Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
Here is a bowler I won on OFAS auction 270361263154 closed March 26 '09:
041709002-1.jpg

Jeff, you've really got a knack for finding super deals on wonderful old bowlers and Homburgs. That is a beaut'!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett Hoosier, Rebashed

One of three gorgeous hats to arrive from DOUGLAS, in trade for Borsalinos. I spent hours putting this into shape -- the center dent was causing a severe taper from side to side, so I decided to put a deep diamond bash into it, with a sort of sine-wave profile. Mr. Fawcett's ribbon is truly inspired. (I still can't get over the quality of the hats D sent me. I'll post the other two when I've creased them.)

3454064444_7b4f6a5459_b.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Visigoth said:
One of three gorgeous hats to arrive from DOUGLAS, in trade for Borsalinos. I spent hours putting this into shape -- the center dent was causing a severe taper from side to side, so I decided to put a deep diamond bash into it, with a sort of sine-wave profile. Mr. Fawcett's ribbon is truly inspired. (I still can't get over the quality of the hats D sent me. I'll post the other two when I've creased them.)

Doug, that hat looks fantastic! That ribbon does have a special look to it.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
It really is a great lid. I suspect (while knowing nothing), that it feels like hats did in the age before really thin felt came into fashion (mostly for economic reasons). This is a *solid* hat.

tedre

New in Town
My hat collection

Hi there,
Long time reader, first time poster! I really enjoy viewing this site.

Here's my collection. It started with the cowboy hat bought on holidays in Mexico. I wear glasses, and after discovering how well it kept the sun's glare out of my lenses, I went on to get the straw one from Berkely hat Shop, and finally the Biltmore Royal felt fedora from the factory in Canada.
After discovering your site, and from that Ebay, I got my little boy a very cool Resistol. I'd love to buy many more, but we live in a small place, so due to storage, I've been vetoed from getting more.

2478531290105062925S500x500Q85.jpg

2491159430105062925S500x500Q85.jpg

2115000590105062925S500x500Q85.jpg

2612734400105062925S500x500Q85.jpg

2023953210105062925S500x500Q85.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
tedre said:
Hi there,
Long time reader, first time poster! I really enjoy viewing this site.

Here's my collection. It started with the cowboy hat bought on holidays in Mexico. I wear glasses, and after discovering how well it kept the sun's glare out of my lenses, I went on to get the straw one from Berkely hat Shop, and finally the Biltmore Royal felt fedora from the factory in Canada.
After discovering your site, and from that Ebay, I got my little boy a very cool Resistol. I'd love to buy many more, but we live in a small place, so due to storage, I've been vetoed from getting more.

Let me help you out...
Use the "link to it" link and copy the forum text.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
New Cavanagh

Brim is 2 1/2 front, almost 2 3/4 on sides. I don't have any hats that come up on the brim sides like this, but it doesn't look like a Homburg either, so I humbly admit ignorance and ask for rookie enlightenment. I steamed out part of the crease along the binding, but perhaps that's design and I should leave as-is?

Bottom pics show after cleaning, re-bashing. It has a solid brown size tag, and all other construction is almost exactly like a Dobbs I have. I'm thinking late '50s? Can anyone confirm?

The before pic (bad indoor lighting, actually black)

Cav1.jpg

After pics (correct color)

CavAftFrt.jpg

CavAftSide.jpg

CavAftLnr.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Could be any time in the '40s or '50s, just can't say for sure.

It's in nice shape. It is a Homburg, Cavanagh-style.

Brad

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I was under the impression that homburgs had hard edges. I've had three fedoras with seriously curled brims like this -- they looked odd snapped down in front, but I was told they were still fedoras, because the edge of the brim was soft. I'm trying to bash one now so that I can snap the brim: I've wet the binding, and am stretching the ribbon in front so that it doesn't curl. Seems to be working, slowly.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Visigoth said:
I was under the impression that homburgs had hard edges. I've had three fedoras with seriously curled brims like this -- they looked odd snapped down in front, but I was told they were still fedoras, because the edge of the brim was soft. I'm trying to bash one now so that I can snap the brim: I've wet the binding, and am stretching the ribbon in front so that it doesn't curl. Seems to be working, slowly.

I got most of that curl out by steaming and working with my fingers, but some came back when it dried. In any event, I can't wear Homburgs, so this experiment will have to work.

If I wear a Homburg, it looks something like this:

idiots009.jpg

tedre

New in Town
Cheers!

Thanks for the welcomes.
Hey Goose, you should definitely get your grandson a flat cap. They're a lot more practical, as young kiddies tend to destroy anything not well held together, plus there can be some room to grow.
Here's a cap we also got for our boy, and he's still wearing it a year later, despite being a larger size now. He even puts it on himself. Grabbing a hat means we're going for a walk, and he loves that.

2383491950105062925S500x500Q85.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy