Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cigarband said:
I do not do it justice. However, I am vain enough to hope for one or two kind words from my fellow FLers. My apologies for the poor lighting. Gentlemen and Ladies, the floor is yours.

Sir, at the risk of rife back-slapping on this thread, I think that hat looks very nice and suits you well. You and it do carry a bit of the Capone look but I like that. I don't have a gangster allergy. :D

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Resizing boundaries?

I have a large head, 7 3/4 long oval. I have read from time to time that posters have had old hats resized. I see attractive hats on eBay, but the better nutrition of us baby boomers as compared to our father's generation means that hats my size are rare, particularly in classics.

What are the limits of resizing possibilities, and what factors bear on it?

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
Michaelshane said:
This one is next to go to Optimo for to be made my size 7 1/4...

P1040711.jpg

Glad you're keeping this one MS.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Kilo November, the general rule of thumb is one size but there are variables. Once the crown is opened up ( more than one size) you risk losing crown height. In some cases that's not bad, in others it ruins the proportions.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mallory runt of the litter

Ok, I said I'd post the 4th hat I found the other day with the 3 long hairs. Its a Mallory that is too small for me, has a saggy ribbon, some mothing, and a bad trim job on the brim. Yep, lots of character. It also came from the same haberdasher as one of the long hairs, so it came home with me too.

Its a crown stamped (no liner), no model name Mallory. Very light, thin, but shapeable felt. A 2 1/16" sweat with some of the nicer leather I've felt. The embossed Mallory logo is "The Mallory Hat Co." along with "Cravenette" in an older looking script. The crown stamp is "Gold Medal" instead of Aristocrat, Premier, or one of the other levels you usually see with Mallory.

mallory_no_liner_1.jpg

mallory_no_liner_2.jpg

mallory_no_liner_3.jpg

mallory_no_liner_4.jpg

mallory_no_liner_5.jpg

I didn't find any hats today, but did find this at the last antique shop I stopped at:

hatmaker.jpg

B

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Stratton police straw. Wore it as it came to me.

P1070533.jpg

Then decided to give it a good soak, and change the brim shape.

P1070537.jpg

The seller had no idea what the badge is. If you do, I'd appreciate hearing from you. :)

P1070534.jpg

troy

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
Stratton police straw. Wore it as it came to me.

P1070533.jpg

Great straw J.T., though I do have to say, I love it more before the new shape. But don't listen to me, I am a brim up sort of guy.[huh]

buler

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
buler, those tools are fantastic. OK, I've got to hit you up again: Are any of those for a size 7 hat???...

Hi Gene. Here is what they are marked.

Fedora crown - 7 1/4 165
Optimo crown - 7 963
Flat top - 7 3/8 421
Flange - 7 1/8 901
dome - 6 3/4 24

B

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
troy said:
Great straw J.T., though I do have to say, I love it more before the new shape. But don't listen to me, I am a brim up sort of guy.[huh]

Troy, Thank-you. Though it isn't my favorite style, I have come to respect the "brim up" treatment. :)
One of the best features of these hats is that they are almost "bullet proof."
I suspect I could change the shape once a month, for ten years, and it would probably still look pretty much the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou