Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Rumad

One Too Many
Sweet, sweet, sweet, and suh-weeet!

Thank you, Jim.

That is one great posse of Westerns, Greg. Nice finds.

I appreciate that, Steve.

That’s a great looking hat. All of yours look great but the Marathon is my favorite.

Thank you. Yes, sir. There is a lot to like about the Marathon. Unique color. More Strat like than anything on my rack and I usually lean more towards OR dimensions but I really like the 2 5/8” brim and the campaign bow. It’s probably the best felt out of this bunch of hats.

Happy man in Alabam.
B

Quite so, B.

Some of the things I wanted to mention about the Shady Oaks. I’ve read some posts that suggest that these hats differ from an OR of the same era by about an 1/8” in crown height and brim width. The Shady Oaks measures 2/ 7/8 x 5 7/8 as best I can measure it. My 50’s RD OR brim measures the same but the crown is 5 5/8. Side by side, with the crowns open, it appears the Shady oaks may have had a bit straighter blocking. This could also be me seeing things with them too close to compare.

One note of interest to me was the sweat. The Stetson logo is nothing more than a surface print though the sweat is very high quality and unusual in the sense that it appears to be an unreded sweat, though not like one I’ve seen before. Upon close inspection you realize there is no reed or ferrule to hold the ends. It is a thin piece of fabric that the sweat is sewn to and that fabric is sewn to the hat. There are no sew holes through the felt, just as it is on an unreeded sweat. My point is; I’ve checked as closely as I can and find no evidence of any sort of reed but every hat with an unreeded sweat that I’ve held was leather sewn directly to felt.

This is a first for me. Perhaps some of you will enlighten me. The Marathon has a very similar sweat.

Last edited:
Thank you, Jim.

Thank you. Yes, sir. There is a lot to like about the Marathon. Unique color. More Strat like than anything on my rack and I usually lean more towards OR dimensions but I really like the 2 5/8” brim and the campaign bow. It’s probably the best felt out of this bunch of hats.

Quite so, B.

Some of the things I wanted to mention about the Shady Oaks. I’ve read some posts that suggest that these hats differ from an OR of the same era by about an 1/8” in crown height and brim width. The Shady Oaks measures 2/ 7/8 x 5 7/8 as best I can measure it. My 50’s RD OR brim measures the same but the crown is 5 5/8. Side by side, with the crowns open, it appears the Shady oaks may have had a bit straighter blocking. This could also be me seeing things with them too close to compare.

One note of interest to me was the sweat. The Stetson logo is nothing more than a surface print though the sweat is very high quality and unusual in the sense that it appears to be an unreded sweat, though not like one I’ve seen before. Upon close inspection you realize there is no reed or ferrule to hold the ends. It is a thin piece of fabric that the sweat is sewn to and that fabric is sewn to the hat. There are no sew holes through the felt, just as it is on an unreeded sweat. My point is; I’ve checked as closely as I can and find no evidence of any sort of reed but every hat with an unseeded sweat that I’ve held was leather sewn directly to felt.

This is a first for me. Perhaps some of you will enlighten me. The Marathon has a very similar sweat.

If it's what I'm thinking, it's akin to one I picked up a while back. I think Alan referred to it as a fabric reed.

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Jim.

Quite so, B.

One note of interest to me was the sweat. The Stetson logo is nothing more than a surface print though the sweat is very high quality and unusual in the sense that it appears to be an unreded sweat, though not like one I’ve seen before. Upon close inspection you realize there is no reed or ferrule to hold the ends. It is a thin piece of fabric that the sweat is sewn to and that fabric is sewn to the hat. There are no sew holes through the felt, just as it is on an unreeded sweat. My point is; I’ve checked as closely as I can and find no evidence of any sort of reed but every hat with an unseeded sweat that I’ve held was leather sewn directly to felt.

Interesting observations indeed about the Amon SO, Greg.
As far as the sweatband fabric reed, it is reminiscent of a “corded reed” on a Disney i have. The cord encircles the sweatband and is sewn to the felt. With the Disney the cord continues down the sweatband seam and is used for the sweat bow. I believe these type sweatband attachment variances make for an extremely comfortable feel much more so than any solid reeding. This is just an observation and i’d be interested if you found this to be so as well.
Again, great new gets. Hope you add to the Shady Oak thread too.
B

Weht

New in Town
My first fedora. i got this from poshmark. it has a bump in the left side pinch likely from being hung on a hook. has anybody here made their own hat rack?

Attachments

• fedora remastered.jpg
    fedora remastered.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 155
  • 20200224_204458.jpg
    20200224_204458.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 197
  • 20200224_204435.jpg
    20200224_204435.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 185
My first fedora. i got this from poshmark. it has a bump in the left side pinch likely from being hung on a hook. has anybody here made their own hat rack?

Welcome! Looks like you started off right with a nice Stetson. There are several threads on hat storage, but I don’t recall seeing a DIY hat rack. The problem is that many of the regulars here have dozens, and even hundreds of hats. Stick around a while and you’ll be talking about a room(s) addition rather than a hat rack. :)

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ