Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:
Hard to beat this one for my first ( ;) ) Whippet. Aside from what appears to be a new ribbon treatment, this thing is in really ( REALLYreallyreallyreally... ) good shape. The fit is fantastic with a surprisingly supple sweatband ( how's that for alliteration? ). I'm gonna enjoy this one!

Nice one, Kiltie -- and looks good on you, as well. Congrats.

Incidentally, do you find the suprisingly supple sweatband seriously satisfying...? :p

Cheers,
JtL

billyspew

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
I have a copy of a 1947 ad for an Adam Executive that lists the price as $7.50. The same ad states that "Adam hats are priced at $4.95, $6.00, $7.50 and $8.45." It's not clear to me what quality designation might have been above the Executive -- although that price may have been reserved for more formal lids like a Homburg.

I would think that the $8.95 price for your Adam Executive might place it in the mid to late 50's...(?).

Cheers,
JtL

That's interesting to know.
Of the two I have, they have the same dimensions, crease etc but the ribbons are different. The price under the sweat on the grey one is $7.50, but the brown doesn't have one.
Maybe the ribbon is a way of dating?
Picture:
3419617504_a684a0ce3e.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
That's interesting to know.
Of the two I have, they have the same dimensions, crease etc but the ribbons are different. The price under the sweat on the grey one is $7.50, but the brown doesn't have one.
Maybe the ribbon is a way of dating?

Billy -- it might be useful for you to post photos of the liners of the two hats (or links to the johnnyphi auctions) to see how they compare.

Cheers,
JtL

billyspew

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Billy -- it might be useful for you to post photos of the liners of the two hats (or links to the johnnyphi auctions) to see how they compare.

Cheers,
JtL

Here you go:

Not exactly the same shot, but the liner is the same, the bows are different colours, the size tags are in different locations and the Adam logo on the sweatband is bigger on the grey.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Torpedo, love that blue dobbs!!

semi :eek:fftopic: - I'm thinking of picking up a vintage cervo - but first I wanted to know from any experts how good of quality these hats are/were? Will vintage cervo hats hold up in heavy rain etc.?

kiltie

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Nice one, Kiltie -- and looks good on you, as well. Congrats.

Incidentally, do you find the suprisingly supple sweatband seriously satisfying...? :p

Cheers,
JtL

So much so I'm sure it would sate the most discriminating among us.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
I have a copy of a 1947 ad for an Adam Executive that lists the price as $7.50. The same ad states that "Adam hats are priced at $4.95, $6.00, $7.50 and $8.45." It's not clear to me what quality designation might have been above the Executive -- although that price may have been reserved for more formal lids like a Homburg.

I would think that the $8.95 price for your Adam Executive might place it in the mid to late 50's...(?).

Cheers,
JtL

I've only got a handful of Adam ads, and this is the only one I've got with a price of 8.95. As you can see, it doesn't list quality designations to match the prices.
adamlife-12-14-1959.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I've only got a handful of Adam ads, and this is the only one I've got with a price of 8.95. As you can see, it doesn't list quality designations to match the prices.

Nice one. Looks like that particular ad identifies three distinct price points. If there continued to be one level up from the Executive Quality, then the Executive Quality would have been priced at $8.95. Looks like a very good bet.

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
HarpPlayerGene...

Man! That is one unique bash job :eusa_doh: What do you call that? ;)
Did the seller represent it as such? That just may be the start of a new trend.

Not a bash as much as a 'smush' I'd say. lol

The seller showed the hat as having detached sweatband and loose liner. Also apparent was a kink in the crown and some staining. The seller's photos and description were fairly thorough so I knew what I was getting into and I rolled the dice. The problems started to happen when she entrusted follow-through to a shipping center she had hired. They not only took too long to ship but they stuffed a 13+" diameter hat into a 10" x 10" x 7" carton. I'm glad it survived at all and I informed the shipper to get a handle on her situation or risk real fallout in the future.

Looking great - again - in that snap brim and aloha combo!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Kiltie - Congrats on that Whippet!! That hat as well as the wide brim and binding version of Knox's Tom & Jerry are fedora perfection in my book. I have a Whippet in the same color as yours but no where near as good of condition. You did well. Very versatile color and timeless style.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo - You got 'da blues pretty good there, pal. That Dobbs is fantastic. The color, the age and the condition all add up to a great addition to anyone's collection. Glad it found its way to yours.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
adamlife-12-14-1959.jpg

Thanks for the info. You, too, JTL.

The hat on the guy to the far left looks like my hat. The hat has a mid-to-late 50's feel to me.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
AFTER USING WATER:

It's riding a little high here. I went back and molded in that little hump in the middle of the crown needed for it to settle down on my head just a touch.
DSC_0018.jpg

That is a great job of hat CPR, Gene! I would never have thought your first photo could become that. Super job!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My new E-Bay Stetson Open Road arrived yesterday. After a good brushing and steaming to reshape the brim and side dents, it is ready to go. It was made for Kallison's, a San Antonio shop. I have not yet checked Google for info on the shop but the hat is nice. It is the stiff western style but since I am partial to the cattleman's creased OR anyway, it will stay as is. The only flaw is three distinct moth bites under the brim. One is in the front near the leading edge and I can see it in my peripheral vision. The only time I have not asked about moth bites....:( :

E-bayOR002.jpg

E-bayOR003.jpg

E-bayOR004.jpg

E-bayOR005.jpg

E-bayOR006.jpg

The color is good in the photos (at least on my monitor); a very nice golden tan with slightly darker ribbon and binding.

Kiltie, do you know of Kallison's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart