Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I am aware of the common household uses for toothpaste, but I am curious why you guys emphasize using the Crest brand?
Honestly, cause that’s what the DI’s said to use. Lol
It was a time tested way of scrubbing web belts to get them clean. Also, back then there weren't hundreds of choices. Today’s have whiteners etc. in them. Can’t say how others would work.
B

JP3

New in Town
For those who haven't seen one, this is a pecan beaver from Manny Gammage's Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX. Specifically, the Eli-1.

As I'm on the long oval side and comparatively new to the hatwearing part of the population, the fit and finish of this one has been eye opening.

Two thumbs way up for David Torres (@masterhatter) and the folks at Texas Hatters.

Hook 'em!
(should be tone-on-tone, the ribbon is pretty close in color to the felt and this image is more contrasty than the actual hat)

Attachments

• IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 288
For those who haven't seen one, this is a pecan beaver from Manny Gammage's Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX. Specifically, the Eli-1.

As I'm on the long oval side and comparatively new to the hatwearing part of the population, the fit and finish of this one has been eye opening.

Two thumbs way up for David Torres (@masterhatter) and the folks at Texas Hatters.

Hook 'em!
(should be tone-on-tone, the ribbon is pretty close in color to the felt and this image is more contrasty than the actual hat)

First, welcome, we need more folks like you here.

That hat is just about perfect. I’m going to have to look into that hatter. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Knox 20 from Bill Hughes arrived today.

I tried it on right out of the box. It was a touch too small, as expected, and the pinch was all furschlugginer from shipping. I threw the Hat Jack in it, steamed the brim break and crown to reshape the front crease, and let it sit for a half hour. The results are spectacular, if I do say so, myself.

knox 20 blue_20190307_163427_250x299.jpg
knox 20 blue_20190307_163429_250x308.jpg
knox 20 blue_20190307_163431_250x310.jpg

This hat may have the best proportions for my head and face of any of the hats I have. And the colors! I took pictures in two rooms, with and without the flash, and none of them did it any justice, so I went outside and took the ones you see above. They are the closest to what this hat looks like in person. Who knew blue would do (so well)? haha

Basically, I am thrilled!

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I tried it on right out of the box. It was a touch too small, as expected, and the pinch was all furschlugginer from shipping. I threw the Hat Jack in it, steamed the brim break and crown to reshape the front crease, and let it sit for a half hour. The results are spectacular, if I do say so, myself.

View attachment 159381 View attachment 159382 View attachment 159383

This hat may have the best proportions for my head and face of any of the hats I have. And the colors! I took pictures in two rooms, with and without the flash, and none of them did it any justice, so I went outside and took the ones you see above. They are the closest to what this hat looks like in person. Who knew blue would do (so well)? haha

FabTastic! I bet the colors are even nicer in person.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 159381 View attachment 159382 View attachment 159383

That thing is amazing, on all levels, it the ribbon really draws my eye, with all the minute variations of how it reflects the light. Nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived.

Great Plains Hat Company of Omaha. All I found about them was an article from 1999.

It has pretty severe mothing on the underside of the brim, but I’m looking forward to seeing if I can reduce that.

Dark brown “10X” Western weight felt, black trim, 3 1/4” brim. I’m not sure what 10X means, in this case, but it seems pretty coarse, though definitely not wool-coarse.

Can’t find much about for whom it was made.

Anyway, I think it’s neat!

dc31958d3dd8b8d2c231cbde547236e1.jpg

f943aaf3c1540e02149f0137da3567de.jpg

6ed109b16889f061b7a5d4a58fb41fbe.jpg

38e5c35640d9bd55b431bdd7c85c5354.jpg

a56b5ca41d3bea4ffdf7fab1412084c6.jpg

2ac6ea13eed97c090150d5f62f51aeab.jpg

6dd152b3017cbbdce387034dc7fb7779.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It may have changed ownership by now but the original hatter was a SASS or NCOWS member & the shop was located in CB. The 1990's would have been about right.

I’m not sure what ncows or CB are, but one resource showed that this owner may have had several nicknames, and passed away around 2002, quite young. Nothing I can be certain about though.

ruvort

One of the Regulars
I’m not sure what ncows or CB are, but one resource showed that this owner may have had several nicknames, and passed away around 2002, quite young. Nothing I can be certain about though.

I think CB would mean Council Bluffs, which is a city just across the river from Omaha.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about the hat owner or recognize his name on the sweat. I was referring to the hatter. NCOWS is the National Congress of Old West Shootists. The original hat shop was down in old Council Bluffs & that area has undergone extensive renewal. I can't remember the hatters personal name but he was a mailman by day. He could have moved the shop to Omaha during the CB renewal or sold out.

How he got his start was mading hats for members of NCOWS & SASS. I attended a few NCOWS events including their big convention every Spring. There is a guy who runs the Old West shop at The Fort in Lincoln who could tell you more. Or maybe Scott (Cornshucker77) knows more.

I’m not sure what ncows or CB are,

He could have moved the shop to Omaha during the CB renewal or sold out.
Now that I think about it I seem to recall hearing that he moved his shop into the Old Market area, & the S. 10th St address would be right in the Old Market. Lots of speciality boutiques, bars & restaurants. Every city has such an area. Trendy but expensive rent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21