Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MarkStar

New in Town
Akubra Camp Draft in Taupe Fawn
D7X2gDy.jpg

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
Another summer purchase. The homburg is part of a bunch of pretty badly worn Borsalino.
It was a gamble and this is the only one in my size, the others are narrower or smaller and are in the skillful hands of Fleur hatter of Penumbra hats in Netherlands.
2zghi6g.jpg

Lobbia Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore. Size is 6, so a 59 in EU or a 7 3/8 in US
aylmp3.jpg

Color is "Palladio" cinta (ribbon) Nero "Gulaela" Felt is soft and very malleable with a contrasting ribbon
1gifd.jpg

It seems new except it was the food for the moths, above all on the under side brim
w7csol.jpg

Fleur did a magnificient work on the little holes and nibbles made by moths
20rvlag.jpg

Outside the moths are more gentle
6ohcer.jpg

This "Lobbia" Borsalino or homburg or Diplomatique is the type with "wide" brim
2n0msg3.jpg

The proportions are: brim at 6 cm. ribbon is 4 cm. and the crown is 11 cm.
More to come in the next days
Gorgeous Daniele, I seldom wear my homburgs but I think that one would get some heat time if it was mine.

That manufacturer's tag has the block depth so it is not later than late 50s and the pleated liners are usually even earlier, though they may have used pleated liners later on bowlers.

So the liner puts it 1950 or later since it doesn’t have “John” in the name and the block puts it pre 1960. I’ll take the range of 1950 to 1959.

I based my guess partially from the $20 price, but maybe inflation was already there in the 1950s.

Thank you.

So the liner puts it 1950 or later since it doesn’t have “John” in the name and the block puts it pre 1960. I’ll take the range of 1950 to 1959.

I based my guess partially from the $20 price, but maybe inflation was already there in the 1950s.

Thank you.
The Hatted Professor speaks of the address in the logo for some dating. I want to say it comes in at 1955-57 or so. Narrowing it down maybe even more. Killer Derby!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I received my new Penman yesterday but didn't post it here right away because although it looked fantastic in pictures and right out of the box, on my head the reverse taper was just too much with the 6-point diamond/C/teardrop shape which results in the widest a crown can be.

I played with it for a couple of days and have settled on, at least for now, a center dent, which still allows this hat to have a slight reverse taper, which I like, and resulted a general 'softening' of the lines, which is neither good nor bad, just different.

Anyway, some before and afters of the crease change.

penman moss green_20180822_142712_400x437.jpg
penman moss green_20180823_144607_400x496.jpg
penman moss green_20180822_142711_400x431.jpg
penman moss green_20180823_144809_400x478.jpg
penman moss green_20180823_122812(0)_400x603.jpg

Last edited:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I received my new Penman yesterday but didn't post it here right away because although it looked fantastic in pictures and right out of the box, on my head the reverse taper was just too much with the 6-point diamond/C/teardrop shape which results in the widest a crown can be.

I played with it for a couple of days and have settled on, at least for now, a center dent, which still allows this hat to have a slight reverse taper, which I like, and resulted a general 'softening' of the lines, which is neither good nor bad, just different.

Anyway, some before and afters of the crease change.
This is with the center dent, but before I relaxed the front pinch a bit. I'm not sure which way I like it better. For felt preservation, the relaxed pinch would be better.
First, that's stunning! Second, I like the Center Dent crease far more; I really don't care for reverse taper, and the Center Dent minimizes that. Third, I think the tighter pinch works better with that Center Dent, but that's just me. Fourth, it's a good thing it's green because if it was as brown as it appears to be in the last two photos you'd probably get tired of the "Indy" comments rather quickly. Fifth, did I mention it's stunning? Wonderful proportions, and the ribbon and felt colors really go well together!

This is with the center dent, but before I relaxed the front pinch a bit. I'm not sure which way I like it better. For felt preservation, the relaxed pinch would be better.

View attachment 132423 View attachment 132424
I always enjoy seeing a hat develop into "your own". Quite an enjoyable series. I have become more accustomed to a center dent of late. This is one stellar hat Scotty. Wear it in good health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats