Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
I've been trying to come up with a Portis and recently won 2 off the bay.

Maybe Lefty has a matching ad......?

It's hard to say, but it's the only Portis felt ad with a pug that I've got - at least, I think it's a pug on the right.
Portis19401-2.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Knox Superfine Homburg/Fedora conversion

This arrived from the bay and I realized that it was actually a conversion from Homburg to Fedora. I should've been paying closer attention in the auction photos. Opinions on if this works or not?

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Very cool looking summer straw there, Jimmy. I like that ribbon.

I notice your dog is boycotting this photo. I guess he doesn't like 'pugs'.

lol

Thanks, Gene and Scott. I love the ribbon on this one -- very retro feel.

Cheers,
JtL

Chinaski

One Too Many
Stetson Royal Deluxe

This one arrived today. A Stetson Royal Deluxe. It was described as gray, but it is a nice green color with beautiful felt. No moth holes, sweat, and everything is in excellent condition. I'm very pleased with this one! Put in a quick dry bash for pictures. As for dating, my guess is late 50's, early 60's - let me know what you think.

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Out Bulerin' today

This morning I decide, "If Buler can find 300-400 hats per week at antique stores, then surely I can find ONE today."

We spent the day driving all over the place, with no luck whatsoever, but I wasn't going back to Seattle until I scored a hat. So we're in this antique mall and I'm at the far back stall, which for the most part contained Far Eastern antiques, and I spotted a woman's hat hanging on the wall.

First pic is what I saw from a distance, but that ridge down the top gave it away. I thought it odd that the crown was so short, so turned it over to find where the extra 1.5 inches had gone. Third pic - when I got home, I briefly exposed the rest of the crown for this shot.

MCTop.jpg

MCBottom.jpg

MCSide.jpg

MCwpiCrown.jpg

MCwpiBrim.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic looking Stetson, Chinaski. Green hats are great.

---------

"bulerin'" - That's funny. lol

Scott, you scored a pretty nice Panama there. It's in the 600 weaves per inch range. Hopefully it can be shaped up.

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
This morning I decide, "If Buler can find 300-400 hats per week at antique stores, then surely I can find ONE today."

We spent the day driving all over the place, with no luck whatsoever, but I wasn't going back to Seattle until I scored a hat. So we're in this antique mall and I'm at the far back stall, which for the most part contained Far Eastern antiques, and I spotted a woman's hat hanging on the wall.

First pic is what I saw from a distance, but that ridge down the top gave it away. I thought it odd that the crown was so short, so turned it over to find where the extra 1.5 inches had gone. Third pic - when I got home, I briefly exposed the rest of the crown for this shot.

Nice Bulerin ScottF. That last straw I got was also a woman's hat. I didn't take any "before" pics of it. Are you going to reblock it or...?

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Nice Bulerin ScottF. That last straw I got was also a woman's hat. I didn't take any "before" pics of it. Are you going to reblock it or...?

B

I understand - the temptation was to man-it-up as fast as possible, but I resisted and snapped a few shots first.

Now that it's back to it's original state, I've tried it on as well as could be done, and I think it'll fit.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
This one arrived today. A Stetson Royal Deluxe. It was described as gray, but it is a nice green color with beautiful felt.

Nice one, Chinaski. Very nice. Looks like you scored what is essentially a Royal DeLuxe version of the Whippet. I've posted a photo of a green Whippet below for comparison -- your lid seems to be extremely similar. Are the colors in your photos accurate? Any chance your lid looks a bit more like this from a color standpoint?...

GreenWhippet1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Mr. Paladin

mayserwegener said:
I also picked up this Borsalino Homburg from Dreispitz. Very beautiful felt on this one.

Sir, those are two beautiful homburg specimens; mint condition and superb styling! They are such classic hats.

Mr. Paladin

Garrett said:
This arrived from the bay and I realized that it was actually a conversion from Homburg to Fedora. I should've been paying closer attention in the auction photos. Opinions on if this works or not?

I think it does work just fine. The inner stitch row has a decorative touch to it and I kinda like the homburg upturn in the back. Your crease work is super.

Mr. Paladin

Chinaski said:
This one arrived today. A Stetson Royal Deluxe. It was described as gray, but it is a nice green color with beautiful felt. No moth holes, sweat, and everything is in excellent condition. I'm very pleased with this one! Put in a quick dry bash for pictures. As for dating, my guess is late 50's, early 60's - let me know what you think.
DSC_0031.jpg

Very nice Chinaski. I am taken with the very similar upturn to the rear of the brim; it looks almost exactly like that on Garrett's homburg conversion with the flat brim and upturned ribbon binding.

Chinaski

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Nice one, Chinaski. Very nice. Looks like you scored what is essentially a Royal DeLuxe version of the Whippet. I've posted a photo of a green Whippet below for comparison -- your lid seems to be extremely similar. Are the colors in your photos accurate? Any chance your lid looks a bit more like this from a color standpoint?...

Cheers,
JtL

JtL, the color didn't really come out well in my photos. It is a green hat with a very dark green ribbon. It's quite an interesting color which seems to change hue in different light. It looks identical to your Whippet - edge binding, shape, color. However, it doesn't say Whippet anywhere on it or under the sweat.

Mr. Paladin, I was thinking the exact same thing you were thinking with regard to the hat Garrett posted, mainly due to the wide edge binding. I believe this hat wasn't born a homburg (but if someone produces evidence to the contrary I'd believe that too!)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
JtL, the color didn't really come out well in my photos. It is a green hat with a very dark green ribbon. It's quite an interesting color which seems to change hue in different light. It looks identical to your Whippet - edge binding, shape, color. However, it doesn't say Whippet anywhere on it or under the sweat.

You done real good, Chinaski! Remember that, by definition, a Whippet was an entry-level Royal Stetson quality hat. Stetson made hats identical to the Whippet (from a style standpoint) in a Royal DeLuxe quality, but you won't find the name "Whippet" anywhere on them.

Cheers,
JtL

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I'd take it off your hands if it weren't so tiny

Garrett said:

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

That is a great-looking hat, on me. I'd take it off your hands, but my head is waaaay big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner