Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Bombetta Qualità Superiore. Size 7 US or 5 French. European 57 cm.
20sslmf.jpg

The "bombetta" is a "Misto" felt of fur and wool.
2re738n.jpg

It is called "M Favaro" as you can see in the enclosed images of the inside of the hat. "Rizzo" is the type. Ribbon is "Nera"
2cqjt4x.jpg

It is a slightly "heather" felt bowler, the first I saw in my life
jv3sz8.jpg

The size marked on the sweatband is 7, I, with some doubts, bought it thinking a 61 centimeters, but at the opening of the package this is the result
s6kmlv.jpg

The measurements are: crown is at 12 cm. curled brim at 5,5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm
29o2xko.jpg

The felt, in a medium grey, is mixed with fur and wool with a “heather” look. It weight 161 grams
2vuwpyb.jpg

It was sold in Milan
My opinion on its age is it was made before the WWII
2cp3zwj.jpg

I said this from the paper label with size written with fountain pen, lining and finishing
Embossed golden stamps on the sweatband
1r7s01.jpg

Size tag and the interior bow
t0grh1.jpg

A lucky find for sure, but I wish it was more my size!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Here's the new one (for me at least). I showed a glipse of it yesterday. Borsalino Ergosca in M (misto) Acciaio (steel). So heather steel or mix steel is the colour name. Overwelt brim slightly under 7cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. It's more stiff than the angora hats owned by Mike and Bowen, but it's a nice one to add to the collection. I thought the metal colours of borsalino were exhausted, and then this shows up.

borsalino-acciaio_01-jpg.146463
Bellissimo! But you know Stefan I have a soft spot in my heart for furs and heather felts

michael78

One of the Regulars
I think it might be 1959. It was made by P. & C. Habig Wien (Austria). The "Ventilo" (Felt Vents) are from P. & C. Habig Wien. Here is an example (there others in the thread).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/5-p-c-habig-hutfabrik/page-4#entry695
Hi Steve, i get where your coming from, but to clarify, the hat was made in the UK, probably Stockport.I forgot to post pic of sweatband with "made in England". i've had a close look at Date with a magnifying glass and its definitely a "3".
DSCN6495.jpg

Hi Steve, i get where your coming from, but to clarify, the hat was made in the UK, probably Stockport.I forgot to post pic of sweatband with "made in England". i've had a close look at Date with a magnifying glass and its definitely a "3".
View attachment 146650

Michael, Interesting! Can you please take a photo of the felt vents behind the sweatband? I am not sure when P. & C. Habig first started using felt vents but I don't believe I have encountered another company using them (until this one).

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Sage green 50s Playboy. Sweat in decent condition, drank a ton of Lexol. Liner appears to be taped in a some time ago and strangely enough there are no model/size tags behind the sweat. Just 2 red pieces of paper. Price tag: $10. Also pictured with an olive colored newer 50s Whippet. If anyone can add any info I'd apreciate it.
220f1d309ffaf262f330b6c33f8bd28b.jpg
60ce44cc8b076a1afbd6a4a32b906e31.jpg
e73a65808a344a1f271490d7634aaf41.jpg
332d124fdf896e738c66566c7f512468.jpg
9c58b7ea95007624006dc578f6cacdfa.jpg
ff0bc1a885b1e5af90e40f7fdb86a241.jpg
09abb1e11df394600ebffc8674d78077.jpg
31d62bbfd2512de4fb65d0b1268c0896.jpg
ced3c822e927ec4546276b73592f74eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

michael78

One of the Regulars
Michael, Interesting! Can you please take a photo of the felt vents behind the sweatband? I am not sure when P. & C. Habig first started using felt vents but I don't believe I have encountered another company using them (until this one).
Hi Steve, i took some detailed pics for you of the vents!, what do you think?
Cheers Mike
DSCN6500.jpg

DSCN6502.jpg

busmatt

New in Town
I’m not “Grousing” but you wait ages for a hat to turn up and two come along together, I’ve been eyeing up a Grouse hat(well that’s what I’ve always known this style as) and I picked up this one on eBay

e60ba837f52c8d5508300af3e329cf78.jpg

400f458450236f501bd8ac8064c1bb21.jpg

No maker, just Harris Tweed

619f56309a137041c14a4c83e821909e.jpg

Anyway, I was passing a charity shop today and popped in, this beautiful hat was the princely sum of £1.00

17e3c30c183195fc1fcc65891375979e.jpg

f11300aed3157a3b6d6ce6919ad2610d.jpg

No maker again but for a quid it’s a bargain for me, I love these hats they’re just the job to chuck on an they’re foldable.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This past weekend I received my new-to-me Collins & Fairbanks from our own @splintercellsz.

collins & fairbanks co_front_20181203_075024_400x470.jpg
collins & fairbanks co_front_20181203_075103_400x461.jpg
collins & fairbanks co_side_20181203_075021_400x482.jpg
collins & fairbanks co_side_20181203_075147_400x447.jpg
20181203_084336_400x711.jpg
20181203_084326_400x711.jpg

The box was so light that at first I had wondered if he remembered to put the hat in it. :)

But that is just part of the character of this hat. Light as a feather, and felt that takes any shape you want to push or poke into it without any steam or moisture. You barely have to touch it.

You want a sharp crease? Bang. You want to take it out or change it with no trace? Again, bang. No problem. I've already had both a center dent and a diamond in it, and I keep alternating because both look so good in this hat.

Collins & Fairbanks Co. was an outfit that sold fine imported silk top hats, and designed and manufactured their own line of hats and also sold furs at 383 Washington St. in Boston, Massachusetts. I can find evidence of the company's existence from its opening in 1883 through at least 1928. They may have been in business after that, as well, but I have not seen proof yet.

This particular hat was made in France. It is remarkably similar to another recent acquisition of mine – a Lamson & Hubbard, from the same general period – the '20s or '30s. Both hats have the same overall look and feel, especially in the details – the look and feel of the sweat, in particular.

The colors are a medium gray with a black ribbon, and a sort of light olive edge binding, which really sets the whole thing off.

It has a 2/14" brim, and 6" of open crown to play with. Perfect dimensions for me.

This one will get frequent wear, as it pushes all the right buttons for me, including being perfectly sized, which, as we know, can be a bit of a crap shoot when buying hats without trying them on first.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This past weekend I received my new-to-me Collins & Fairbanks from our own @splintercellsz.

View attachment 146879 View attachment 146880 View attachment 146881 View attachment 146882 View attachment 146883 View attachment 146884

The box was so light that at first I had wondered if he remembered to put the hat in it. :)

But that is just part of the character of this hat. Light as a feather, and felt that takes any shape you want to push or poke into it without any steam or moisture. You barely have to touch it.

You want a sharp crease? Bang. You want to take it out or change it with no trace? Again, bang. No problem. I've already had both a center dent and a diamond in it, and I keep alternating because both look so good in this hat.

Collins & Fairbanks Co. was an outfit that sold fine imported silk top hats, and designed and manufactured their own line of hats and also sold furs at 383 Washington St. in Boston, Massachusetts. I can find evidence of the company's existence from its opening in 1883 through at least 1928. They may have been in business after that, as well. but I have not seen proof yet.

This particular hat was made in France. It is remarkably similar to another recent acquisition of mine – a Lamson & Hubbard, from the same general period – the '20s or '30s. Both hats have the same overall look and feel, especially in the details – the look and feel of the sweat, in particular.

The colors are a medium gray with a black ribbon, and a sort of light olive edge binding, which really sets the whole thing off.

It has a 2/14" brim, and 6" of open crown to play with. Perfect dimensions for me.

This one will get frequent wear, as it pushes all the right buttons for me, including being perfectly sized, which, as we know, can be a bit of a crap shoot when buying hats without trying them on first.
Wow, that is one great looking hat that pushes a lot of plus buttons: age, company make, fit, colour, binding, ribbon size and bow. An extra plus must be the fact that you can shape it almost at will and have a new hat every time. That hat rocks, Scottyrocks.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 146879 View attachment 146880 View attachment 146881 View attachment 146882 View attachment 146883 View attachment 146884

Collins & Fairbanks Co. was an outfit that sold fine imported silk top hats, and designed and manufactured their own line of hats and also sold furs at 383 Washington St. in Boston, Massachusetts. I can find evidence of the company's existence from its opening in 1883 through at least 1928. They may have been in business after that, as well. but I have not seen proof yet.

im so happy that you enjoy it! it looks so great on you, boss!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Hey Scotty:
That’s an exquisite hat! That felt speaks and the pictures show that very well. Says tissue fingerfelt!
Interesting in several ways, especially your comparison with the L&H. The French connection is neat too. Don’t know if L&H is French but it sounds like an interesting area to investigate.
Beautiful hat. You wear it well!
Bowen

Scotty, It's really fantastic. Congrats!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Steve, Justin, Bowen, and mayserSteve.

Yes, this hat is a special one. I had never heard of the name before, which makes it even more interesting.

@Steve1857 I have decided (for now) that I like the diamond better for this hat, as it that shape is so well defined. And every time I push one in, it looks different than the last time. So, yes, sort of like a new hat every time I put it on. :)

Last edited:

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

What a beauty! I appreciate the information you have found about the hat. It makes it even more interesting. The felt looks so nice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ