as my Akubra CD's) I love them even if some posters think of them as costume hats.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I love the look of Strats but @ 7-5/8 the chance of owning a vintage one or willing to pay the price for one for me is slim. I have some 150th Annie Strats that I love & think of as (almost) daily hats, for what I have in them $wise (as well as my Akubra CD's) I love them even if some posters think of them as costume hats.
not sure how you got ... all CDs are costume hats ... from "this hat is a costume hat at best"

I'm speaking about one specific hat

two of my CDs I absolutely love ...

not sure how you got ... all CDs are costume hats ... from "this hat is a costume hat at best"

I'm speaking about one specific hat

two of my CDs I absolutely love ...
Moon, everyone is entitled to their opinion & no one's opinion effects mine or how I think or choose to spend my money. So don't take this personally; I certainly don't. But just for example it has been posted several times by you that among the Stetson hat line anything below a Premier grade is just a costume hat. And I'm okay with that opinion. Doesn't change what I buy or do. I love my custom western hats & they are what I always reach for first, but there are times when I realize as I get older I want a fedora for dress, even sometimes everyday wear. I have bought some fedora Customs but am beginning to think what I really only need is 2-3 Akubras & my Annie Strats, besides my Western Customs.

Again, don't take anything I've said personally; I don't take comments that way either. We all are only here because it is enjoyable & once that stops we won't be here any longer.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, everyone is entitled to their opinion & no one's opinion effects mine or how I think or choose to spend my money. So don't take this personally; I certainly don't. But just for example it has been posted several times by you that among the Stetson hat line anything below a Premier grade is just a costume hat. And I'm okay with that opinion. Doesn't change what I buy or do. I love my custom western hats & they are what I always reach for first, but there are times when I realize as I get older I want a fedora for dress, even sometimes everyday wear. I have bought some fedora Customs but am beginning to think what I really only need is 2-3 Akubras & my Annie Strats, besides my Western Customs.

Again, don't take anything I've said personally; I don't take comments that way either. We all are only here because it is enjoyable & once that stops we won't be here any longer.

never took anything personally ... just clearing up that I do not think all CDs are costume hats

I am fond of all of your hats

I often admire very much what others wear even if it is not something I would buy for myself ... your headwear is always smashing... always !

DJH

I'll Lock Up
See, that's the problem with you "vintage" and "custom" guys--you've lost the ability to appreciate a modern mass-produced hat that someone slammed together just to get it on the shelf and make room for the next hat they have to slam together while probably getting paid not much more than minimum wage. :D

I have a Campdraft, the very first felt hat I bought - it's the bluegrass green.

When it arrived, the felt was so stiff, it felt like it was made of cardboard.

Since then, and with lots of wear (from blizzards in New England, to sweatfests in Texas) it has softened up and honestly the felt quality is as good and soft as any hat I own.

I've worn the heck out of this hat and it still looks just about perfect. A couple of years ago, I removed the liner to make it work better in warns weather and I must have re-creased it a dozen or more times.

Since then, I've bought a Tablelands (I swapped the the leather band with an Aussie pug that I bought from a bloke in Singapore) which I swear is tough enough to stop a bullet.

Sure, I have a bunch of vintage and custom hats, but my Akubras are both great hats and probably have the best cost/quality ratio of anything I own.

Cheers!
David - 21st Century Man

Since then, and with lots of wear (from blizzards in New England, to sweatfests in Texas) it has softened up and honestly the felt quality is as good and soft as any hat I own.
OT from my opinion as laid out above, but I could list several things I own that have been with me thru thick & thin, & they have earned their keep! I never gave up on them & now they ain't going anywhere as far as I'm concerned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy