Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, thanks, gents. :) I bought it pretty reasonably but I've got $100 in it at Optimo so I'm gonna wear it.

I like the Homberg on you too, GWD. Your features lend well to a narrow brim, plus we're used to seeing you in them. That one is a great brown color, and the wide ribbon and brim binding look really good on it.

Bingles

A-List Customer
I do like it.. especially with that suit.. but I think it would look better if you had the goatee back. [huh]

GWD said:
More details on the Homburg Nation Thread

web.jpg

web.jpg

Yes or No????

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Visigoth said:
Traded a couple of Sinatra lids to Mr. Frijoli for this lovely beast, which he in turn won at a Johnnyphi auction. I just finished rebashing it to look a little less factory-blocked. Currently my fave lid. Anyone care to put a year on it? (My uneducated guess: 1935-1941. Price tag was $7.95, which for an Executive seems inexpensive, hence early.)

I'd say late '40s or early '50s from what I see here and in the auction thread.

BobC

This was a good day. Two hats arrived while I was at work. This one came from the bay. That's why it looks a little wet. ;)

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

The teardrop is the result of my trying to follow JtL's tutorial except that I used water instead of steam. I feel more comfortable that way.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
You gentlemen are such enablers! I can't believe I just bought...

myself a Bailey! I was just over at Nordstrom, getting the RL linen wide leg ladies trousers that went down to a really good sale price...

On the way out, I stopped in at the ladies hat department, hoping to find something fun but vintage looking- maybe Ingrid Bergman Casablanca-ish ... yeah right. Sigh...

And then it happened... For some strange reason I turned round and walked across the aisle... and decided to look in the men's dept to see what they had- hoping they might have some panamas.

And then I saw it... picked it up, looked inside and said out loud "Oh, its a Bailey."

I couldn't help it...I had to put it on... the medium fit me perfectly. One look in the mirror and SOLD! Slightly glazed look in eyes... bemused half smile... barely able to speak... except to ask him to cut the tag so I can wear it out... no, I don't need it bagged or boxed... handing over of credit card to salesman... I'll just take the receipt and put it in my [vintage corde'] purse, thank you...

The color of this Bailey panama is what I would call an most unusual color compared to what I see here on FL . Its almost like uh... warm toast? I'll be wanting to change the ribbon for a better color for me wearing it as opposed to a gentleman. Its got an almost 1-1/8" olive ribbon, the brim is 2-1/2". Its a classic fedora shape with a teardrop tight crease in the top, finger pinched in the front.

I blame all of you entirely for this purchase. Posting pictures daily of gorgeous hats new and vintage here in the hat section... The fabulous campdrafts, amazing homburgs, glorious stetsons...vintage panamas, even- gasp! the cocoa colored Miller Milan (serious swoon) and those wonderful fedoras of all type and colors- how much did you all think a poor gal like me could take!!

I'll get DH to take a pic of me wearing it asap, I promise. I'm going to order the FL pin and place it on the ribbon at the bow knot, right next to the Bailey metal logo. And yes I know, worthlesswithoutpics

I may hyperventilate... I'm literally shuddering with sheer hat delight here as I type, its an amazing feeling:p - what a thrill!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well done, Bob, on that Optimo re-do and your Whippet pick up. Nicely bashed as well. The water works fine doesn't it.

Carey, why are these hats so magical. I can't totally figure it, but who cares right? They just are.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dark Teal Stetson No.1 Quality

3445758342_8cf0e59dc1.jpg
3445743204_1d62e6b80c.jpg

3445747968_79f2a1864a.jpg
3444921481_26f462e95a.jpg

3445732542_2b8f05e16f.jpg
3444937615_cda58f3400.jpg

3444828905_9d6d635764.jpg
3444829213_5bd6f595e1.jpg

Stiff 3" Brim. Pinch front and teardrop seems original with no sign of cattleman's crease. I don't know if its the original box as its missing the insert but has the paper protector. Near perfect condition. A true size 7 so I have 3 choices. Display only, resize or preserve it for another with the appropriate cranium.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stetson

I have a Stetson that is much plusher, softer, of higher quality, than any Stetson I've owned. There's nothing in the label that indicates such high quality other than '3X Beaver Quality', which many hats have. The hat seems brand new, and so soft (even the sweatband) that I could roll it up with no ill effects. Any ideas as to age, etc, based on these pics?

StetsSide.jpg

StetsNoBash.jpg

StetsSweat.jpg

StetsLnr.jpg

StetsLabel.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I agree. I'd put it at early 40's.

Interesting to see that the gold liner logo was in use at this time -- albeit in a slightly more ornate style than later versions.

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:

Interesting to see that the gold liner logo was in use at this time -- albeit in a slightly more ornate style than later versions.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks guys - this one was a real surprise when I opened the box. Quality is so good it makes me want to throw a new Stetson I paid $150 for in the trash...not quite, but you know what I mean :)

feltfan

carouselvic said:
prior to late 40's
I agree. And I have a Stetson 3X (Mode Edge) of
around the same vintage (same liner and logo).
At first I didn't tumble to its quality. Now I realize
it is a truly remarkable hat. Those 3 Xs are superior
to any Xs you find around these days! A superior felt. Enjoy.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
BobC said:
This was a good day. Two hats arrived while I was at work. This one came from the bay. That's why it looks a little wet. ;)
Bob, that's a gorgeous whippet...congratulations. It's one of the hats I aspire to...if only there weren't so much competition in my head size!

Hope you were able to climb out of the bay unharmed! :D

rlk, very nice color on that Stetson!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
I agree. And I have a Stetson 3X (Mode Edge) of
around the same vintage (same liner and logo).
At first I didn't tumble to its quality. Now I realize
it is a truly remarkable hat. Those 3 Xs are superior
to any Xs you find around these days! A superior felt. Enjoy.

Thanks. I also found a $16.50 price tag. Seems pricey for that period.

GWD

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:

Cheers,
JtL

I humbly disagree, the earlier Stetson's I've seen with that Circular logo have the names of the cities around the outside, New York,Philadelphia, Paris and London

I'm guessing this one late forties to mid fifties. And the price would indicate that too. Weren't the 3x hats all $15.00 in the forties?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
my Bailey straw/panama

Just had DH snap these, wanted to get the nails done first and have makeup on for the photos.
Gee, I'm such a girl... Vintage 1940s eyeglasses, new silk blouse, new vintage-inspired Miriam Haskell pearl cuff. Most likely will change out the olive ribbon for same width in black.

straight on front view
361584306.jpg

a bit of profile
361584331.jpg

from back with head up to show the tight teardrop
361584317.jpg

inside shot showing Bailey logo, ooh nice 40s nails!
361584324.jpg

showing hand woven in Ecuador stamp
361584310.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner