Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Jazz', that's a nice one. A Mode Edge Stetson is still on my list of unfulfilled hat hopes.

Personally, I'd live with the liner blemishes. It's too easy to ruin the finish of the satin and to wash away the logo printing when cleansers are used. I will defer to any one else though, who may have a sure fire, safe method.

For the spot on the felt, good old Naptha is best. It can be obtained in the form of Coleman fuel. Be very, very careful working with this stuff. It is caustic and flammable. Be sure to brush the hat well first. I've had decent results simply using a clean, white hanky to dab on the fluid and dab it back off, then letting it dry. Sometimes, however, that spot treatment leaves a ring where the fluid was. This is why some people recommend submerging the entire hat and then letting it dry evenly.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzncocktails said:
3. What type of Stetson is this? It's a good 3X Beaver felt; is Exchange Club the style of the Stetson?
Looks like my gray Stetson 3x, except for the plastic in the
liner, the flourish in the bow, and the olive-ness. I'm guessing
the "exchange club" was a promotion at the store- probably took
old fedoras and gave a trade-in or something.

Mine is a real go-to hat. Just the right amount of style in
a nearly indestructible body. A peak of hat making for Stetson,
IMO.

jpbales

Practically Family
I get jealous when I look through this thread!

Very nice panama Gene!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I got a new Panama Bob from his eBay selection for an awesome 55$! He has some amazing deals on decent panamas. The shipping was only $5,
came with a hat box, and was shipped VERY quickly.
Anyway, it's an "Aguacate" with a fairly low weave count- but still nice. I counted 13 across in an inch- appx. 169 weaves per square inch in that spot. The weave is very loose, which I like. It reminds me of "the hat with a million windows...Millions of tiny windows invite cooling breezes to circulate around your brow, keep you delightfully "hat cool" all summer long."

SideAngle-2.jpg

you can see an even mesh of "tiny windows"
BrimWeave.jpg

I've already have an interesting story regarding this hat too. Me, my mom, sister, fiancee and her mother all went to the local Mexican restaurant- which happens to have LIVE mariachi music on fridays... and it happened to be friday. The band made its way over to my table and asked if we would like a song played, and so my mom requested a love song for me and my fiancee, since we just got engaged. Suprise, suprise, they sing a Sinatra song. Plus, the singer smoothly picks up my new hat off of the extra seat and wears it during the song lol and does his Sinatra impression! It gave everyone a HUGE laugh!
People also commented saying that the hat looked good on him too!lol

jpbales

Practically Family
haha I know what you mean. Straw is stubborn! Every time I stick my head in one it warps out of shape. It looks fine one day after a little work, then the next it's back to it's old crazy self. I guess we should just accept the hat and it's personality/character as it is.

HarpPlayerGene said:
Fun story, jp - and a good looking hat. I wish I could get the brim on my latest to behave like yours but mine has a mind of its own! :p

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jpbales said:
haha I know what you mean. Straw is stubborn! Every time I stick my head in one it warps out of shape. It looks fine one day after a little work, then the next it's back to it's old crazy self. I guess we should just accept the hat and it's personality/character as it is.
I have come to the same conclusion. Sigh. Unless you're a
hat maker, it's just gonna be what it's gonna be.

Still, you have to marvel at the people who weave those things.

LordBest

Practically Family
Kangol Tweed Cap

Well, it hardly compares to the splendid hats posted here recently (love that panama, HarpPlayerGene), but here is my latest:
meinkangol.jpg

It belonged to my grandfather, my grandmother dug it out of a cupboard and gave it to me today. She believes it is one he purchased in the 50s.

RBH

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Received this new old straw today (on Sept. 15th, no less). The hat has a lot of character and must have belonged to a real character. This hat fulfills my desire to have a decent quality vintage Panama which is rough enough to be a knock-around straw without worrying about the thing.

DSC_0006.jpg

And best of all, this was inside! VERY old, yellowed and brittle.
DSC_0024.jpg
:eusa_clap Now this is a hat!! I love it!! :eusa_clap

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I haven't been on the Lounge much since I ordered these (and I have no pics yet, but I'll try this week). I just received two new Akubra orders after a long wait: a Fern Green "Fedora" and a Moonstone "Stylemaster" that I had corresponding color ribbons put on.

I like them so far, and I'll try to post pics.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Good score Gene! I acknowledge what you say about old hats "asking" for a given crease. Sometimes old hats come with a nondescript shape. Often, when you start playing with them, felt memory "ressuscitates" the original crease. I usually keep it (as I do with the ones with a well preserved crease; I wear my hats in a variety of creases, no particular favourite).

Carter, I have the Stetson Andover, which is the same as that Andiamo of yours, but in a center dent crease. In the same colours, too. They are nice hats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic