Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Introducing the Musketeer Lite from Phoenix Hats

The back story:

Some time back, Rick @humanshoes started playing with a variety of ribbon combinations which got this whole thing started. Most of my felt hats are 2 ½ to 2 ¾ inch brims with a 4 ½ to 5 inch finished crown and 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ ribbon (westerns, derby’s and thin ribbons being the exceptions). I have one black short hair trilby (1 7/8 brim) that is a great grab-n-go hat. While I’m not heavy into trilby’s myself, I thought, why not build a sporty, grab-n-go, 50’s patterned short brim model with some unique features that breaks away from my “norm”. And so the new hat started to take shape (pun intended)! Recently, a post was made of a Stetson Musketeer and, to be honest, I was surprised at the similarities. While there are obvious differences, this one certainly makes its mark as a Lite version of the Stetson Musketeer.

The Hat:

The hat is a Natural felt which tends toward gray/brown. The first and most obvious difference from the norm is the twin ribbon configuration using stacked ½ inch Saddle color and ½ inch tan color ribbons. The original plan was to make a pork pie, flat top crown but the final version turned into more of a telescope crown which, to me, suits the hat better. It maintains the Fedora look without drifting too far towards a Gambler. Sides are mostly straight but, to give it the sporty look, Rick added a rake from 4 ½ in front to an even 4 inches in the rear. The brim is 2 ¼ raw edge with a light flange and incorporates triple-stitching with the contrasting tan thread. I love the final outcome but there are a lot of earth tones going on with this hat so I thought I would add a splash of color. What do you think?

Fit and finish are spot-on as we have come to expect. Hats I get from Rick just keep getting better and better and I am mighty proud to add this “keeper” to my collection. Thank you, Rick.

[The hat has more brown tones than is evident in these pics.]

View attachment 210869 View attachment 210870 View attachment 210871 View attachment 210872 View attachment 210874 View attachment 210875 View attachment 210877 View attachment 210881 View attachment 210883
That is one sharp looking hat! I'm not a feather guy, but the one you added really adds to the hat, not that it needed it to begin with. Another fine craft from Rick.

The back story:

Some time back, Rick @humanshoes started playing with a variety of ribbon combinations which got this whole thing started. Most of my felt hats are 2 ½ to 2 ¾ inch brims with a 4 ½ to 5 inch finished crown and 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ ribbon (westerns, derby’s and thin ribbons being the exceptions). I have one black short hair trilby (1 7/8 brim) that is a great grab-n-go hat. While I’m not heavy into trilby’s myself, I thought, why not build a sporty, grab-n-go, 50’s patterned short brim model with some unique features that breaks away from my “norm”. And so the new hat started to take shape (pun intended)! Recently, a post was made of a Stetson Musketeer and, to be honest, I was surprised at the similarities. While there are obvious differences, this one certainly makes its mark as a Lite version of the Stetson Musketeer.

The Hat:

The hat is a Natural felt which tends toward gray/brown. The first and most obvious difference from the norm is the twin ribbon configuration using stacked ½ inch Saddle color and ½ inch tan color ribbons. The original plan was to make a pork pie, flat top crown but the final version turned into more of a telescope crown which, to me, suits the hat better. It maintains the Fedora look without drifting too far towards a Gambler. Sides are mostly straight but, to give it the sporty look, Rick added a rake from 4 ½ in front to an even 4 inches in the rear. The brim is 2 ¼ raw edge with a light flange and incorporates triple-stitching with the contrasting tan thread. I love the final outcome but there are a lot of earth tones going on with this hat so I thought I would add a splash of color. What do you think?

Fit and finish are spot-on as we have come to expect. Hats I get from Rick just keep getting better and better and I am mighty proud to add this “keeper” to my collection. Thank you, Rick.

View attachment 210869 View attachment 210870 View attachment 210871 View attachment 210872 View attachment 210874 View attachment 210875 View attachment 210877 View attachment 210881 View attachment 210883

Wow Randy!! The feather really makes that hat pop! It looks great on you my friend. I hope you wear it in good health for many years to come.

Not too shabby, guys. Great job and nice homage.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab

The back story:

The Hat:

Wow, I really really like that hat ! I love that ribbon and was already planning one similar after the post of the Stetson advertisement.

Perfect dimensions and looks fantastic on you !!

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Well I was just whining like a baby to my wife that I didn’t have any more hats to work on after finishing the Whippet, when what did appear on my porch all the way from Norway.....

A great gift from Panos @PanosChris that he nicely thought of me thinking It would be a good one for me to restore. A Dobbs Twenty wide brim that I’ve actually been looking for. Nice color and felt except for a few pretty big worm holes and a few light stains that should come out. I’ve had good success with the holes also.

I don’t think the ribbon stains are going to come out, so I was thinking of doing a thin ribbon campaign bow and try to make it a Stratoliner clone since that’s one of my favorite styles.
What do y’all think ?

390D538D-4A32-4DE5-8D5A-28B4F29DA83D.jpeg

57379CC6-9CF4-4058-905F-CC20A14BB5F9.jpeg

46FC52F6-6EA9-4190-AC83-1379889AD48B.jpeg

FBDF6B61-BE07-41BE-8908-F6EDE482E45D.jpeg

1EF01BC6-ACCF-4B1C-899F-21213FB7154C.jpeg

1C6F9932-8BA7-47CC-9A75-1D4704F04DD0.jpeg

EF8EC55A-8499-4581-81D0-9B6D146D838C.jpeg

A458F9DB-EE3B-490D-8E00-3D5C51247DC4.jpeg

The back story:

The Hat:

Great hat, Randy. The triple stitched brim, the two-tone ribbon, it all just comes together so nicely. It doesn’t seem busy, but the more you look at it the more there is to see. Outstanding job by Rick, and I also applaud you for expanding your hat horizons.

PanosChris

Practically Family
Well I was just whining like a baby to my wife that I didn’t have any more hats to work on after finishing the Whippet, when what did appear on my porch all the way from Norway.....

A great gift from Panos @PanosChris that he nicely thought of me thinking It would be a good one for me to restore. A Dobbs Twenty wide brim that I’ve actually been looking for. Nice color and felt except for a few pretty big worm holes and a few light stains that should come out. I’ve had good success with the holes also.

I don’t think the ribbon stains are going to come out, so I was thinking of doing a thin ribbon campaign bow and try to make it a Stratoliner clone since that’s one of my favorite styles.
What do y’all think ?

View attachment 210959

View attachment 210960

View attachment 210961

View attachment 210962

View attachment 210967

View attachment 210966

View attachment 210964

View attachment 210965
Tim I think we need primarly to thank Brent, he found it first and gifted to me :) Unfortunately was too small for me and what I only did was to find the one with smaller size and the right skills to restore it. Glad you accepted the challenge ;) I think we are all happy here seeing good hats been repaired and used :)

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Tim I think we need primarly to thank Brent, he found it first and gifted to me :) Unfortunately was too small for me and what I only did was to find the one with smaller size and the right skills to restore it. Glad you accepted the challenge ;) I think we are all happy here seeing good hats been repaired and used :)

Ah yes, thank you too Brent @deadlyhandsome !!
It's nice when we can keep hats in the family.......

What do y’all think ?

View attachment 210959

View attachment 210960

View attachment 210961

View attachment 210962

View attachment 210967

View attachment 210966

View attachment 210964

View attachment 210965

Personally, I like the wider ribbon on this hat; however, I'm also interested in seeing what it may look like with a thin ribbon. You may run into some color fading when you take off the old ribbon that the thinner ribbon will expose.

PanosChris

Practically Family
Ah yes, thank you too Brent @deadlyhandsome !!
It's nice when we can keep hats in the family.......
The fact that this one has crossed the Atlantic at least twice adds to its charm ;)

I like the idea of a thin ribbon but also like this wider one and the particular color combo. Maybe deserves a try cleaning the original one? You know best, it's in the right hands now. Looking forward to seeing what you will come up with Tim, enjoy my friend :)
Panos

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I like the wider ribbon on this hat; however, I'm also interested in seeing what it may look like with a thin ribbon. You may run into some color fading when you take off the old ribbon that the thinner ribbon will expose.

The fact that this one has crossed the Atlantic at least twice adds to its charm ;)

I like the idea of a thin ribbon but also like this wider one and the particular color combo. Maybe deserves a try cleaning the original one? You know best, it's in the right hands now. Looking forward to seeing what you will come up with Tim, enjoy my friend :)
Panos

Yeah, it may be better to try to keep this one original. It’s a very close ribbon color to the one I just did the Shark Gill on for the Disney, so I know I can get it if I can’t get it clean. Probably do a Naphtha bath tonight.

The back story:

The Hat:

That’s as sweet as they get!!!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
08FA0444-B1A7-455F-8908-8DACBAB90135.jpeg
A1AECBB6-47C4-46CF-BA26-DCA7C759F683.jpeg

What do y’all think ?

View attachment 210959

View attachment 210960

View attachment 210961

View attachment 210962

View attachment 210967

View attachment 210966

View attachment 210964

View attachment 210965
Not that i would overtly try and influence your opinion Tim, but simply for perspective. That fine Dobbs may look a lot like this Dobbs. I believe it is very similar in the 3 Cs...color, contrast and conformation. Imho the ribbon really makes all the difference and then there’s the Dobbs bow. Always distinct.
Just an opinion and i look forward to your resto, especially how you mend the holes.
Bowen

PanosChris

Practically Family
View attachment 210977 View attachment 210978
Not that i would overtly try and influence your opinion Tim, but simply for perspective. That fine Dobbs may look a lot like this Dobbs. I believe it is very similar in the 3 Cs...color, contrast and conformation. Imho the ribbon really makes all the difference and then there’s the Dobbs bow. Always distinct.
Just an opinion and i look forward to your resto, especially how you mend the holes.
Bowen
Bowen you are killing me sir! That is so good that I might consider to ask Tim sending it back (when he finishes ;) ) It surely would inspire me for the end result (if I had the skills...)

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 210977 View attachment 210978
Bowen

Ah yes, perfect Bowen, you talked me into it !!

I’ll take some detailed pics of the bow before removing it for cleaning in case I can’t get it clean and have to remake it.

Thanks !!

What do y’all think ?

View attachment 210959

View attachment 210960

View attachment 210961

View attachment 210962

View attachment 210967

View attachment 210966

View attachment 210964

View attachment 210965
Very cool

SteveFord

A-List Customer
This just showed up and I couldn't be happier.
Judging by the Brylcream resistant liner, this was probably made around the time Gibson was looking to get into electric guitars so an old Les Paul was pressed into fashion model duty.
It's in really nice shape but is not SO good that I'll be afraid to wear it.
lphat1.jpg
lphat2.jpg
lphat3.jpg
lphat4.jpg
lphat5.jpg

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
This just showed up and I couldn't be happier.
Judging by the Brylcream resistant liner, this was probably made around the time Gibson was looking to get into electric guitars so an old Les Paul was pressed into fashion model duty.
It's in really nice shape but is not SO good that I'll be afraid to wear it.
View attachment 211049 View attachment 211050 View attachment 211051 View attachment 211053 View attachment 211054

Very nice, those Sovereign’s are some great felt. Nice guitar too !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points