Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My newest acquisitions...

For the summer, two linen Newsboys (the gray needs some tweeking due to a packing fold).
IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

And my first Penman Fedora!
FaceB.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 said:

That's a great fedora. I also really like that second newsboy - did you order those new?

Yesterday I picked up a Wormser on ebay that I'm hoping will have a similar look/feel:

Wormser on ebay

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
That's a great fedora. I also really like that second newsboy - did you order those new?

Yesterday I picked up a Wormser on ebay that I'm hoping will have a similar look/feel:

Wormser on ebay

That Wormser is sweet! I love fat ribbons.

I favor the second newsboy, too. The other, we'll see. [huh] I have limited luck in the gray spectrum with newboys.
Both are new from Hatsplus.com, Capas brand.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool.....

CRH said:
I'm not sure whether this one is from wheat or oat straw but it feels like it could divert bullets - or iron clad hooves or falling rafters or - well, like any hard hat should.

hpim07561.jpg

hpim07621.jpg

hpim07641.jpg

hpim07631.jpg

Brought to you by the folks who breed working Belgians in black, brown and white - with or without socks*.

*black with 4 white socks costs extra :D.
Looks like a tall ventilated Boater. :D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
That fedora is outstanding. Typing in Hatsplus.com got me nothing. I went to Hats Plus Ltd and could find no mention of a Penman anything. Do you have a link to this hat? Thanks.

I might need to make my reply a little clearer. Sorry about that. :eek:

The Hats Plus reply refers to the Newsboys only. I got them new from here; http://www.hats-plus.com/
Also, apologies for leaving out the "-" yet again! :eusa_doh:

The Penman is a custom hat made by one of our members, BendingOak (John Penman). He started with Indy hats, but has broadened his offerings recently. You can find him here;
http://www.penmanhats.com/ He offers beaver and rabbit felt, his communication is excellent, and his wait time is currently about 3 months. I don't know how long he'll be able to hold it there, though! lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You're really picking up some interesting hats.

This hat struck me as strange. It looks like someone spent a lot of time weaving the crown, but ran too close to the deadline on the brim - though I can't see the brim looking as fancy as the crown. Throw in the obvious stitches in the ribbon and I just don't know what to make of it - but I keep coming back to look at it.
rlk said:

I don't know that I could carry this one, but I really like it.
rlk said:

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not-Bogart13 said:

FaceB.jpg

The new Penman looks really nice, NB. Looks like it has a nice wide brim binding. What are the specs on that one and how would you compare it to your VS customs?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
The new Penman looks really nice, NB. Looks like it has a nice wide brim binding. What are the specs on that one and how would you compare it to your VS customs?

Specs; 2 5/8" brim with 7/8" binding. 5 1/2" open crown, 1 1/2" ribbon. Right now, that's his widest binding, and the only wider ribbon he has is 2"... a bit much for just a 5 1/2" crown, I thought. He's working on getting more variety.

As to a comparison - John will be the first to admit that he's not up to Art's level. Art has loads of experience over John - not just in making hats, but in doing that sort of work. I'm guessing (because I've never seeing first-hand) that this is what an early VS would have been like.
The pouncing job is as good as any Art has done, and the finish is exactly like my VS steel hat, which I love. Sweatband attachment is great. Materials are of the same quality.
John's bow work isn't quite up to Art's yet, at least with a non-Indy bow, but he hides the stitches well, and the work is not bad by any means.
The weakest area is the binding. However, John is very new to that... very new.
So, over all, considering the relative levels of experience, I'd say the Penman compares pretty well.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I guess...eek

I am just now tallying up in my head how many 1940s vintage ladies hats could be gotten for that same amount of money...

Gosh, if I ever thought to get a fedora for myself, it would probably be a vintage men's one anyway. Or a ladies vintage ala' Ingrid's in Casablanca.Though one hatter's website has recreated the lady's fedora style of hat worn in the film "The Lover" (haven't seen it)- that looks pretty sweet. The vendor has slipped my minds... they did hats for "Seabiscuit".

Lefty said:
I guess the price of cashmere blends has gone up a bit. :eek:

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
My Stetson Royal de Luxe

Not the best pics, from my cellphone.
I'm very happy with my vintage Royal de Luxe.. clean, beautiful hat.. It's my second hat, so don't have much to compare it with, but I likes!!

DSC01007.jpg

Stetson1.jpg

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
This looks great on you! Where did you get it??Thanks for sharing this pic.

I'm behind on my hat pics here, so I'm scrolling back some pages to get caught up...

Thanks, I got it at Arnold Hatters in NYC. I'm wearing it a lot now.
ok.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
The Penman is a custom hat made by one of our members, BendingOak (John Penman). He started with Indy hats, but has broadened his offerings recently. You can find him here;
http://www.penmanhats.com/ He offers beaver and rabbit felt, his communication is excellent, and his wait time is currently about 3 months. I don't know how long he'll be able to hold it there, though! lol

Thanks for the clarification, NB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner