Post New Hats Here!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rundquist, May 4, 2004.

1. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

Thanks again Max. :)

2. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

Sure doc, or we could start a TFL B&B apartment swap to add to the hat swap we already have going.
    :)

3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I'm open for adoption.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

You would have to be fluent in Spanish and prove you didn't vote for a certain presidential candidate. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Steve1857 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  5. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Obrador???

Hat and Rehat and drmaxtejeda like this.
  6. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Yeah, him too.

Tukwila and Hat and Rehat like this.
  7. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

Just don't give him anything else.

I'm convinced my wife will burn mine.
    My 3 year old grandaughter, Liberty Ann, who tells me, "I like your hat, Grandpa," every time we Skype or Facetime, will inherit my hats. Not her twin sister, Molly May, or her older brother, Abel. They'll get something else, but Libs gets the hats.
    As soon as I sign the will, the hats will be totally insured against fire damage.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

steur, Steve1857, Zombie_61 and 3 others like this.
  8. Hat and Rehat

We've got whimsical going.

Zombie_61 and drmaxtejeda like this.
  9. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

How about you just live forever? Alternatively, you can do it Pharaoh style and have your hats buried with you (just make sure there’s no moths in the tomb).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steur, Zombie_61, M Hatman and 3 others like this.
  10. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Nobody seems to worry about moths in Mexico City. Ignacio says it just doesn't happen.

Nobody's ever found Gengis Kahn's tomb. Secrecy is better.

steur, Zombie_61, M Hatman and 2 others like this.
  11. Hat and Rehat

I last posted new hats two days ago; a Milan Western, which is a Stetson, and very nice, and also a medium blue Stetson Royal De Luxe velour with a vinyl hat band so hideous that the horse would have died if they installed a Last Drop liner in it.
    I can barely even look at the hat.
    I was coincidentally home when they were delivered. Actually, I was strategically home because things at home seemed a little more relaxed when there weren't as many multi hat delivery days, but I had reason to think the postman could, well .... ring twice, so to speak.
    Mail was early that day, I cleared the porch, then worked an afternoon/evening shift. Upon my arrival home I found my postman rang a hat trick!
    A boxed Dunlap Supreme, cordovan with an almost OD wide Grosgrain greeted me at the door. It's the first Dunlap in my experience, and a nice hat. A little stiff, but with a velvet hand, a triple stitched underwelt invisible on the upper brim, but clear on the underbrim, and with characteristics very like at least one of my Champ fedoras. The color is almost identical to the Champ stingy that I cast around for the right word to describe, ending up with, almost oxblood. It also has a Kasmir finish, embossed in the front of the sweat exactly the way it is in Champ hats.
    Are the companies closely affiliated, or do the just source their felts in the same place?
    What gives?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Hat and Rehat

Here's mine, a little incognito, should we say?

The first time I put it on the sweatband seam popped all the way around like a prolonged machine gun burst, or like one of those annoying rolls of flatulance that occaisonally purrs at everyone as you're leaving a room.

The leather itself is surpisingly intact. The thread though, in truly radical fashion, epitomized the often misused phrase, coming apart at the seams. Only about 1 1/4 inch refused to join the parade, and hung on tenaciously, because I ended up tearing the very edge, past the stitches, off in that one small area. Even so, it looks possible to sew the same sweat back in.

The ribbon had a line of basic, staggered stitches in from each edge, and a nice long bow, pinched down nicely in the center, but the sand color was a little drab against the felt, which was about the same color.

It wasn't until I was brushing pretty strongly at the end of a gas bath, trying to break up some perspiration that looked like an akaline flat front and center below the ribbon, when I realized how far that Grosgrain had degraded to the sand tone it now appeared. The reverse side was decidedly green.

Now she looks a bit forlorn, stripped naked as she is until I make up my mind whether to attempt a restoration true to the hat that was, or to relax and take it any direction I choose[​IMG][​IMG]

13. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Thanks Max but i don’t know. Prob be awhile before they got any money. I’d have to kick the tires for a good while. You know, quality control issues.
    B

14. UnclePete

UnclePete New in Town

Another beautiful duplex by Mike @ Northwest Hats.
    Had the accent on the bow to match the Silverbelly brim.
    I was in the queue for another hat and changed to this at the last moment.
    Sure glad I did.

2426E9F8-1520-4871-A4EA-0FEF077AF01C.jpeg C346B0E0-4F94-4F26-8CE4-430FED1649A7.jpeg 8857AA4F-12C0-460A-9D73-D1683408A975.jpeg D6F924A5-44ED-44C4-A0E6-953C365FCD43.jpeg 796C748E-8D26-431D-8967-C9E00EE9A5C8.jpeg

15. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

A lot of potential in that felt, me thinks. Install a sweat, some contrasting ribbon and voila! or Bob's yer uncle!

16. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

17. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Marathon One Hundred Beaver. Very, very smooth, and obedient felt in the crown. With and without mule kick.
    I don't know who Mr. Walt Martini is or was, but that is surely a beautiful last name![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Steve1857

Steve1857 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't know what I want more, Max. That great hat, or that cool name.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

19. Hat and Rehat

It used to be a little peach colored.
    I kust finished rereading Epetinger's book on hats, a good thing to do now given my present contextual understanding. He talks about working powdered colors into faded or streaked hats, available from hat supply houses. After working them in, the knap is smoothed with a pad with grease melted into it. Apparently the powders were for dying felt. Can they still be obtained, or are they now obsolete?

steur likes this.
  20. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Max Martini would sound better.
    My golfing buddies call me Max Mulligan, but it's not as nice.