Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
First, that's stunning! Second, I like the Center Dent crease far more; I really don't care for reverse taper, and the Center Dent minimizes that. Third, I think the tighter pinch works better with that Center Dent, but that's just me. Fourth, it's a good thing it's green because if it was as brown as it appears to be in the last two photos you'd probably get tired of the "Indy" comments rather quickly. Fifth, did I mention it's stunning? Wonderful proportions, and the ribbon and felt colors really go well together!

Thank you, Al and Red.

Re the front pinch, my wife has already expressed an opinion of the hat both ways, and she preferred the original 'bash,' I think because she dislikes hats on me that have a 'tall' crown. The original 6-point, wide crease effectively made the whole crown appear shorter.

But when I tightened up the front crease (before loosening it again) she said it looked better than when it was loose because the tight front pinch brings the crown down just enough to be able to perceive that's it's just a little shorter.

I did the same thing the other day on my sage green John Cavanagh. When I tightened the front pinch it made a dramatic perceived difference in the crown height. Originally it was massive for my head and face, but now is more proportional, again, for my head and face.

I had wanted a green hat for a long time, and I finally made the decision to have one made back in December, and placed my order around that time.

Then in July I was lucky enough to snag a grail hat of mine in the moon sell-off - his sage green John Cavanagh with the copper ribbon. So now I have two green hats with copper ribbons, but that's more than fine because I just love that color combination.

While I was speaking with John Penman about the hat, I was vacillating between a Raiders and a true custom he was going to design for me, at first in another color combo. After much anxiety on my part, I settled on his 'Penman' model in the green and copper, the color choices fueled mostly by the John Cavanagh that I had not known at that time would come into my possession.

So what I essentially ended up with, after my reshaping, is an overall smaller but proportional Indy-type hat, which is perfect for me, as a dimensionally correct true-to-size one tends to swallow me up. Loving earth tones, the colors on my hat are perfect, afaic, as the green and copper pushes all my correct buttons.

Last edited:
This is with the center dent, but before I relaxed the front pinch a bit. I'm not sure which way I like it better. For felt preservation, the relaxed pinch would be better.

View attachment 132423 View attachment 132424

In my opinion, the center dent is much nicer. I’m not a fan of reverse taper, but you wear it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess I can't see the reverse taper in the pictures. I like both bashes equally well and have been meaning to order a custom built "The Penman" to fit me (as opposed to the 2nd hand lid I bought that ended up being too small).

Being able to drive to Hillsboro to visit John is a plus and I have to say, my custom steel Penman fits perfectly, as good or even better than my other customs.

I liked the 6 point diamond when I had it and think I should keep at least one in my stable. I have lots of diamonds, a few center dents.... why not a 6 pt as well?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
This is the bee's knees Justin. It looks good with the low slung crown and deep crease. That brim is just nutz!
Thank you! I I've been playing with creases, and I steamed it back to open Crown as best as I could, and I raise the back of the crown up a little bit higher. It just sat too low for my liking. I just love the color combination on this one

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The third and final member of the Borsalino patrol bought in Milan
xatd3l.jpg

The other component are the "Borsalino Mysterious" and a the Borsalino "Brown" showed in last days"
91dz6v.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Superiore size 6 French measurements, so a 59 in EU and a 7 3/8 in US
np4748.jpg

Very thick and sturdy felt, "Mirtillo" color. It is the youngest of the trio and the modern label show less then the oldest
femcyp.jpg

Since I have not the reference of modern Borsalino modern colors, my guess it is "Mirtillo"
2eyudg2.jpg

Proportions are: trimmed brim at 6 cm. ribbon is 3.5 cm. and the crown 12.5 cm. with matching ribbon and wind cord
zmjofo.jpg

It is a very firm hats with imponent proportions. Very elegant
24nobqd.jpg

It came new from the new Spinetta Marengo factory near Alessandria and was sold in Germany

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
xatd3l.jpg

The other component are the "Borsalino Mysterious" and a the Borsalino "Brown" showed in last days"
91dz6v.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Superiore size 6 French measurements, so a 59 in EU and a 7 3/8 in US
np4748.jpg

Very thick and sturdy felt, "Mirtillo" color. It is the youngest of the trio and the modern label show less then the oldest
femcyp.jpg

Since I have not the reference of modern Borsalino modern colors, my guess it is "Mirtillo"
2eyudg2.jpg

Proportions are: trimmed brim at 6 cm. ribbon is 3.5 cm. and the crown 12.5 cm. with matching ribbon and wind cord
zmjofo.jpg

24nobqd.jpg

It came new from the new Spinetta Marengo factory near Alessandria and was sold in Germany
Precioso

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I received my Black Creek toyo straw in Ivory yesterday. With a little shaping of the rear portion of the brim it’s ready for some head time. I really like the metal feather as well. In my opinion it’s not to much and it looks like a quality piece and not an after thought by the designers of the hat. The hat is much lighter than the picture suggests. It’s darker than a plain white but not as yellow as in the picture.....hmmm closer to Ivory :).

9D6D2F64-0859-4AB9-B9A5-096D34C4BBED.jpeg

Steven

xatd3l.jpg

91dz6v.jpg

np4748.jpg

femcyp.jpg

2eyudg2.jpg

zmjofo.jpg

24nobqd.jpg

It may be more modern, but the colour and shape are excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred