Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
buler said:
3449319020_0ca4248a4d_o.jpg

3448504385_f6298a1e3c_o.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Impressive additions gentlemen - and lady ;) .

This pale blue/grey Stetson Royal DeLuxe arrived today. It also has that wonderful vintage felt and is easily rollable.

The liner is long gone (but I'm pretty sure it once had one) along with any model name it may have displayed. The pugaree seems factory installed.

Any ideas about which model of Stetson this was?
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Check out the dry creasing this thing accepts:
DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
feltfan said:
I agree. And I have a Stetson 3X (Mode Edge) of
around the same vintage (same liner and logo).
At first I didn't tumble to its quality. Now I realize
it is a truly remarkable hat. Those 3 Xs are superior
to any Xs you find around these days! A superior felt. Enjoy.

Agreed!

In those days the Xs were worth looking at.
IMHO Stetson still puts a fine finish on their hats. I would like to see more
of the Pinnacle quality felt made of course.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Any ideas about which model of Stetson this was?

DSC_0005.jpg

Privateer.jpg

Gene -- I'm thinking you may well have scored the mythical and elusive Stetson Privateer. Sure does look that way. That is a great lid and a fantastic find!!! Congrats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
Gene, you are a lucky,lucky man! That hat is a beauty.

Gene and rlk seem to be cool-hat magnets, but you sport some pretty awesome headware yourself, Douglas.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I bought them, she wears them. Would a link be more appropriate?

Been getting a few hats for the Bride. 6 7/8th go so low i can't stop myself.
CIMG0956.jpg

CIMG0954.jpg

CIMG0957.jpg

The Champ Space Weight. Just came today.

CIMG0964.jpg

Her favorite, the resistol.

CIMG0967.jpg

Disney

CIMG0969.jpg

CIMG0968.jpg

Stetson

CIMG0975.jpg

CIMG0978.jpg

She said the crown was too high so it became my first pork pie make over.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino Mascotte

I just received this one today. The brim is 2 1/8 on the sides, 2 1/4 on the ends - I know there's a word for that, but I don't remember. In any event, it works well on my skinny head and it's typical high-quality Borsalino felt. I thought this one was from around 1950 based on a similar one Jimmy the lid has, but it just feels newer than that.

Thanks everyone, for all the instructions on steaming and re-bashing - I now feel quite confident to just jump right in and go for it. First pic is the 'before' from ebay, second two are after steaming - it isn't a really clean job, but I'm very pleased - the crown was a little shallow, so it took getting creative.

None of these pics actually capture the color - it's basically just dark grey.

BorsBefore.jpg

Borsbash1.jpg

Borsbash2.jpg

BorsMascotteLnr.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Nice job, Scott. A huge improvement there.

Thanks guys. Just noticed I've already lost that red size tag. Bob - don't worry about me getting in your way any more on Borsalinos. My hat racks are filled. I'll warn you that they run a little small - I'm a 7 1/4, and I have two that are slightly small. The two 7 3/8 are a perfect fit.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Gene -- I'm thinking you may well have scored the mythical and elusive Stetson Privateer. Sure does look that way. That is a great lid and a fantastic find!!! Congrats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Cheers,
JtL

Thanks for the info - I think you're right!! I couldn't place it. That's cool. Turns out, I also have a Stetson Privateer hat box in great condition from a previous purchase. It came to me containing some other kind of hat, but now, based on that old ad you pulled, I guess I've got the kit.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Thanks for the info - I think you're right!! I couldn't place it. That's cool. Turns out, I also have a Stetson Privateer hat box in great condition from a previous purchase. It came to me containing some other kind of hat, but now, based on that old ad you pulled, I guess I've got the kit.

Very cool!

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Thanks guys. Just noticed I've already lost that red size tag. Bob - don't worry about me getting in your way any more on Borsalinos. My hat racks are filled. I'll warn you that they run a little small - I'm a 7 1/4, and I have two that are slightly small. The two 7 3/8 are a perfect fit.

Thanks for the size tip, Scott. And don't give that getting in my way thing another thought. A friend of mine taught me not long ago that to catch the big fish, it's the size of your bait that counts. lol

barrowjh

One Too Many
Lee Derby (bowler) brown

Here is a bowler I won on OFAS auction 270361263154 closed March 26 '09:
041709002-1.jpg

The seller was unsure of the size, and it must have fit 6 7/8ths when it arrived, could not get it on my head. So, lexol to the leather (front and backside) and put a stretcher in it overnight, and it yielded easily to fit 7 1/8th with no distortion, so it must have been at least a 7 and might have originally been 7 1/8th.
041709003.jpg

Yup, das right, if the fur too tight, stretch it all night . . .

041709010.jpg

041709013.jpg

I also used a little steam to 'refresh' the front-to-back curve and curl the sides tight. One final pic using flash:
041709006.jpg

I still want a medium brown bowler, but for $19.99 plus $10 shipping, this comes close and was just too good to pass up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy