Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
with great pride I introduce what is a grail piece for me

1940s Royal DeLuxe Stetson Flagship

The hat is completely flawless and looks to never have even been worn

loving the embroidered tip

the box is in good condition with a fully functioning cloth strap.

couldn't be more excited about this pristine piece of history

9fda1ecd6ab16a214147a82e89771bdd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks every bit the perfect profile, Ant! Great pickup, great crease. Congratulations, you're going to enjoy having that on your head, bro.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Congrats on the Flagship, Moon! That is a thing of true beauty.

Also a shout out to Bob Hufford on the Bee Cool! I dig those stingy milans. Rat-pack, Connery era Bond kinda coolness, and totally rockin' with the Hawaiian shirt!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have been meaning to post the Dunstatter Magical Mystery Derby all week. Well here is my latest stiff felt. This was a cheap Ebay listing with an interesting "Deerskin" box. The photos didn't do it justice, but one had a shot of the sweat and size tag which made me grab it. There is no indication as to who made this early derby, the linger logo is long gone and the ghost does not yield much information. The store it came from Dunstatter was an early century men's store on Long Island. The curl of the brim is really nice. Mike Miller fell in love with it. Very high quality stiff felt, glass smooth on the crown. The sweat is taped with the small round size tag pasted on. I assume this derby is early century, hopefully 1910s?

Nice derby! Richmond Hill is a neighborhood in Queens... geographically on Long Island, but it's NYC. The owner would not have called himself a Longislander. My guess is a little later -1920s-30s... but without tags, just a guess.

with great pride I introduce what is a grail piece for me

1940s Royal DeLuxe Stetson Flagship...

Sweet steal... sorry you had to go to jail a little for it. ;^) Is that a felted edge? Do you have some provenance with it? Red manufacturing tag photo? I've not owned one of these. I think of the Petersham mid-ribboned 12.50 Flagships as original 1946-1948. This seems 1950+ to me. But I could be all wet too.

...Call me unrefined but for some reasons, I believe that panama hats are a bit overrated. I mean fur felt is a pretty strong material compared to wool right ? but apart from the astonishing handwoven efforts, what distingues a $60 from a $500 panama hat ? In both cases we have toquilla right ? I may be wrong but I doubt that an expensive Montecristi panama hat will last me longer...
I think it is the astonishing hand woven efforts... i.e. what percentage of the weaver's life was consumed in the making of the hat.
I'm far from being knowledgeable about straw hats, but I agree with Alan.

I would make the comparison to bringing your car to a mechanic because one of the turn signal lights has stopped working. The problem might be nothing more than a $3 bulb, but the bill will be $80 because you're paying for the mechanic's time, knowledge, experience, and ability to diagnose and repair or replace the defect. Making a straw hat is a time consuming process; the finer the weave, the more time it takes. And someone could provide all of the tools and materials necessary to make a fine straw hat, but most of us wouldn't even know where to begin. With a little instruction we might be able to create something, but it would be nowhere near the quality of something produced by someone who knows what they're doing and has years of experience. Straw hats have different levels of quality just like fur felt hats, and the quality of the materials used, the weave, the craftsmanship, and the time involved determine the asking price.

Seabee Mike

New in Town
Found this at an antique store for $20. I know that Bailey Hats are still in business but no idea what specific model this one is - other than it seems to meet the criteria for a fedora. Any tips on cleaning and sprucing it up would be appreciated as well.

Attachments

• Front-1.jpg
    Front-1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Side - 2.jpg
    Side - 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Inside - 3.jpg
    Inside - 3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 125

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
I'm far from being knowledgeable about straw hats, but I agree with Alan.
I would make the comparison to bringing your car to a mechanic because one of the turn signal lights has stopped working. The problem might be nothing more than a $3 bulb, but the bill will be $80 because you're paying for the mechanic's time, knowledge, experience, and ability to diagnose and repair or replace the defect. Making a straw hat is a time consuming process; the finer the weave, the more time it takes. And someone could provide all of the tools and materials necessary to make a fine straw hat, but most of us wouldn't even know where to begin. With a little instruction we might be able to create something, but it would be nowhere near the quality of something produced by someone who knows what they're doing and has years of experience. Straw hats have different levels of quality just like fur felt hats, and the quality of the materials used, the weave, the craftsmanship, and the time involved determine the asking price.

Yup I do agree. It takes between 3 to 6 months to hand-weave a Montecristi. Again it's a magnificent piece of art.
But as we learn in philosophy classes, Art, despite its beauty, is, by definition, useless.

And I don't buy a hat to expose it preciously under a glass cloche but to wear it. @JackieMatra perfectly summarized my thoughts a couple years ago. Allow me to quote him on Montecristi hats :

a.They will fail to impress most anyone since hardly anyone is knowledgeable enough to appreciate them.
b.Even if someone is knowledgeable enough to appreciate a fine panama hat, they still have to get close enough to get a good look at it.
c.You can only safely wear them outdoors on not-too-hot sunny days, or wear them indoors.
d.Outdoors you have to be on the lookout not only for rain clouds, but also for birds and falling objects.
e.You really shouldn't do anything even mildly strenuous that might cause you to perspire while wearing one.
f.You must be certain that your hands are immaculately clean before you consider touching your hat, much less putting it on or taking it off.
g.If the hat is so tightly woven that water can be carried in it, then it probably isn't going to let much air through very easily either.
h.Do you really want to spend this much of your money on a work of art, or might there be something else you may want to do with your money?

But then maybe we should have this discussion elsewhere in another thread (?)

...And I don't buy a hat to expose it preciously under a glass cloche but to wear it...
Despite my previous post in this thread, I agree with you. If a hat can't be worn for practical purposes as well as because it's pleasing to the eye, I have no use for it. My Sunbody isn't as "pretty" as a Montecristi, but it gets the job done just as well (maybe better), it's a heck of a lot less expensive, and I don't have to handle it with "kid gloves".

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
A mixed bag of new stuff for me today.
First the sun helmet,
DSCN2872 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Navy, I guess, surplus from the 60s. In pretty much unworn condition.
DSCN2874 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The from the same store this Stetson flat cap,
DSCN2861 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN2862 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's a very open mesh sort of material,
DSCN2864 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I think they are both going to see some time as bicycling gear this summer. And finally, one you've seen before in a different context.
DSCN2860 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN2858 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN2867 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
An olive green Pilgrim kindly gifted to me by that fine gentleman Bob Hufford.
DSCN2851 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

So that's my day in new hat world,
Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot