Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Excellent homburg, Steve. Nice find. I had a Mayser from Willenbrink with the same imprint on the sweatband and that one was actually dated: 3. dez. 1960. Also with a glued in liner. So give or take a year that's the date on these (assuming Willenbrink didn't celebrate for several years).
Stefan, Thanks! I think they are from the same time period. Mine had a 1962 newspaper behind the sweatband.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
We continue in the series of ancient French hats. I played a risky game and it went well.
Two black hats, among my favorites, with the shapes and proportions of hats made before the Second World War were on the market in France
2iudede.jpg

I played a risky game and it went well, when they arrived I'm more happier that my expectations
28qsr9y.jpg

This has very few indications, considering that the writing on the bottom of the crown has vanished and what remains is illegible
jjp7h3.jpg

A small label in paper with a number is under the sweatband, all that is legible embossed on the sweatband
We call this "The perfection" considering that this seems to be its name
wkqvk7.jpg

"Stylish is its second name
nbbuht.jpg

Felt is a mixture of furs and wool like others of the same age, around thirty, that I bought years ago
2nuoebs.jpg

It is soft and malleable easy with hands. The brims are slightly more stiff, but bend without difficulty
o05w09.jpg

The measures are as follows:
- brim, flat, rimmed by 7 cm black ribbon
. crown at the lowest 12cm point
- 5 cm ribbon with the stitching stitching again
1430q5j.jpg

For the time since its construction is in excellent condition and it is quite my size
2nvqagm.jpg

After a good job of dusting, steam and brush and a "tonic" for the skin, the hat looks ready for its "new life"

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A real beauty! I love the proportions of that one!
We continue in the series of ancient French hats. I played a risky game and it went well.
Two black hats, among my favorites, with the shapes and proportions of hats made before the Second World War were on the market in France
2iudede.jpg

I played a risky game and it went well, when they arrived I'm more happier that my expectations
28qsr9y.jpg

This has very few indications, considering that the writing on the bottom of the crown has vanished and what remains is illegible
jjp7h3.jpg

A small label in paper with a number is under the sweatband, all that is legible embossed on the sweatband
wkqvk7.jpg

nbbuht.jpg

Felt is a mixture of furs and wool like others of the same age, around thirty, that I bought years ago
2nuoebs.jpg

It is soft and malleable easy with hands. The brims are slightly more stiff, but bend without difficulty
o05w09.jpg

1430q5j.jpg

For the time since its construction is in excellent condition and it is quite my size
2nvqagm.jpg

After a good job of dusting, steam and brush and a "tonic" for the skin, the hat looks ready for its "new life"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2iudede.jpg

28qsr9y.jpg

jjp7h3.jpg

wkqvk7.jpg

nbbuht.jpg

2nuoebs.jpg

o05w09.jpg

1430q5j.jpg

2nvqagm.jpg

WOW! I love that one, Daniele. Just a beautiful hat and still has the basting stitches at the top of the ribbon for when the hats were stacked.

2iudede.jpg

28qsr9y.jpg

jjp7h3.jpg

wkqvk7.jpg

nbbuht.jpg

2nuoebs.jpg

o05w09.jpg

1430q5j.jpg

2nvqagm.jpg

Really a special hat Daniele! Love the details on that gorgeous sweat. A French mystery!

Roadopen

One of the Regulars
2iudede.jpg

28qsr9y.jpg

jjp7h3.jpg

wkqvk7.jpg

nbbuht.jpg

2nuoebs.jpg

o05w09.jpg

1430q5j.jpg

2nvqagm.jpg

Killer hat in all the right places except you'd think it would have a liner that would top it to perfection!:cool:
Just me of course:D Great find!:)

Roadopen

2iudede.jpg

28qsr9y.jpg

jjp7h3.jpg

wkqvk7.jpg

nbbuht.jpg

2nuoebs.jpg

o05w09.jpg

1430q5j.jpg

2nvqagm.jpg

Nice!

Pony Express finally arrived from San Diego. OC 7X CB with a 5 1/2" crown and a 2 5/8" brim. It's a hat from the 60's, the same as my Stetson 100 and there are some similarities. Color is a a little darker on the 7X and the 100 has a 2 3/4" brim. The brim on the 7 is very stiff and almost flat. The crown is firm but molds easily dry and holds it shape as well as it pops out of it. Very dense felt and the finish is suede like and hard to discern from the finish of my 100 with my eyes closed. Sorry, didn't mean to do a comparison.
CIMG5138.JPG
CIMG5139.JPG

CIMG5136.JPG
CIMG5135.JPG

Roadopen

One of the Regulars
Pony Express finally arrived from San Diego. OC 7X CB with a 5 1/2" crown and a 2 5/8" brim. It's a hat from the 60's, the same as my Stetson 100 and there are some similarities. Color is a a little darker on the 7X and the 100 has a 2 3/4" brim. The brim on the 7 is very stiff and almost flat. The crown is firm but molds easily dry and holds it shape as well as it pops out of it. Very dense felt and the finish is suede like and hard to discern from the finish of my 100 with my eyes closed. Sorry, didn't mean to do a comparison.
View attachment 136126 View attachment 136127
View attachment 136129 View attachment 136128

Now bash that baby! Coloration just superb!

That is superb BB!

Desert dog

Man! Another beauty! And it was only a three hour drive from me. Great score, glad to see you get it. You, Hurricane, and Bob Hufford, have really been raising the bar!

Good get, Greg! Looks brand new.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Bama: about as nice as a hat can be!!
I’m glad you compared, especially the “with eyes closed” comment.
I have a “hand me a hat in the dark theory” and open your eyes surprised!
I assume you will grace the CB thread with this bitchin cool hat?? Ya
B

Tukwila

Beautiful, Greg!

Dlaniger

Nice, Greg. Your going to have fun with that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dlaniger

We don't see this brand around very often (if at all), which is strange considering its standing. Guiseppe Borsalino was an apprentice there and it kind of shows I think. Many thanks to Daniele, who pointed this one out to me, and with a little e-mailing back and forth to France it came about.
Berteil castor. Size 56, with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown 10cm at the pinch.

berteil_01-jpg.135672
berteil_02-jpg.135673
berteil_03-jpg.135674
berteil_05-jpg.135677
berteil_04-jpg.135678
berteil_06-jpg.135679
berteil_07-jpg.135680
berteil_09-jpg.135681
berteil_08-jpg.135682
berteil_12-jpg.135683

So, how does it compare? Well, very favorably I can say. If you wouldn't know better you would be forgiven to think that this was a Borsalino, judging just by the look of it. Shape, proportions, flange are all very close to the house from Alessandria. Even the colour is almost the same as the Borsalino Caffe colour. A tad lighter and a bit more reddish.
Where Borsalino improved upon his old teacher was the finishing though. The sweatband is not of the highest standard (a more common problem with French hats) and the liner is not fitted as tight as one in a Borsalino. But I'm really nitpicking here.
This is a beaver hat (those two beavers on the sweatband are there to advertise that) and the felt came to life almost instantly when I lightly steamed it. Shapes like a dream and has a lovely hand and feels like it will last forever. Nice thin felt and the hat is fairly lightweight at 105 grams.
There are no labels inside the hat unfortunately, but the sweatband and especially the liner make me think this is probably forties, maybe even late thirties.
I would buy these all day long, thank you.

Wow! Looks just like a Borsalino; color and profile. Very special hat, Steur.

Dlaniger

Here is the calf. I am liking this one a lot. Although with a 5 1/2" crown and 2 3/4 brim, I couldn't resist putting a cattleman crease on it. I also have a black thin ribbon on the way. Thanks again Bowen! Feel like I got both Ginger and Maryann!
051505539f9d6b02cb5e5fc99bc8eb09.jpg
4107ca3674a6ec17d3b09eae48ef2eb4.jpg
6ce06131a09bac12e73f647d45e4f81b.jpg
c407fbde64651426ecd30ab6e811593a.jpg
0e0a4af1fd29dde4eb0404a69e57b802.jpg

I like it DD! I am partial to the peluche finish. The crease is perfect. Just your style! You will be ready for the cold weather for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy