Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SteveFord

A-List Customer
Thank you. That guitar has the old 50s neck so it plays really nice for my big hands.
I got the sweatband supple enough with Lexol Leather Conditioner and then heat from my head so I could look inside the sweatband. There's a tag that says $20.00 and that's also embossed into the leather along with the lot number and size. A fancy schmancy number for the upper crust types.

quikrick

One Too Many
Introducing the Musketeer Lite from Phoenix Hats

The back story:

Some time back, Rick @humanshoes started playing with a variety of ribbon combinations which got this whole thing started. Most of my felt hats are 2 ½ to 2 ¾ inch brims with a 4 ½ to 5 inch finished crown and 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ ribbon (westerns, derby’s and thin ribbons being the exceptions). I have one black short hair trilby (1 7/8 brim) that is a great grab-n-go hat. While I’m not heavy into trilby’s myself, I thought, why not build a sporty, grab-n-go, 50’s patterned short brim model with some unique features that breaks away from my “norm”. And so the new hat started to take shape (pun intended)! Recently, a post was made of a Stetson Musketeer and, to be honest, I was surprised at the similarities. While there are obvious differences, this one certainly makes its mark as a Lite version of the Stetson Musketeer.

The Hat:

The hat is a Natural felt which tends toward gray/brown. The first and most obvious difference from the norm is the twin ribbon configuration using stacked ½ inch Saddle color and ½ inch tan color ribbons. The original plan was to make a pork pie, flat top crown but the final version turned into more of a telescope crown which, to me, suits the hat better. It maintains the Fedora look without drifting too far towards a Gambler. Sides are mostly straight but, to give it the sporty look, Rick added a rake from 4 ½ in front to an even 4 inches in the rear. The brim is 2 ¼ raw edge with a light flange and incorporates triple-stitching with the contrasting tan thread. I love the final outcome but there are a lot of earth tones going on with this hat so I thought I would add a splash of color. What do you think?

Fit and finish are spot-on as we have come to expect. Hats I get from Rick just keep getting better and better and I am mighty proud to add this “keeper” to my collection. Thank you, Rick.

[The hat has more brown tones than is evident in these pics.]

View attachment 210869 View attachment 210870 View attachment 210871 View attachment 210872 View attachment 210874 View attachment 210875 View attachment 210877 View attachment 210881 View attachment 210883
DANG RANDY! I *REALLY* like that one.
"Practically perfect in every way" ~Mary Poppins

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all. This is my first Natural felt and the color is something I've been looking for to match more of my daily wear clothes. I don't generally use feathers either but this hat seemed to want one, so I listened to the hat! I hope to see double and triple ribbons on some of you other Loungers in the future!

Outstanding Randy !!!

Wow Randy!! The feather really makes that hat pop! It looks great on you my friend. I hope you wear it in good health for many years to come.

That is one sharp looking hat! I'm not a feather guy, but the one you added really adds to the hat, not that it needed it to begin with. Another fine craft from Rick.

Not too shabby, guys. Great job and nice homage.

Wow, I really really like that hat ! I love that ribbon and was already planning one similar after the post of the Stetson advertisement.

Perfect dimensions and looks fantastic on you !!

Great hat, Randy. The triple stitched brim, the two-tone ribbon, it all just comes together so nicely. It doesn’t seem busy, but the more you look at it the more there is to see. Outstanding job by Rick, and I also applaud you for expanding your hat horizons.

That’s as sweet as they get!!!

DANG RANDY! I *REALLY* like that one.
"Practically perfect in every way" ~Mary Poppins

The back story:

Some time back, Rick @humanshoes started playing with a variety of ribbon combinations which got this whole thing started. Most of my felt hats are 2 ½ to 2 ¾ inch brims with a 4 ½ to 5 inch finished crown and 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ ribbon (westerns, derby’s and thin ribbons being the exceptions). I have one black short hair trilby (1 7/8 brim) that is a great grab-n-go hat. While I’m not heavy into trilby’s myself, I thought, why not build a sporty, grab-n-go, 50’s patterned short brim model with some unique features that breaks away from my “norm”. And so the new hat started to take shape (pun intended)! Recently, a post was made of a Stetson Musketeer and, to be honest, I was surprised at the similarities. While there are obvious differences, this one certainly makes its mark as a Lite version of the Stetson Musketeer.

The Hat:

The hat is a Natural felt which tends toward gray/brown. The first and most obvious difference from the norm is the twin ribbon configuration using stacked ½ inch Saddle color and ½ inch tan color ribbons. The original plan was to make a pork pie, flat top crown but the final version turned into more of a telescope crown which, to me, suits the hat better. It maintains the Fedora look without drifting too far towards a Gambler. Sides are mostly straight but, to give it the sporty look, Rick added a rake from 4 ½ in front to an even 4 inches in the rear. The brim is 2 ¼ raw edge with a light flange and incorporates triple-stitching with the contrasting tan thread. I love the final outcome but there are a lot of earth tones going on with this hat so I thought I would add a splash of color. What do you think?

Fit and finish are spot-on as we have come to expect. Hats I get from Rick just keep getting better and better and I am mighty proud to add this “keeper” to my collection. Thank you, Rick.

View attachment 210869 View attachment 210870 View attachment 210871 View attachment 210872 View attachment 210874 View attachment 210875 View attachment 210877 View attachment 210881 View attachment 210883
Good idea and splendid execution. Nice one, Randy.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I got this Panama fedora from David Morgan for my birthday. Of course, that means snow today!
I0BYwNy.png

zOyKiHA.png

mjZ14JZ.png

0U7xPJQ.png

2Wz3bqN.png

Last edited:

PanosChris

Practically Family
Hunting locally has it's own unique charm even if the trophies lack the variety of ebay and other similar online markets. So after getting the necessary information from Stefan (thanks!) the appointment was set and this stray hat came with me :)

GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro western
20200209_135849.jpg
20200209_140007.jpg
Crown at about 15+cm and brim at 8.6cm. Felt has a great hand though a bit stiff as you would expect from a western hat. Ribbon at 1.7cm, six cord style
20200209_135836.jpg
20200209_140016.jpg
The hat was imported for the Norwegian market and sold in the oldest hat shop in Oslo (still in business today).
20200209_140255.jpg
20200209_140039.jpg

Label says the color is Banana which is actually a greenish tan (taupe). Size 5 &1/2 (58), however it fits me perfectly so it is rather a smallish 57. It doesn't feel that it has shrunk though since the sweatband is still very very soft. Production year is 1982 according to the label
20200209_140122.jpg

The overall condition is mint. Unfortunately I think it has lost the liner since I can't find any clues that was originaly made as is. It is an interesting hat and very happy for finding it but not sure yet how often I will wear this one. If that is really something for you just let me know :)

Panos

Last edited:

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
Very nice find. Can't wait to see you wearing it :)

Hunting locally has it's own unique charm even if the trophys lack the variety of ebay and other similar online markets. So after getting the necessary information from Stefan (thanks!) the appointment was set and this stray hat came with me :)

GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro western View attachment 211914 View attachment 211916 Crown at about 15+cm and brim at 8.6cm. Felt has a great hand though a bit stiff as you would expect from a western hat. Ribbon at 1.7cm, six cord style View attachment 211917 View attachment 211915 The hat was imported for the Norwegian market and sold in the oldest hat shop in Oslo (still in business today). View attachment 211918 View attachment 211919
Label says the color is Banana which is actually a greenish tan (taupe). Size 5 &1/2 (58), however it fits me perfectly so it is rather a smallish 57. It doesn't feel that it has shrunk though since the sweatband is still very very soft. Production year is 1982 according to the label View attachment 211920
The overall condition is mint. Unfortunately I think it has lost the liner since I can't find any clues that was originaly made as is. It is an interesting hat and very happy for finding it but not sure yet how often I will wear this one. If that is really something for you just let me know :)

Panos

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
The more I look at it, the more I like it Randy. It is a beautiful hat and you wear it like a champion:)

The back story:

The Hat:

^^^^^ Very cool @PanosChris ! Not sure I've seen one of these before. Have you posted head shots yet? I bet you could pull it off.

I picked these two up to flip. Maybe if @steur becomes "cowboy curious" we could work out a trade. :D

Both of these are pretty nice and the 20X in particular has a very nice "hand".

Resistol 20X "Tarrant":

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

upload_2020-2-9_13-28-16.png

Resistol 10X "Sterling Horse":

IMG_6527.jpg

IMG_6528.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

upload_2020-2-9_13-35-24.png

PanosChris

Practically Family
^^^^^ Very cool @PanosChris ! Not sure I've seen one of these before. Have you posted head shots yet? I bet you could pull it off.

I picked these two up to flip. Maybe if @steur becomes "cowboy curious" we could work out a trade. :D

Both of these are pretty nice and the 20X in particular has a very nice "hand".

Resistol 20X "Tarrant":

View attachment 211924

View attachment 211925

View attachment 211928

View attachment 211929

View attachment 211930

Resistol 10X "Sterling Horse":

View attachment 211931

View attachment 211932

View attachment 211933

View attachment 211934

View attachment 211935
Thanks Bob :)

Nice gets too! If Stefan becomes "cowboy curious" I might wear this fu Lazzaro at work one day ;)

Hunting locally has it's own unique charm even if the trophys lack the variety of ebay and other similar online markets. So after getting the necessary information from Stefan (thanks!) the appointment was set and this stray hat came with me :)

GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro western View attachment 211914 View attachment 211916 Crown at about 15+cm and brim at 8.6cm. Felt has a great hand though a bit stiff as you would expect from a western hat. Ribbon at 1.7cm, six cord style View attachment 211917 View attachment 211915 The hat was imported for the Norwegian market and sold in the oldest hat shop in Oslo (still in business today). View attachment 211918 View attachment 211919
Label says the color is Banana which is actually a greenish tan (taupe). Size 5 &1/2 (58), however it fits me perfectly so it is rather a smallish 57. It doesn't feel that it has shrunk though since the sweatband is still very very soft. Production year is 1982 according to the label View attachment 211920

Panos

You should definitely wear it. I’d lower those bumpers and crease it, but it looks great.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Not many western Borso's around these parts. Excellent addition to your collection.

Hunting locally has it's own unique charm even if the trophies lack the variety of ebay and other similar online markets. So after getting the necessary information from Stefan (thanks!) the appointment was set and this stray hat came with me :)

Panos

I added this Churchill Lord's hat, against my better judgment. I have my doubts about suitability, but my friend Panos has convinced me to give it a chance. It is in outstanding shape and it came with the original box. Not much information on the sticker inside other than the price of $20.00.

Time will tell :)
View attachment 211995 View attachment 211996 View attachment 211997 View attachment 211999 View attachment 212000
Wearing it wonderfully Hector!

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab

Panos

That's a unique one Panos. Very cool.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
I added this Churchill Lord's hat, against my better judgment. I have my doubts about suitability, but my friend Panos has convinced me to give it a chance. It is in outstanding shape and it came with the original box. Not much information on the sticker inside other than the price of $20.00.

Time will tell :)
View attachment 211995 View attachment 211996 View attachment 211997 View attachment 211999 View attachment 212000

I think it looks great on you Hector !

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A Mayser Superbe. Thanks to Daniele, this one now has a Texas address. I'll call this one a transition hat. The color is a bit of a chameleon. It is middle gray all the way but changes with the lighting conditions. The outdoor pics below show the most accurate color. Indoors and low light, it gets much darker. The ribbon and binding carry a bit of a gray/green tint. This model dates from Feb. of 1956. The crown is about 4 1/2 finished with a 2 5/8 brim and 1 1/4 ribbon.

The diminnsions are very reminiscent of Steton OR's and Stratoliners and I had a hard time not putting a cattleman's crease in it. I opted for what I have seen on some older hat styles with much shorter side creases. This one also has a nice flange and it wants to be a homburg. The finish is excellent and, as far as a transition hat, this is that finish that sits right between a 3X and a Stetson 100 - silky smooth with the beginning notes of that clay-like finish of the 100's and 7XCB's. It is indeed Superbe! Thanks Daniele.

20200210_101721.jpg 20200204_132500.jpg 20200210_101744.jpg 20200210_101757.jpg 20200210_101820.jpg 20200210_101836.jpg 20200210_101908.jpg 20200210_102004.jpg 20200210_101924.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy