Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Don’t I know it.
I can only guess that if we go back two-hundred years men wore size 5...and I don’t mean Punti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well, they are there if you really really need one and you can always put in an offer:D

topper61.jpg

I love a true Milan. The color on this one is really interesting. Nice snag Brent.

Very unusual...pine martin! The liner on this one is really a storyteller. I like the color, and as a period stingy, quite a find.

Nice Wormser, and that size is going to make it quite desirable. Too bad it does not fit you.

Very interesting hat again Stefan. The liner tip oil skin is pristine. The lines of this one are appealing.

This one is a corker! Who is the maker of this one, European? I need a topper, well actually I just lust after a topper. It would come in handy for events with our local historical society (1860s period costumes). Gives me a real reason to have one, right...
Welcome back, Mike. Good to see you posting again. Thanks for the likes on the hats. The martora is one that lodged itself in my mind and wouldn't let go. Good to have if for nothing else than the story. Finding a Cervo is always a nice surprise and this one is in wonderful condition too. The "need" for a topper is noted (thank goodness you're not the same size as Brent).
Steve's topper is this one:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/toppers-unite.36577/page-38#post-2284765
Probably made by Spoorenberg of Eindhoven.

Yesterday I showed off a mysterious box, bought for gambling, containing preformed felt cones and finished or almost Borsalino hats. Today, instead, a purchase of a batch of Italian hats from the 70s. All the operations took place in 2018, then I kept the rule of not buying more material for the hat collection, especially not of my size. I lasted for three months, but last week I found a lot of Borsalino almost my size, but we'll talk about it. Meanwhile we see the backlog.
Super Barbisio Extra Lusso size is 6 so a 59 cm. or 7 3/8
2nqs9y1.jpg

Felt is in good conditions, a little bit with "solarization" that changed the tone of the felt
n21v7p.jpg

Sweatband is a hardly worn and it needs some work
Borsalino Qualità Superiore, size is 6 so a 59 cm. or 7 3/8 US
5lwcya.jpg

Felt is light and in good conditions, but it was exposed in the sun so it has a little changed, interior is quite good.
ff25nn.jpg

Borsalino Misto Qualità Superiore, size is 6 1/2 so a 60 cm. or 7 1/2 US
o7msrq.jpg

Felt needs some work to put it in a good flexibility, the interior is good except the sweatband that needs reconditioning
2yn44td.jpg

They are in dry dock and patiently arrive in the closet
Actually I think three months not buying hats is an amazing amount of restraint. The felt cones are interesting and I can't wait to see what our favourite hatter makes of them. These are already fully bloomed. I am predictable: I like the heather one best.

Stetson St. Regis in a nice gray that I fished out of the Bay a couple of weeks ago. See how behind I am in posting...shame. Made the seller an offer that was more reasonable and picked it up. This one is rather interesting in a few ways. It was sold at the "Company Store" on Chestnut Steet in Philly, nice. The size tag has the original price ($12.95 in 1955) but is an unusual configuration, not a keyhole size tag (??) The only manufacturing tag is not under the sweat, but attached to it. And to top it all off - a stamped date on the sweat of March 15, 1955! Have not gotten a chance to wear it in public yet. The felt is very fresh and new, the brim just a little wonky. Steam will help. It came in a period box, not sure if it is 1955 vintage or not.
View attachment 164183 View attachment 164184 View attachment 164185 View attachment 164186 View attachment 164187 View attachment 164188
Very beautiful and a great find, Mike. My favourite colour combination on a homburg.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Stetson St. Regis in a nice gray that I fished out of the Bay a couple of weeks ago. See how behind I am in posting...shame. Made the seller an offer that was more reasonable and picked it up. This one is rather interesting in a few ways. It was sold at the "Company Store" on Chestnut Steet in Philly, nice. The size tag has the original price ($12.95 in 1955) but is an unusual configuration, not a keyhole size tag (??) The only manufacturing tag is not under the sweat, but attached to it. And to top it all off - a stamped date on the sweat of March 15, 1955! Have not gotten a chance to wear it in public yet. The felt is very fresh and new, the brim just a little wonky. Steam will help. It came in a period box, not sure if it is 1955 vintage or not.
View attachment 164183 View attachment 164184 View attachment 164185 View attachment 164186 View attachment 164187 View attachment 164188
Hey Mike good to see you back. You have been missed. Very nice Homy.
A couple points, if memory serves.
Hasn’t discussion concluded that Stetson hats, of that era, used that size/price tag for long ovals exclusively, whereas non-long ovals used the standard keyhole tag?
Also, i believe recently a very knowledgable Stetson lounger made the statement that the stamped date, inside the Stetson sweatbands was a Chestnut Street product exclusively. Like i said, could be wrong, the brain hard drive is pretty fragmented. Lol
Again, great to hear from you.
Be well. Bowen

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Very impressive the mix between an homburg and a top hat. Where it come from?

I will do my best, thanks. Today Im more groggy, but less waste of paper.
In the meantime I have time for the "next" new hats parade :rolleyes:
Glad to hear you're on the mend, Daniele, even if it is going slowly.
The Homburg is a Lembert, German I believe.
Here are some photos taken by Stefan.
16937cc307156c0c1be423007c90ca4e.jpg
1295115b7d556dc21cbe1268dc33cd18.jpg
fc71686bf62d1d9cabfaec8376e1addc.jpg
7b6ee66039dafb17e97b03c2a911cb33.jpg
db5014f80e0cc2fcb29dbde78a60e8a4.jpg
1f007f2f41e561be30412a387fd667e9.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This one is a corker! Who is the maker of this one, European? I need a topper, well actually I just lust after a topper. It would come in handy for events with our local historical society (1860s period costumes). Gives me a real reason to have one, right...[/QUOTE]

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This one is a corker! Who is the maker of this one, European? I need a topper, well actually I just lust after a topper. It would come in handy for events with our local historical society (1860s period costumes). Gives me a real reason to have one, right...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]I posted before replying. Oops [emoji4]
Redfokker posted the message.
Red, you definitely need a topper, no question.
Mine is Dutch.
8c1c01106229bb605f2a425e12f758a4.jpg
7f1cdb83b7d829f1b14d619e39afa179.jpg
939377b7a693549ff372ed80ed2e361b.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Send it back!;) Just kidding of course, Steve. Looks good on you (the crown seems to have grown taller). A hat is meant to be worn and it just wasn't getting enough headtime with me, so I'm glad it found a worthy home.
Thanks Stefan. I'm glad I finally got it in my collection and on my head. It's a Homburg to behold [emoji4]

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Super hat and box. Nice to see you back, Mike.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
This one made it over from Greece (of all places). Not my style, not my colour and it appears not my size. Still had to have it.
Borsalino Martora in the colour Gaggia (google translate comes up empty handed on that one). Size 56 (but seems to have shrunk a size), with the raw edge brim at 4,5cm and the crown at 9,5 cm at the center dent. It has the full appearance of a "little hat" (which I don't like). I wanted it because of the "martora" felt (pine marten). Seems not many of those are around (Daniele has one) and there is one in Timothiescloset's Ebay shop. Lovely hand to the felt and very lightweight. Not "as light as light" as the sweatband would have you believe, but with 76 grams certainly not a heavy puncher. The colour is not that bad actually (Max!); a very dark green.
View attachment 163579 View attachment 163580 View attachment 163581 View attachment 163582 View attachment 163583 View attachment 163584 View attachment 163585 View attachment 163586 View attachment 163587 View attachment 163588
I can't find the one in Timothies

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner