Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, H. I have 9 Bowlers, 6 of them have similar linings and interiors to the Hartley and Boedeker.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
My hat purchases have suffered something akin to price point creep. Originally I was determined to be frugal, so I have Bowlers with missing sweatbands, ribbons falling off, etc. One, which must be in a box in my attic, needs complete retrimming. Even the binding is shiny and frayed. The other is a Penn- Craft, which I understanding was affiliated with Stetson. The ribbon is only held on by stitches at one end, which were behind the bow, which was quite literally held on by a thread, but is now in a miscellaneous parts tub, awaiting the day I refurbish the hat (waiting patiently, I hope). The Penn Craft came with no sweat, so it makes no sense to reattach ribbon prior to new leather. It has a very tightly pleated liner, and a tip cap that is fairly stiff. The sad thing, which I did not notice in photos prior to purchase, is that the liner fabric on one side became so old and dry that it's separating into strips, as if the alternate threads in the weave took a hike. If I put a very wide sweat in, the liner may be salvageable.
I do have a brown Resistol, a Beyers Rolnick, probably mid 60s that is fully intact and wearable. It has a nice inside, which I have no complaint with, pleated liner to a tip with a plastic protector, and leather in good shape except a little scuffed along the bottom from being set places o.n the brim instead of the crown. It's a solid hat, but doesn't elicit "wows".
Finally (it seems) I have a more modern Pilgrim brand, made by Morefelt. It has an unpleated liner, and the felt is quite coarse. It's nothing to write home about.
I don't hate it, but it has little to arouse strong feelings in either direction.
My earlier impression of 5 may have been inflated, and I was surely wrong to suggest 6. I purchased so many hats in such a short time window that I don't know exactly what I own. You can't swing a cat without hitting a hat in my house. I have hats that fit me which have only been on my head once or twice, and never in public. My wife has good cause for some of her ire, and I have earnestly been trying to reform.
I haven't bid on a hat in a week!
"Hello. I'm Steve, and I'm a hataholic."
I could fall off the wagon at any moment.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Picked up this Tepee Western store; Amarillo, Texas hat on ebay. Golden Spread Beaver is the description on the sweat. Whatever that is it is a nice soft hand, and compares favorably to the 1960's Resistols I have. 5 inches at the front bash with a 3.5 inch brim.
s-l1600.jpg
DSCN0839.JPG
DSCN0838.JPG
DSCN0844.JPG
DSCN0845.JPG
DSCN0847.JPG
DSCN0849.JPG

Picked up this Tepee Western store; Amarillo, Texas hat on ebay. Golden Spread Beaver is the description on the sweat. Whatever that is it is a nice soft hand, and compares favorably to the 1960's Resistols I have. 5 inches at the front bash with a 3.5 inch brim.
View attachment 186130 View attachment 186131 View attachment 186132 View attachment 186133 View attachment 186134 View attachment 186135 View attachment 186136

Looks great! Some of these lesser known brands fly under the radar and can be found for bargain prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 186130 View attachment 186131 View attachment 186132 View attachment 186133 View attachment 186134 View attachment 186135 View attachment 186136
Sort of a light Western weight? That brim looks supple.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

I still feel guilty to buy two hats absolutely not of my size, but they were too beautiful to leave them
Another arrival from France
View attachment 186035
J&B was the French producer of this hat in black velour. The hatter, was, based on my experience, the best in France in those years
View attachment 186036
From my experience with J&B hats, I have some others made before the WWII was made in the twenty
View attachment 186037
The proportions are as follows: raw brim to 6,5 cm. open crown at 13 and the ribbon is 5 cm.
View attachment 186038
I haven’t the experince of Steve about velour, neither I can’t decipher who made it, but this is fantastic. Soft and pliable, very dense and rich
View attachment 186039
The inside is without patch or lining, there was somenthing I’m sure, but not today.
Under the sweatband there are two paper labels: the above and the size tag 4 1/2 or 56 cm.
The golden and embossed stamps on the sweatband are there:
View attachment 186040
The shop where it was sold
View attachment 186041
It was used, but for the its age in a perfect shape, no moths, no flaws.
View attachment 186042
I can tell you that Daniele is depressed for the size of this hat and considers those who can wear it very lucky :)
I know how you must feel, Daniele. The hat looks marvelous and this sentiment has made me buy more than one black velour hat even though I rarely wear them. There's something very attractive to them. I must now force myself to not look at these pictures before I succumb again.

Mirtillo is my favourite blue. Nice find Stefan.

Another nice find in my favourite blue, Stefan. Love the postcard and photo of Puls shop. Thanks for sharing.

Two mirtillo hats in one day! Along with cadet, this is my favorite shade of blue. Congrats on the finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, gentlemen. It is quite rare to find two in one haul. One is going in the for sale pile for sure and the other one I'm going to have compare with the other two Borsalino mirtillo hats I have.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Nice catch, Scott. Tall and wide. Looks good on you.

Dotneck

One of the Regulars
Hi guys...went to visit my brother-in-law who lives in another state so we don't see him that much. He saw I was wearing a hat and said he had some hats he doesn't use that much and would I be interested. I said sure. In a few minutes about fifteen hat boxes appeared. Borsos, Stetsons, Supernaturals. All size 7. I wear 7 1/8 to 7 1/4.

I ended up with a small handful anyway..

9FVxwDS.jpg

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Wow, quite a haul! Congrats on that score!

Hi guys...went to visit my brother-in-law who lives in another state so we don't see him that much. He saw I was wearing a hat and said he had some hats he doesn't use that much and would I be interested. I said sure. In a few minutes about fifteen hat boxes appeared. Borsos, Stetsons, Supernaturals. All size 7. I wear 7 1/8 to 7 1/4.

I ended up with a small handful anyway..

9FVxwDS.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24