Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey all!
A new hat, and a learning experience too. Saw this Borden on Etsy. The few pics weren't very sharp, couldn't quite tell if it was a Homburg or a fedora in need of a flanging (partly my eyes too). The seller didn't know a lot about hats, so rather than launch into an detailed description with 27 8X10 glossy color photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was, I just bought it 'cause it was cool, an unusual brand and not too expensive. Turns out it was a Homburg in need of a flanging.
So here's the learning experience part.
Not having a Homburg flange, I decided to correct the wonky brim by converting it to a fedora. Now the brim wasn't too bad, a little bent up and wonky in a couple spots, and maybe a bit lopsided. I shoulda just steamed it out and fixed it, but I had a great picture in my head of the finished product, so I went ahead and started flattening out the curl and reflanging it. Turns out it's not that simple. Got it most of the way there before I realized that the normally inconspicuous exposed stitch line for the brim binding was now very visible. That in and of itself wasn't so bad, but there was a prominent line of darker felt between that stitch line and the edge of the binding where the color had been shaded from the sun.
D'OH!
So, I began the process of recurling it by hand. And lots of steam. The end result is a little lumpy, but a lot better than I thought I could do without the proper flange.

79c161172dd7f4abdf1df6c1eae97970.jpg
108cc4f10f3f961393cfba8efa186152.jpg

Oops...forgot to iron rhe wrinkle out of the ribbon. Oh well, kinda goes with the lumpy brim.
The insides:

3fe6ecc8b708c7531fe190813057f814.jpg
f1a3b49c1f88d03f5a3389cd1633f68e.jpg
aae60efc95c9d49547a2573b2dd54346.jpg

The sweat debossment in different light:

0ae3db96dbd4271f613d0dcd622bb835.jpg

This fell out from behind the slightly dry sweat while applying Lexol.

144c13954eedaf5674b6319306c08d22.jpg

Unfortunately it crumbled while trying to get good pics. I saw a small factory tag under the sweat, but it's mostly under the reed tape and I want to let the Lexol work it's magic and get a smaller camera than my tablet before I try for a pic.
The open crown is 5 3/4", the brim 2 1/2" 128g. The felt is soft, nicely finished, not overly stiffened. The fit is wonderful.
So, I am going to make a guess of early 50's on this one. Any thoughts and input always welcome.

Powered by happy thoughts

Cuz....you and Moon are about to make me lay a whipping on my bank account. I'm digging this one a whole lot!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ain't nuthin but money. What was it you once said to me, "money, more of it always seems to come around." I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. Kinda like a new girlfriend. "I wasn't looking for one when this one came along."

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Nice looking hat and great save, moe.

What Fruno said, moe. I like it.
Thanks guys! I'm just glad that the felt still retained some memory of the curl. And also that the curl wasn't the sharply in-turned type like on my '28 Dobbs or my '69 P. & C. Habig Wien...that would have been way harder to fake by hand.

Last edited:
Hey all!
A new hat, and a learning experience too. Saw this Borden on Etsy. The few pics weren't very sharp, couldn't quite tell if it was a Homburg or a fedora in need of a flanging (partly my eyes too). The seller didn't know a lot about hats, so rather than launch into an detailed description with 27 8X10 glossy color photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was, I just bought it 'cause it was cool, an unusual brand and not too expensive. Turns out it was a Homburg in need of a flanging.
Not having a Homburg flange, I decided to correct the wonky brim by converting it to a fedora. Now the brim wasn't too bad, a little bent up and wonky in a couple spots, and maybe a bit lopsided. I shoulda just steamed it out and fixed it, but I had a great picture in my head of the finished product, so I went ahead and started flattening out the curl and reflanging it. Turns out it's not that simple. Got it most of the way there before I realized that the normally inconspicuous exposed stitch line for the brim binding was now very visible. That in and of itself wasn't so bad, but there was a prominent line of darker felt between that stitch line and the edge of the binding where the color had been shaded from the sun.
D'OH!
So, I began the process of recurling it by hand. And lots of steam. The end result is a little lumpy, but a lot better than I thought I could do without the proper flange.

Oops...forgot to iron rhe wrinkle out of the ribbon. Oh well, kinda goes with the lumpy brim.
The insides:

Unfortunately it crumbled while trying to get good pics. I saw a small factory tag under the sweat, but it's mostly under the reed tape and I want to let the Lexol work it's magic and get a smaller camera than my tablet before I try for a pic.
The open crown is 5 3/4", the brim 2 1/2" 128g. The felt is soft, nicely finished, not overly stiffened. The fit is wonderful.
So, I am going to make a guess of early 50's on this one. Any thoughts and input always welcome.

Powered by happy thoughts
Really an interesting brand, don't think this one has come across the lounge. I like the magic you worked on it. Impressive.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Really an interesting brand, don't think this one has come across the lounge. I like the magic you worked on it. Impressive.
Thanks Red! Just glad I didn't screw it up too bad!
I just remembered I have anothrr Borden. It's a more modern short brimmed fuzzy black one made by Borden for Jay Lord that I bought from Fruno a couple of years ago. I thought the name sounded familiar.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Moehawk, wonderful hat!!

These two arrived the other day, finally got around to taking some photos.

Stetson "Standard Quality" c. late-30s to 40s.
Color is olive/grey with hints of tan and a reddish-brown felt added to the mix.

Next is a c. 1940s-50s Stetson No.1 Quality.
This hat comes sized in a whopping 7 5/8. The felt is a light tan/grey color with a light pink ribbon.

Moehawk, wonderful hat!!

Color is olive/grey with hints of tan and a reddish-brown felt added to the mix.

This hat comes sized in a whopping 7 5/8. The felt is a light tan/grey color with a light pink ribbon.

Great finds Justin.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moehawk, wonderful hat!!

beautiful

I had my eye on that Standard ... glad someone hear snagged it

Moehawk, wonderful hat!!

Another great haul Justin! The felt highlights in that Standard are really cool.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Moehawk, wonderful hat!!

Thanks splintercellsz!
You got a couple of sweet scores there yourself!:)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey all!
D'OH!

The insides: