Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
MichaelShane and Gene -- I had to smile reading your comments about getting a boater. Will I ever wear one a whole lot? No. But, does it seem like having a vintage boater is just a neat thing? Yes!
Man, I am dreading seeing that boater with the signature
JtL C-crown. ;)

I note that it has a "self-conforming" sweatband, but
it's not a Resistol.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
These came today......snagged from the bay....$17.00

P1040642.jpg
[/IMG]
P1040643.jpg
[/IMG]
P1040644.jpg
[/IMG]
P1040645.jpg
[/IMG]
P1040647.jpg
[/IMG]

The seller said it was a genuine Kenteristi.:) :) :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Oh, Michael, you just added a couple of super straws to your stash. That deal on the Montecristi KILLS me! :eusa_doh: Glad for you though.

So it turns out that $17 was not a good price to pay for that box but perhaps it can be considered a good buy on at least one of the hats, no? :D

BobC

This new hat arrived at my house today, or I should say it rearrived. I pulled this one from the bay a few weeks ago, but it was a bit small, so I sent it to Optimo for a cleaning and resizing. I asked Optimo to resize the hat to a 7 1/4 LO which meant they had to replace the sweat, but I also asked them to reuse any parts they could, but especially the liner, and return any unreused parts to me. This is what they sent back to me. The felt is amazingly soft, thin and moldable, more so than any other hat I have ever touched. This one will go to the head of the class. And it's my first Borsalino. the last picture is about the closest to the hats true color.

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
This new hat arrived at my house today, or I should say it rearrived. I pulled this one from the bay a few weeks ago, but it was a bit small, so I sent it to Optimo for a cleaning and resizing. I asked Optimo to resize the hat to a 7 1/4 LO which meant they had to replace the sweat, but I also asked them to reuse any parts they could, but especially the liner, and return any unreused parts to me. This is what they sent back to me. The felt is amazingly soft, thin and moldable, more so than any other hat I have ever touched. This one will go to the head of the class. And it's my first Borsalino. the last picture is about the closest to the hats true color.

Beautiful hat, Bob.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on your Borso, Bob. Looks great. What's also interesting is that you have one that appears to go back a ways and uses "Alessandria" as a model name on the sweat.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

jimmy the lid said:
Congrats on your Borso, Bob. Looks great. What's also interesting is that you have one that appears to go back a ways and uses "Alessandria" as a model name on the sweat.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks, Scott and Jim. ;) Graham at Optimo said he thought this hat would go back to the '40's. Douglas snagged an Alessandria very similar to this one, but as I recall his did not say Alessandria on the sweatband. He's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Thanks, Scott and Jim. ;) Graham at Optimo said he thought this hat would go back to the '40's. Douglas snagged an Alessandria very similar to this one, but as I recall his did not say Alessandria on the sweatband. He's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting -- I would have guessed that there was a strong case for dating it back at least to the 50's. It may support the notion that "Alessandria" has been Borsalino's name for its thin-ribbon OR-style model for quite some time (unless we learn that Borsalino's use of "Alessandria" on the sweat was a more recent development, which would then provide another tool for dating your lid...;) ).

Cheers,
JtL

DOUGLAS

None of mine has the Alessandria embossed lettering. I had thought that both of mine with the paper tags 7-1-4 were from the late Forties but certainly the Fifties could be a realistic age as well. Whats a few years,it is a great hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany