Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
And on a side note... my favorite of these shows... if I could have a favorite... was Rock My RV with Bret Michaels. Where ever time Bret would tell the rebuild guys... I want to get this guy like 3 slide outs! And the experts would be like... no way.. only one will work on this rig. And he’d be like. I know you guys will surprise us and get it done.... and then on the reveal... 1 pop out. Like every time!

I watched a lot of those shows at one time, but never this Bret Michaels program. RVs? I guess I’m not their target audience.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If we can't discuss these things without going off the deep end, then @Hurricane Jack is right. These threads are just exercises in kissy-face where folks post their fashions and get patted on the head.
There's something wrong on WHAYWT when your bold Argyle socks draw more comments than your Dobbs Jet 707 fedora with the 1-7/8 brim, in a forum section that's supposed to be about vintage hats. And the kisses being blown back & forth over those socks & the 707 go on for twenty more posts. At least put it in the appropriate section.

If you don't like the angular rakish lines of a New Slant, why would you buy one only to re block it? Those angular lines including the taper were what that hat was all about. They were probably a hat only a rakish movie star, an architect or an engineer could love in the first place.

I like resto rods too but the resto rod movement is all bout improving vintage automobiles thru technology & engineering. It's not about personalizing. Apples to oranges when comparing either to cutting or re blocking a vintage hat. The real problem so many Loungers object to is when a rare vintage hat gets cut down or sized up & reblocked with an inappropriate block just so the owner can notch their gun & scratch it off their want list.

Meanwhile I'm going to dye my Stetson Ermine #10 black in a pressure pot & then block it into a Russian Military Cossack or maybe a pillbox hat, & eat my popcorn.

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
And another important thing concerning the hat that started this all off:
As many of you who’ve refurbished vintage hats know, some old hats lose their original square blocking and become tapered over time. I bet a hundred bucks that my New Slant was one of them, and all I did was bring back its wonderful, untapered glory.

I’m going to continue mildly modifying vintage hats to my taste, Jim...and whoever else don’t like it.
And I’m going to state when I do.
Now, do I have a place here, or not?

If this is a forum of, “Don’t you dare personalize a hat one iota because it has made it 70 years, or some of us will leave, or tell you you have ignorantly, radically raped history and our touchy feelings about hats” then maybe me, and a lot of others shouldn’t be here.
When I say others, I mean well liked, long time members who have decided that its best just to keep their hat tinkering quiet so as not to “get lynched by some of the more sensitive members”. I’ve been told this by not just a few respected members here.
Well, the sensitive types can go on bemoaning what a vintage hat should be and lament all you want, but don’t expect me to bend to your will.
I love vintage hats, and like a doctor, I pledge to do no harm.
My philosophy on doing no harm is a bit different from some of you guys, and will stay different.
As I’ve questioned earlier: is there room for me and others here?
Or do you think we need to leave...or simply keep mildly modifying hats, but just don’t dare mention it so; “we can keep our personal airs of superior philosophies in tact”
[No, you didn’t come out and say it exactly that way, but you think that way, do you not?]
I say, you’re no better than me, just different, with different opinions.
Great! Now let’s get past this—or not.

ps:
Any one who jumps philosophies between vintage cars and hats is somewhat of a hypocrite in many people’s estimation.
Don’t matter to me.
I say let folks do what they want.
Long as no one messes with cars and hats that I call mine.

Gee, I guess there are several ways I could go with this over the top response to a gentle rejoinder. I'll just leave it with, "I'm sorry I hurt your feelz."

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Gee, I guess there are several ways I could go with this over the top response to a gentle rejoinder. I'll just leave it with, "I'm sorry I hurt your feelz."

It’s not over the top, Jim. I’m not only speaking out for this hat and this particular popcorn show, but for those of us who want to be here and be respected, even when we disagree with how a vintage hat can be modified.
My feelz, your feelz, be damned.

It’s not over the top, Jim. I’m not only speaking out for this hat and this particular popcorn show, but for those of us who want to be here and be respected, even when we disagree with how a vintage hat can be modified.
My feelz, your feelz, be damned.

OK, so you're beating me up for how others have treated you. That's nice.

Oh, and since you're conversing with all those "well liked and respected members" we're missing, please say hi to gtdean, Fed in a Fedora, Aureliano, javadave, Chepstow, and tommyk. I sure miss those guys.

Tukwila

You know, I don't recall any of this harping going on when @moontheloon or @Redfokker were showing off their Slant hats.

Neither of their hats hat the actual "slant" built, blocked or creased into them. Go back and look at the pictures. Those hats could have just as easily been passed off as Stratoliners or Open Roads.

Old hats do lose their shape over time. I would have cleaned the hat with gas and creased it as I liked, too. So there. nyah!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
OK, so you're beating me up for how others have treated you. That's nice.

Oh, and since you're conversing with all those "well liked and respected members" we're missing, please say hi to gtdean, Fed in a Fedora, Aureliano, javadave, Chepstow, and tommyk. I sure miss those guys.
No, Jim. With you I’m standing up for being rebuked by you because I mildly, if any, modified a nice hat...that is still nice and still 100% intact—in my opinion.
All the other stuff I’ve said, I stand by it and for all those that won’t speak up. Maybe one day me and others will make your list of folks that got ran off, but this place will miss us, whether you know it or not.
I’ve added much to this place with my membership, and so have you.
We can continue to if we can work this out. If not it only proves that you and those like you are lacking...something.

You know, I don't recall any of this harping going on when @moontheloon or @Redfokker were showing off their Slant hats.

Neither of their hats hat the actual "slant" built, blocked or creased into them. Go back and look at the pictures. Those hats could have just as easily been passed off as Stratoliners or Open Roads.

Old hats do lose their shape over time. I would have cleaned the hat with gas and creased it as I liked, too. So there. nyah!

Don't conflate "crease" and "block." I know you know the difference.

No, Jim. With you I’m standing up for being rebuked by you because I mildly, if any, modified a nice hat...that is still nice and still 100% intact—in my opinion.
All the other stuff I’ve said, I stand by it and for all those that won’t speak up. Maybe one day me and others will make your list of folks that got ran off, but this place will miss us, whether you know it or not.
I’ve added much to this place with my membership, and so have you.
We can continue to if we can work this out. If not it only proves that you and those like you are lacking...something.

Randall, take a deep breath. This reaction and lashing out is over the top and disproportionate to the nth degree. I'm not going to play amateur psychologist, but this ain't normal nor healthy behavior.

Have a Snickers.

Tukwila

Comparing a 63 Corvette to a felt hat? OK, let's go with that. The Vette got old, suffered a dent on one side. Along comes a heretic and fixes the dent. Now, that's effectively what Randall did with his hat.

Jim, if you pick up a 70 year old hat YOU know it has lost shape when you see it. Just like my old Knox 15, just like my old Royal Stetson. After gassing them drying them and putting them on a plastic form... block? they had new shape and new life. Randall did nothing more. I am, frankly, surprised at your response to this having read your posts for some 4 years now.

Again, why didn't anyone slam Anthony or Mike for not blocking their Slant hats like the old ads?

And that brings up another point. Is the "slant" blocked into the Portis hat like it was blocked into the Stetson Slant? I see no evidence of that. Only Stetson ads showing the extreme slant from left to right.

The one Portis ad we have doesn't show much of anything.

If you ask me, this is a lot of drama over nothing.

You forgot the members who have stated here on The Lounge that they are leaving us when they hit 10,000 posts or come January 1, 2020, and yet they are still around complaining and bemoaning that things change in life and it’s not like it used to be. I knew not to take them at their word when they said they would leave, but not all members leaving is or would be a bad thing. :)
10398 :D:rolleyes:

There's something wrong on WHAYWT when your bold Argyle socks draw more comments than your Dobbs Jet 707 fedora with the 1-7/8 brim, in a forum section that's supposed to be about vintage hats. And the kisses being blown back & forth over those socks & the 707 go on for twenty more posts. At least put it in the appropriate section.

If you don't like the angular rakish lines of a New Slant, why would you buy one only to re block it? Those angular lines including the taper were what that hat was all about. They were probably a hat only a rakish movie star, an architect or an engineer could love in the first place.

I like resto rods too but the resto rod movement is all bout improving vintage automobiles thru technology & engineering. It's not about personalizing. Apples to oranges when comparing either to cutting or re blocking a vintage hat. The real problem so many Loungers object to is when a rare vintage hat gets cut down or sized up & reblocked with an inappropriate block just so the owner can notch their gun & scratch it off their want list.

Meanwhile I'm going to dye my Stetson Ermine #10 black in a pressure pot & then block it into a Russian Military Cossack or maybe a pillbox hat, & eat my popcorn.

Just for clarity... are we talking new current Dobbs Jet 707... or one 50 or so years old? (Don’t have a new one handy to compare) Also... I’m quite sure NO ONE wants to see MY socks!

You forgot the members who have stated here on The Lounge that they are leaving us when they hit 10,000 posts or come January 1, 2020, and yet they are still around complaining and bemoaning that things change in life and it’s not like it used to be. I knew not to take them at their word when they said they would leave, but not all members leaving is or would be a bad thing. :)

Gee, I don't remember that. The folks I mentioned were the oldsters when I got here. Other than some that were banned or made an announcement they were leaving (I count two there) , I think most older Members just kind of drifted away. Some of that may be to the new blood, I don't know. Personally, I'm on about my fourth "new blood" cycle since being here since about 2014, when I was the "new blood."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21