Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

duggap

Banned
Interesting looking hat you got there D'man. What type crease are you going to put in it. It looks like the crown may be a little short for a diamond or c-crown. Maybe it can make a good boss of the plains.;)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
4-1/2" crown, 3" brim. It's boss of the plains dimensions, and boss of the plains blocking, so I think it'll stay open crown. It came with a modified cattleman's crease, but it eliminated just about all the headroom the hat has.

Because of the NRA tag, it can be dated between 1933 and 1935. The gold foil size tag seems to have disappeared by the very early 1940s, replaced by the manila cardstock one.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Beautifully Boxed B. Brent Black via 'Bay

3586210113_8a074fa84e_o.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Old Knox Twenty

This arrived today, and fits perfectly. It has a very thin foil-like size tag, and an oilskin-like covering over the 'Knox Twenty' liner label. Brim is 2 7/8". Color is a darker brown than pics. I would really like to rip off that oilskin, so that the label can be seen. Ideas as to age? My guess is right at 1940.

He had just sold a similar condition brown Borsalino for $70 :(

Knox20Front.jpg

Knox20Side.jpg

Knox20Sweat.jpg

Knox20Size.jpg

Knox20Liner.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs - light grey

Here's the Dobbs that just arrived. It's flawless. Sweatband has embossed "Dobbs" with "Hanover Square" underneath.

DobbsFront.jpg

DobbsMUB.jpg

DobbsMBottom.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
I would really like to rip off that oilskin, so that the label can be seen. Ideas as to age? My guess is right at 1940.
I think those old oilskin-type liners are cool. And literally
so, compared to the later plastic ones. I say keep it.
That is an old looking tag, but I'd hate to guess on the age.

Nice hat. I have two Knox 20s and I like 'em.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:

Nice one, D-man!

My wife remembers shopping at Wolff's but isn't sure when it closed. Portsmouth is the county seat of Scioto County, where Rhonda is from and where we currently reside. (Scioto County, not Portsmouth--she's from Lucasville.)

Cheers,
Tom

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Montecristi Panama Hat

Well this is my first Panama hat. A sub-fino Monetecristi from Panama Hats Direct. Being my fist straw hat I didn't want to go high-end off the bat, instead I just wanted to see what they were like. It's not the greatest Panama hat by any means, but I like it and maybe for next year I'll get a higher grade. It came with a liner, but I took it out - just didn't seem right.

BTW, anyone know why the join of the silk band is on the right (when wearing it)? It's not a mistake with mine, all of Casey's silk bands are like that while the bows are on the left (as per usual).

3586767613_f4a52a7fb2_b.jpg

See, the seam of the ribbon is on this side.

3587578854_9f12515f66_b.jpg

3586769727_df5d2e7c7b_b.jpg

3586766497_beceef0efc_b.jpg

And the obligatory ugly mug shot.

3587411336_890b73a9c0.jpg

EDIT - this post just made me "One of the Regulars" :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Wow -- some beauties there, Scott. Congrats! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks JtL - it was a great day at the post office.

feltfan said:
I think those old oilskin-type liners are cool. And literally
so, compared to the later plastic ones. I say keep it.
That is an old looking tag, but I'd hate to guess on the age.

Nice hat. I have two Knox 20s and I like 'em.

Thanks feltfan - I'll keep the oilskin as you suggested. I should have just brushed up the hat and worn it. But no, I had to look closer: The liner was glued in (solidly), as was the front 1/3 of the sweatband where the stitching had come out...and the ribbon was stretched and about off. The felt was so much brighter under the ribbon, that given the other issues, I decided to rebuild the hat.

Now the glue has been picked off the felt, ribbon is off and the hat is soaking. I guess the good part is that I get to learn how to use a stitching awl under the best circumstances - sweat is 2/3 of the way stitched already. And the hat should be very nice when completed...back to work.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
On a recent trip to see my son in college in Indiana, I stopped by an antique mall just outside of Columbus and while there I came upon an antique top hat manufactured E.F. Miller of Altoona, Pennsylvania. This is the way the hat came, in the original leather box, not in great shape but still functional, lined with ticking. I looked Miller up on the internet and found that E.F. Miller was in Altoona from about 1880 through 1930. This hat is in really excellent condition.

PIC-0162.jpg

PIC-0162.jpg

PIC-0164.jpg

PIC-0166.jpg

PIC-0167.jpg

PIC-0167.jpg

PIC-0167.jpg

PIC-0170.jpg

donCarlos

Practically Family
I finally got a homburg. Sadly, I can´t pull it off, but it´s a must have, isn´t it? And for three dollars, as usually... Brand is "Gloria Excellent" and I have no other info on how old this hat can be.

front.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
donCarlos said:
I finally got a homburg. Sadly, I can´t pull it off, but it´s a must have, isn´t it? And for three dollars, as usually... Brand is "Gloria Excellent" and I have no other info on how old this hat can be.

front.jpg

Looks to me like you "pull it off" pretty good! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
A mint condition Resistol.
There appears to be no wear to the felt, sweat, or liner. The rust colored ribbon is one inch and the brim has a moderate bound edge. I have begun to favor brims within the lower end of the 2-2 1/2" inch range. This one is slightly over 2" and perfect.
The felt is supple enough to easily take a shape. I tend to let the fedora dictate it's style.
1243526365.jpg

1243526492.jpg

I am extremely happy with this fedora.

donCarlos

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Looks to me like you "pull it off" pretty good! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
you´re too kind, but thank you. I won´t wear it too often anyway, it´s too formal. (even for me :) )

BTW, is "pull something off" wrong? I heard this idiom recently and I´m not sure how to use it.

Feraud said:

I have begun to favor brims within the lower end of the 2-2 1/2" inch range. This one is slightly over 2" and perfect.

I am extremely happy with this fedora.

Man, you oughta be happy with that one.

As to the dimensions ... I could be projecting my own changing aesthetic sensibilities here, but I detect an increasing popularity of the tall crown/narrowish brim look. And I'm guessing that the J. Depp movie that'll be coming out in about a month will further fuel that trend.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice, Feraud. I too find myself more and more favoring the narrower brim, tall crown look.

What kind of brim treatment does you new Resistol have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen