Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
How did you reattach the sweat?I need to do one.

I sewed it. It's a tedious process.

This one is not a good example of how to properly do that job. The hat was actually too small to begin with so I sized it up without the sweatband in and with the outer ribbon loose. Then I had to accept a gap in the sweatband instead of a connected seam at the back when I got done reinstalling it.

I also had to trim away a fair amount of the width of the sweatband because the original threads had pulled through the now tender vintage leather. In this case, I also had to jettison the ferrule and reeding, sewing the modified original sweatband directly to/through the straw.

This would have been a good candidate for a new sweatband either by virtue of buying a replacement from HatSupply or sending to Optimo in Chicago to do it right. But if I can at all possibly save the original part, I do. I also like to avoid paying and waiting for outside services for a straw that's around 250 WPI.

For your Peets, for instance, it might be well worth having Optimo do a refurb.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
It's this one that needs resown.The old thread is giving out,the sweatband is still fine.

P1030835.jpg
[/IMG]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
No tape and reed on that one, which makes it far more problematic. I think Optimo has the sewing machine that can do those, but I don't remember for sure. I don't think anyone else has one.

It would look something like this:

SweatSewing.jpg

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
This came yesterday.Stetson one hundred....:)

Very nice. :eusa_clap

The soft side dents are interesting, giving the hat a little bit of a fedora look, but with a little cattleman mixed in - the same country/city mix that has always made the OR popular. Is that your doing, or did you receive it that way?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Cheap and Chearfull

3414337452_e950ece5cc_m.jpg

3414360710_cbace356fd_m.jpg

3413517765_de412490bf_m.jpg

3414346720_cd048e9540_m.jpg

(Its not High end Luxe)

I came across this Hat at a Market Stall, at a little seaside town I visited today, its new, and I assumed it was a soft tweed, but on picking it up it seemed to feel like heavy duty commercial grade carpeting!!! after getting over the shock, I had a look at the label (or lack of) MADE IN CHINA 80% Acrylic 10% cotton, However i did like it and considered it may well be the perfect waterproof hat for the coming Winter in the Antipodes, which tends to be wet, and at $10.00 (AU) I could not resist it

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Adam Executive?

Here's the Adam I won on a buy-it-now earlier this week. The lining just reads "Adam," but the sweatband reads "Executive Quality." Is this an Adam Executive?

The hat is in great shape. Slight yellowing in the liner. That's it. It was dusty, but a good brushing took care of that. The photos don't quite get the color. It's a cinnamon brown.

Any tips on dating an Adam? I've read on other threads that they were a major brand of the 40's and 50's. When did they go out of business? This hat came in it's original box - sale price: $8.95.

Adam001.jpg

Adam002.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Gilgamark, that's a whole lot of hat for the original price of $8.95. My instinct, based on that price point, is that it's from the earlier range of the '40s - '50s notion. Great looking hat on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80