Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs fifteen, made under license in Italy. Grey with a black ribbon, size 57. Overwelt edge at 5,5cm and crown at 10cm at the pinch. Thin and sturdy (but not stiff) felt with a smooth hand. Liner with a cellophane crown patch. As soon as I see those, I'm as good as sold.
This one was very dirty so this is after its naptha bath and any other cleaning trick I could think of. Sold through Jonkhoff, Groningen, Holland (see last picture of their shop under construction in 1928).
I think it was either Cervo or Panizza who held the license (Daniele told me once, but I can't remember).

dobbs-fifteen_01-jpg.130410
As Steve said it was Panizza from the mid fifties to made the Dobbs for the European Market.
I have some of them sold in Milan in the Cabella shop, one of the last Italian individual hat maker

Occasionally a hat comes along which is a bit different. This is one of them. This is a heather felt and that has me as good as sold anyway. Frequently these heathers are a mix of wool and fur and this is no exception. It even seems that there's more wool in the mix of this one (the felt feels different and heavier than other heather felts I have).
Anyway: Borsalino M. (misto) Stagno. Ribbon in the colour Buio. Size 57 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the pinch. My guess is mid sixties to early seventies.

borsalino-misto-stagno_01-jpg.130436
Stefan I like the Misto in every shades of grey. I have some, even with short brim, that are marvellous

As Steve said it was Panizza from the mid fifties to made the Dobbs for the European Market.
I have some of them sold in Milan in the Cabella shop, one of the last Italian individual hat maker
Daniele, Here is some detailed information from the book we picked up at the Museo dell'Arte del Cappello — Ghiffa".

Panizza - Hat Corporation of America License

"In the meantime, an extraordinary shareholders' meeting, held on June 4, 1956, established a new capital increase, which went to L. 131,040,000. A subsequent resolution of October 27, 1960 pity definitively to L. 196.56 million. To look for new outlets and new conceptual combinations to reanimate the company, Dr. Gamba had meanwhile gone to the United States coming into contact with the Hat Corporation of America. At the end of the negotiations an agreement was reached granting the company Panìzza the right to manufacture Hat Corporation hats in its own factory, exclusively using its brands on the markets of fifteen European countries. The contract, stipulated on 30 April 1957, bears the signature of the managing director Dr. Antonio Gamba, for Panizza and of the president Bernard L Salesky, for the Hat Corporation. The duration of the commitment is three years, but if not canceled at least one year before it will be tacitly renewed from year to year. With this exclusive contract, Hat Co. refuses to sell directly the products bearing its own "Dobbs" and "Knox" brands in the European countries listed therein. The sale, by Panizza, will start in 1959 with a few thousand pieces."

43061960005_e325e5d356_b.jpg

From "IL CAPPELLIFICIO PANIZZA, STORIA DI UN CENTENARIO, Achille Ciana - Franco Mondolfo, Museo dell'Arte del Cappello — Ghiffa"

43248968364_4365d7ff75_c.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs fifteen, made under license in Italy. Grey with a black ribbon, size 57. Overwelt edge at 5,5cm and crown at 10cm at the pinch. Thin and sturdy (but not stiff) felt with a smooth hand. Liner with a cellophane crown patch. As soon as I see those, I'm as good as sold.
This one was very dirty so this is after its naptha bath and any other cleaning trick I could think of. Sold through Jonkhoff, Groningen, Holland (see last picture of their shop under construction in 1928).
I think it was either Cervo or Panizza who held the license (Daniele told me once, but I can't remember).

View attachment 130410 View attachment 130411 View attachment 130412 View attachment 130413 View attachment 130414 View attachment 130415 View attachment 130416 View attachment 130417 View attachment 130418 View attachment 130419
Oooooo.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

View attachment 130410 View attachment 130411 View attachment 130412 View attachment 130413 View attachment 130414 View attachment 130415 View attachment 130416 View attachment 130417 View attachment 130418 View attachment 130419
Great looking hat with a cool history. Nice one Stefan.

Occasionally a hat comes along which is a bit different. This is one of them. This is a heather felt and that has me as good as sold anyway. Frequently these heathers are a mix of wool and fur and this is no exception. It even seems that there's more wool in the mix of this one (the felt feels different and heavier than other heather felts I have).
Anyway: Borsalino M. (misto) Stagno. Ribbon in the colour Buio. Size 57 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the pinch. My guess is mid sixties to early seventies.

View attachment 130436 View attachment 130437 View attachment 130438 View attachment 130439 View attachment 130441 View attachment 130442 View attachment 130443 View attachment 130444 View attachment 130445 View attachment 130446
Lovely finish and some great details. I like that liner.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Resistol Gray Beaver 100 This was incorrectly advertised as a 7 1/4 Gray hat. True size / color is 7 1/2 and it is a silverbelly so it fits just a hair large on me. It arrived in overall excellent condtion with some minimal issues. There was a large / heavy weather seal type foam pad stuck all around the inside of the sweatband. After carefully removing it and cleaning all the sticky residue off, the sweat has pretty much flattened back out. From what I can tell this hat appears to be from somewhere in the 60's. Felt and liner are in mint condition, sweat has some minor wear. The felt on this one glows and the entire hat is very very lightweight. I brushed off the surface dust and will hit it with some steam to smooth out the little bumps, but overall it is shaped just like I want it for now. :)

s-l1600 (14).jpg
s-l1600 (15).jpg
batch_20180810_172329.jpg
batch_20180810_172339.jpg
batch_20180810_172439.jpg
batch_20180810_172447.jpg
batch_20180810_172556.jpg
batch_20180810_172913.jpg

Resistol Gray Beaver 100 This was incorrectly advertised as a 7 1/4 Gray hat. True size / color is 7 1/2 and it is a silverbelly so it fits just a hair large on me. It arrived in overall excellent condtion with some minimal issues. There was a large / heavy weather seal type foam pad stuck all around the inside of the sweatband. After carefully removing it and cleaning all the sticky residue off, the sweat has pretty much flattened back out. From what I can tell this hat appears to be from somewhere in the 60's. Felt and liner are in mint condition, sweat has some minor wear. The felt on this one glows and the entire hat is very very lightweight. I brushed off the surface dust and will hit it with some steam to smooth out the little bumps, but overall it is shaped just like I want it for now. :)

View attachment 130590 View attachment 130591 View attachment 130592 View attachment 130593 View attachment 130594 View attachment 130595 View attachment 130596 View attachment 130597

Had I had known it was a 7 1/2 and not the listed 7 1/4 I’d have put up a fight. Great get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 130590 View attachment 130591 View attachment 130592 View attachment 130593 View attachment 130594 View attachment 130595 View attachment 130596 View attachment 130597
Wow! How did you finally determine that error in the listing? Did they think it was a 7 1/4 based on the padding? You came out smelling like a rose on this one.

Stefan I like the Misto in every shades of grey. I have some, even with short brim, that are marvellous
Daniele, thanks. We share this interest in these misto felts and the hats that are made from them.

Daniele, Here is some detailed information from the book we picked up at the Museo dell'Arte del Cappello — Ghiffa".

Panizza - Hat Corporation of America License

"In the meantime, an extraordinary shareholders' meeting, held on June 4, 1956, established a new capital increase, which went to L. 131,040,000. A subsequent resolution of October 27, 1960 pity definitively to L. 196.56 million. To look for new outlets and new conceptual combinations to reanimate the company, Dr. Gamba had meanwhile gone to the United States coming into contact with the Hat Corporation of America. At the end of the negotiations an agreement was reached granting the company Panìzza the right to manufacture Hat Corporation hats in its own factory, exclusively using its brands on the markets of fifteen European countries. The contract, stipulated on 30 April 1957, bears the signature of the managing director Dr. Antonio Gamba, for Panizza and of the president Bernard L Salesky, for the Hat Corporation. The duration of the commitment is three years, but if not canceled at least one year before it will be tacitly renewed from year to year. With this exclusive contract, Hat Co. refuses to sell directly the products bearing its own "Dobbs" and "Knox" brands in the European countries listed therein. The sale, by Panizza, will start in 1959 with a few thousand pieces."

43061960005_e325e5d356_b.jpg

From "IL CAPPELLIFICIO PANIZZA, STORIA DI UN CENTENARIO, Achille Ciana - Franco Mondolfo, Museo dell'Arte del Cappello — Ghiffa"

43248968364_4365d7ff75_c.jpg
Steve, thanks! What is the most interesting bit to me is that the brand name Knox was part of the deal. Dobbs hats show up on a regular basis when I'm searching for vintage hats, but I've never seen a Knox hat pop up.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Wow! How did you finally determine that error in the listing? Did they think it was a 7 1/4 based on the padding? You came out smelling like a rose on this one.
I'm a 7 1/4, dont know what the seller was thinking because a paper 7 1/2 size tag was folded back up under the sweatband and not visible in his photos. plus another 7 1/2 blocking tag was up under the edge of the inside liner. Had I known, I would not have bid. Luckily, this seems to be a smaller fitting hat as it is only slightly loose, most 7 1/2 would swallow me., I use felt or cork spacers and needed only a small thin spacer at the front and rear, side to side it fits fine. He also didn't know the difference between gray and silverbelly. It's a keeper for sure. I'm amazed at how lightweight this hat is, I have nothing like it. I really love the 3" Open Road style brim as well. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass