Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Good score. Those Featherweights are supposed to be some nice hats. Now you have to keep an eye out for the matching box. "Weighs Less Than 2 Packs of Cigarettes!"
You're right! But what the heck is "Imported KS fur"? lol. ;)

champ hat.jpg

Got something a little unusual in today. 3X Stetson with American Royal on the sweat. I could find nothing that indicated Stetson ever made a model of this name for the general public. It probably is a promotional hat special ordered by the Kansas City men's store shown on the sweat to capitalize on the American Royal livestock show held annually in K C or the store ordered hats worn by VIP's or officials of the event. I've run across a couple of these hats and most are adorned with pins and all came from the same store which closed in 1968. This one had two and evidence of several others having been on the hat before. Both of the pins are enamel inlaid Sterling. I'm hoping I'm able to mitigate the pinholes a bit.

Fair condition with a 2" sweat and an embroidered last drop liner, though it is glued in. A six ply ribbon and a three ply under brim treatment. I've seen similar hats in some of the Miller-Stockman catalogs, the Arminty and the Arminto but other than that, nothing. Anyone with info let me know. Any collectors of AR memorabilia can hit me up about the pins. View attachment 131658 View attachment 131659 View attachment 131660 View attachment 131661 View attachment 131662 View attachment 131663 View attachment 131664 View attachment 131665
BB, Emory Bird Thayer was a big 3-4 story dept store in downtown Kansas City. They were known for selling quality goods. By the late '60's suburban shopping malls had replaced downtown shopping, EBT was closed & the bldg was torn down ~1970 with downtown renewal.

The American Royal is a rodeo & livestock show still held each Oct. There have been at least two pair of cowboy boots surface, marked American Royal & sold thru the shop of Charles (C.P.) Shipley, famous saddlemaker. Shipley also sold hats from his shop & catalog. I was hoping you had found one of the marked hats.

The pins represent the American Royal Crown. There are collectors for AR memorabilia but I have no idea how common they might be. Probably no way to know who might have owned the hat.

You may remember the one-off pair of boots that Enid Justin presented to the governor of the AR that surfaced a few yrs ago. As I recall the current owner was the grandnephew of the AR governor.

If that hat fits real big, let me know!

250px-American-royal.jpg

Thanks, Jim I meant to put that in the narrative. It has nothing behind the sweat or liner which lends to the special order thoughts I had. There are two of these hats listed on the bay now. Both are identical to this hat save for size and the number of pins adorning them. Jim, we'll see about the pin holes. I've had pretty good luck in the past mitigating them but the big ones on this hat are from the existing Sterling pins and the pin posts have tarnished, staining the holes.

Meant to add in the original post, 3.5" brim and a very soft 6' open crown.
If you can clean the stains you might be able to close up the holes with plenty of moist steam & ironing, with the hat on your hat block.

BB, Emory Bird Thayer was a big 3-4 story dept store in downtown Kansas City. They were known for selling quality goods. By the late '60's suburban shopping malls had replaced downtown shopping, EBT was closed & the bldg was torn down ~1970 with downtown renewal.

The American Royal is a rodeo & livestock show still held each Oct. There have been at least two pair of cowboy boots surface, marked American Royal & sold thru the shop of Charles (C.P.) Shipley, famous saddlemaker. Shipley also sold hats from his shop & catalog. I was hoping you had found one of the marked hats.

The pins represent the American Royal Crown. There are collectors for AR memorabilia but I have no idea how common they might be. Probably no way to know who might have owned the hat.

You may remember the one-off pair of boots that Enid Justin presented to the governor of the AR that surfaced a few yrs ago. As I recall the current owner was the grandnephew of the AR governor.

If that hat fits real big, let me know!

250px-American-royal.jpg
Crowns were hung over the streets of downtown at Christmas time for yrs. Emery Bird Thayer is in the background.

7f7c07748596521f8bb0f3d4be3963f5.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
One of the lucky summer puchase.....
For all fans of the "Antica Casa di Alessandria" a little mystery to investigate
34q9s80.jpg

The hat comes from the legacy of a very keen gentleman with Borsalino
24ax6cg.jpg

He had bought some beautiful hats and, fortunately, they were of my size, so I could choose those of my liking.
qn4col.jpg

This hat, you see from the press on the sweatband, comes from the Borsalino stores in Milan, even if there are no obvious indications it is a Borsalino. The lining does not help, reporting only the word "Superiore" without the original trade mark and the paper label has been torn
og9pc4.jpg

Felt is average and reminds me of consistency and color other hats, absolutely not made by Borsalino
demqt5.jpg

The proportions of the hat are as follows: raw brim at 7 cm. crown at 11 cm. and ribbon at 3.5 cm.
33f48qc.jpg

The hat is new, never worn or so it looks and has an excellent finish and wearability
2d2eo7c.jpg

Here it is to be a Borsalino mosaic card to complete the mistery

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday, I posted my newest find, a J. Moores and Sons bowler, possibly 1930s. I also asked what "vacuum fitting" meant. Today, wearing the hat, I found out what it means.
After having it on for less than a minute, the hat seems to "seal" itself to your head. Not in an uncomfortable way, though. It takes a bit of effort to take it off.
This makes sense when remembering that bowlers were used as a type of work hat (the original hard hat in fact) and used when riding horses. Thus, they needed to stay on under various conditions.
My surmise is this one was ordered by a horse rider. He must have been a good one. There are no dents [emoji4]
ce314d0d02f7d781b5191ae61d9f17c5.jpg
9e2a3d03dbdf989fa86ff2c0e42531c0.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday, I posted my newest find, a J. Moores and Sons bowler, possibly 1930s. I also asked what "vacuum fitting" meant. Today, wearing the hat, I found out what it means.
After having it on for less than a minute, the hat seems to "seal" itself to your head. Not in an uncomfortable way, though. It takes a bit of effort to take it off.
This makes sense when remembering that bowlers were used as a type of work hat (the original hard hat in fact) and used when riding horses. Thus, they needed to stay on under various conditions.
My surmise is this one was ordered by a horse rider. He must have been a good one. There are no dents [emoji4]
ce314d0d02f7d781b5191ae61d9f17c5.jpg
9e2a3d03dbdf989fa86ff2c0e42531c0.jpg

I forgot to ask: has anyone come across "vacuum fitting"? It's a new one on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points