Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
More on my pilgrimage to Byrnie Utz hats. I had to buy something. We were running out of time, spent too much time visiting with the Owner, and had to make a quick decision. The store was picked over pretty good, nothing but little and extra huge! Brent would have been in heaven! I could have spent $300 on a modern Borsalino, but that was not in the cards. Woolies galore and modern Stetsons...most in 7 3/4. At the last minute (they wanted to close) I grabbed a funky little Capas open weave stingy for $35.00. Lipstick (Puggaree) on a pig and I said goodbye to the oldest hat store in Seattle. It was a whirlwind stop, but I did get something. I needed a hat for the unusually hot temps in Seattle that weekend anyway. Really need it here in Oregon with 90+ days all week.

Don't judge me.

View attachment 129935 View attachment 129936 View attachment 129937

I wish it was closer. A hat store full of 7 3/4 hats, are you kidding me!

Good find on the Rainbow too. It’s on my wish list along with a Game Bird. I might be wishing a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish it was closer. A hat store full of 7 3/4 hats, are you kidding me!

Good find on the Rainbow too. It’s on my wish list along with a Game Bird. I might be wishing a long time.

Of course, what is there is modern stuff, but they are big (and small). There were some other 7 1/4 hats in stock, I just didn't want (or have time) to spend $150 on a new Stetson when I can spend that kind of money on vintage. It was an experience though. I'll be posting a lot of Utz shop pictures in the appropriate thread.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Came home this afternoon to a package.....woohooo. The Texas Hatter Hi-Roller 100. First off, why do people pack with damn styrofoam peanuts, they went everywhere when I opened the box. :( Second, the color is 100% natural beaver, the ebay photos made it look like bone or silverbelly. Much better in natural beaver. :) Excellent condition, no moth bites, clean, just out of shape, pencil has lost some its curl, and missing a hat band. Stuck one of mine on for a photo op. Off tomorrow to Texas Hatters, looking for a hatband, a new sweat with MY name (current sweat is not to bad, just has someone elses name, no he was not related to the Bush family), and a new Hi-Roller bash. The bottom of the hat has flattened out and lost that nice high roller arch. Decided to go with a teardrop like the very last sample photo.

20180807_163131.jpg
20180807_163153 (2).jpg
20180807_163208.jpg
20180807_163217.jpg
20180807_163231.jpg
20180807_163324.jpg
fav4.jpg

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Came home this afternoon to a package.....woohooo. The Texas Hatter Hi-Roller 100. First off, why do people pack with damn styrofoam peanuts, they went everywhere when I opened the box. :( Second, the color is 100% natural beaver, the ebay photos made it look like bone or silverbelly. Much better in natural beaver. :) Excellent condition, no moth bites, clean, just out of shape, pencil has lost some its curl, and missing a hat band. Stuck one of mine on for a photo op. Off tomorrow to Texas Hatters, looking for a hatband, a new sweat with MY name (current sweat is not to bad, just has someone elses name, no he was not related to the Bush family), and a new Hi-Roller bash. The bottom of the hat has flattened out and lost that nice high roller arch. Decided to go with a teardrop like the very last sample photo.

View attachment 130116 View attachment 130117 View attachment 130118 View attachment 130119 View attachment 130120 View attachment 130121 View attachment 130122
Well Dag nabbit Deputy Dawg, Texas Hatters is closed until the 17th of August! On vacation :(

Came home this afternoon to a package.....woohooo. The Texas Hatter Hi-Roller 100...Decided to go with a teardrop like the very last sample photo... View attachment 130122
First, that looks like a really nice hat that should serve you well for years to come. Second, it could be the angle, but the hat in the "sample" photo looks like it has a C-Crown crease; similar to a Teardrop, but different.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
First, that looks like a really nice hat that should serve you well for years to come. Second, it could be the angle, but the hat in the "sample" photo looks like it has a C-Crown crease; similar to a Teardrop, but different.
I think you're right, but it was the only image I could find on the Hatters website that came close to the teardrop I want done. Will discuss it with them when they get back from vacation. Great input, thanks.
:)

View attachment 130116 View attachment 130117 View attachment 130118 View attachment 130119 View attachment 130120 View attachment 130121 View attachment 130122

Are you replacing the sweat just because it has someone else’s name on it?

Good looking hat!

Do they still teach how to measure things in school? Advertised as a 23.5 circumference and, when asked, the seller measured the length and width of the opening for one's head as 8" x 7" (just a bit bigger than a 7-1/2 size). When it arrived yesterday is just sat on the top of my head. Turns out to be a 7-1/8. Well crap...another in the pile 'o hats to sell or trade. :( (Not a big deal ... it was cheap and, while not a great hat, it sort of "spoke" to me)

Resistol_Formosan_1.jpg

Resistol_Formosan_4.jpg

Resistol_Formosan_5.jpg

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Are you replacing the sweat just because it has someone else’s name on it?

Good looking hat!

If this turns out to be a true vintage hat then I will keep the band, no question. The leather is okay but some of the embossed lettering is flaking off. My gut feeling is this hat is less than 10 yrs old. I will know more when I stop by Texas Hatters next week. Since the original hatmaker is local, and if I can get an original Hi-Roller 100 sweat band to replace the old one, then yes I'm going to switch it out and make this thing shine like a new penny. They only charge $25 for a new leather sweat. This is one hat I'd like to make as new as possible. Kinda like (years ago) when I restored my old '65 Mustang, whenever I could locate an original chrome bumper or newer trim piece that was better than the old one.....hell yes, I'd switch it out as long as the numbers matched. Personal preference. ;)

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Do they still teach how to measure things in school? Advertised as a 23.5 circumference and, when asked, the seller measured the length and width of the opening for one's head as 8" x 7" (just a bit bigger than a 7-1/2 size). When it arrived yesterday is just sat on the top of my head. Turns out to be a 7-1/8. Well crap...another in the pile 'o hats to sell or trade. :( (Not a big deal ... it was cheap and, while not a great hat, it sort of "spoke" to me)

View attachment 130180

View attachment 130181

View attachment 130182
yup, I feel you're pain. I've had 2 recent buys that were not even close to the size, or the condition advertised. One was on ebay the other on Etsy. In both cases I complained and the buyers, rather than argue, just refunded the money and told me to keep the hats.

View attachment 130180

View attachment 130181

View attachment 130182

Liberal Arts major.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 130180

View attachment 130181

View attachment 130182
Bummer. That's a cool looking straw, Bob. I've had a few come up small as well and it stings every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ