Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey folks!

More of this Rand in the Rand thread!

20210108_163911.jpg

Check it out!

And the second one.
Willoughby Prince IV G satin finish. Size 57 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. This one doesn't have "fabrique a Londres" on the liner, like the previous one has and it does have a label that says "made in France". This one does seem set in its ways and doesn't like to be creased. Very soft longhair felt and the hand is outstanding. Unreeded construction. Likely intended to be shaped brim up, but it does work as a regular fedora as well.
Probably older that it looks. Interesint is that I did find a very similar hat that was named "Prince III". Also found a WIlloughby hat made by Robert Heath, so it's highly likely taht Willoughby sourced their hats from various manufacturers.

View attachment 299180 View attachment 299181 View attachment 299182 View attachment 299183 View attachment 299184 View attachment 299185 View attachment 299186 View attachment 299187 View attachment 299188 View attachment 299189
Wow. Two great finds Stefan

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Spectacular hats, Stefan, just wonderful!

Certainly not western style. Been looking for one of these for some time but the French sellers seem to think these are their equivalent of the Whippet:) Quite the coincidence as well; I managed to find not just this one, but a second one in the same week.
Willoughby Real Nutria homburg. Size 57 with the brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Came in a box dated 1937, which seems about right to me. The box mentions Ragon (Rat Gondin -nutria) but also mentions Madelios, which is another retailer with hats under their own brand. The box came wrapped in packing tape:eek:
Fantastic hand to the felt and shapes without any steam. Sold to me as black, but I'm very glad it's in fact a mid to dark grey. No label inside the hat. Some light mothing on the front, but more noticeable in the pics than in real life.

View attachment 299169 View attachment 299170 View attachment 299171 View attachment 299172 View attachment 299173 View attachment 299174 View attachment 299175 View attachment 299176 View attachment 299177 View attachment 299178

And the second one.
Willoughby Prince IV G satin finish. Size 57 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. This one doesn't have "fabrique a Londres" on the liner, like the previous one has and it does have a label that says "made in France". This one does seem set in its ways and doesn't like to be creased. Very soft longhair felt and the hand is outstanding. Unreeded construction. Likely intended to be shaped brim up, but it does work as a regular fedora as well.
Probably older that it looks. Interesint is that I did find a very similar hat that was named "Prince III". Also found a WIlloughby hat made by Robert Heath, so it's highly likely taht Willoughby sourced their hats from various manufacturers.

View attachment 299180 View attachment 299181 View attachment 299182 View attachment 299183 View attachment 299184 View attachment 299185 View attachment 299186 View attachment 299187 View attachment 299188 View attachment 299189

This fine old Stetson Playboy was directed to my attention by a good lounge friend and arrived today. I have two other pre-WWII Playboys that I shared some years back on the Side By Side comparison thread. This Air-Lite seems a little earlier and carries a lower LOTXXXX stamp as well... perhaps mid to late 1930s. I will take better pictures of it in the daylight and share on the dedicated Playboy thread.

brown_playboy1.jpg

brown_playboy2.jpg

brown_playboy3.jpg

brown_playboy4.jpg

brown_playboy5.jpg

This fine old Stetson Playboy was directed to my attention by a good lounge friend and arrived today. I have two other pre-WWII Playboys that I shared some years back on the Side By Side comparison thread. This Air-Lite seems a little earlier and carries a lower LOTXXXX stamp as well... perhaps mid to late 1930s. I will take better pictures of it in the daylight and share on the dedicated Playboy thread.

View attachment 299618

View attachment 299622

View attachment 299621

View attachment 299620

View attachment 299619
Wouldn't have expected anything other than a great hat and I'm not disappointed! Fantastic find, Alan.

View attachment 299618

View attachment 299622

View attachment 299621

View attachment 299620

View attachment 299619
Absolutely beautiful Alan Fabulous find

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I finally found a hat of this shape that somewhere carried the name given by the Italian youths of the 1950s and early 1960s: Mambo!
Mambo Panizza Mambo.JPG I'm dancing when I took the picture :)
One of them, my gym buddy, brought me a photo of him a few years ago wearing a hat very similar to this one.
Mambo Panizza 1.JPG

Panizza "Mambo" size 58cm or 7 1/4 in the US with a back bow. Inside measurements are:20x16.5 centimeters
Mambo Panizza 2.JPG

The hat is in good condition with some barely visible moth bites and a felt that is reborn after a steam bath with a brush.
Mambo Panizza 3.JPG

The color is a gray called by Panizza "Opale" with a black belt with a small bow on the back.
Mambo Panizza 4.JPG
The felt is of medium consistency and very solid in its shape. It was sold in Italy on the bank of river Po.
Mambo Panizza cappelleria.JPG
Mambo Panizza etichetta carta.JPG
The hat unlined has a branded insert at the bottom of the crown
Mambo Panizza interno totale.JPG
These are the measures: brims at 5.5 cm, the crown is at 9 cm. the lowest point and the ribbon is 5cm.
Mambo Panizza 8.JPG

An excellent example of Italian hat from the 1950s

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In the batch of hats that arrived on Saturday there are gems, but also some hats that have had a troubled life.
NN Bombetta 1.jpg
Here is the first example.
NN Bombetta 2.jpg

A bowler hat that has lost the sweatband and a few pieces of ribbon on the brims, but has retained a mark, alas unreadable.
NN Bombetta totale interno.jpg
I suspect it was made in France because compared to her older sister Mossant it has many similarities.
NN Bombetta 3.jpg

This is very light and the felt has kept well. Its approximate size, considering the internal measurements of 19.5x16 centimeters, seems to be a 57 or a 7 1/8 in the US.
NN Bombetta 4.jpg
The hat has no lining, just a remnant of the brand and a very well preserved shape with no dents or tears.
NN Bombetta 6.jpg

It could be a project for a restoration or an heirloom to keep. I lean towards the first solution :)

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

View attachment 299618

View attachment 299622

View attachment 299621

View attachment 299620

View attachment 299619

Alan that is a fine looking hat. What color is it? On my screen it appears to be camel.
Steven

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
The Henry Heath, which I ordered earlier, has not yet arrived,
but I have the brown G. A. Dunn meanwhile received by mail:

The velour felt is relatively short, but really great and super malleable
(though not as outstanding as pre-war JHS). The processing of the interior
(sweat and lining) as well as the ribbon work is as high quality as the "English Velour".
The hat was sold as 40's - the lettering on lining AND sweat is "G. A. Dunn & Co."
which would classify the dating as pre-war by the old commentary.
In my opinion, however, that doesn't match the shape - I think early/mid 50s fits better.
Comments on this!?

1st is seller's foto: best colour - Sorry, my pictures are very dark!
40199741rf.jpg

40307707jf.jpg

40307709ey.jpg

40307710ak.jpg

40307715vi.jpg

open crown
40307711sz.jpg

interiour
40307714fm.jpg

40307713ic.jpg

40307712lj.jpg

40307717ny.jpg

40307718rd.jpg

label
40307716sv.jpg

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Buying lots of used hats without specific indications from the seller is always a lottery, you need to have a trained eye and a dose of luck is also good.
Roma GB Borsalino bombetta 2 bis.JPG

Bowler hat by G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro Qualità Finissima size 51/2 or 58 cm or 7 1/4 in the US.
Roma GB Borsalino bombetta 1.JPG
The internal measurements are the following: 20x16.5 cm so a full 58.
Roma GB Borsalino bombetta 3.JPG

This G.B. Borsalino bowler hat is very light and as in the tradition of the hats made by "rebels" Borsalino was finished in a masterly way.
Roma GB Borsalino bombetta 5.JPG

The conditions in which it arrived in Verona in 2021 are splendid, nothing out of place, everything in order starting from the felt, intact and with a perfect body as well as the ribbons.
Roma GB Borsalino GB Borsalino.JPG
Roma GB Borsalino taglia.JPG
Roma GB Borsalino venditore.JPG
The interior is great, the lining is intact and there is some little stain on the sweatband.
Roma GB Borsalino etichetta carta.JPG
I spent some time trying to decipher the writing on the paper label that qualifies the type, but I couldn't, I'm sorry. If some have more good eyes, I will be grateful
Roma GB Borsalino bombetta 6.JPG

I had a good eye and a pinch of luck for a hat that's probably a hundred years old.
It is not my size, so lovers of the bowlers make your plans

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
After a gem it is the turn of a hat that has gone through the life of its owner, remaining marked by the years.
Albertini Barbisio 1.JPG

Albertini - Barbisio size 57 or 5 in the US.
Albertini Barbisio 2.JPG

The hat has a Barbisio paper label and an Albertini lining, so it was assembled in the period of passage of the Barbsio stock in the Panizza hat factory that put this hat on the market.
Albertini Barbisio 3.JPG

The measures are those of a hat from the eighties: the raw brim almost touches five centimeters, they are 4.8 cm., the crown is consistent at 11 cm. at the lowest point and the ribbon is 4cm.
Albertini Barbisio 5.JPG
The color of the felt is written on the label, but it is impossible to see it, I think it is "Nocciola"
Albertini Barbisio interno totale.JPG

The hat has some stains on the lining and the felt needs to be cleaned.
Albertini Barbisio taglia.JPG
Albertini Barbisio etichetta carta.JPG
I really like the combination of colors, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the barbisio color combination
Albertini Barbisio 4.JPG

Needless to say, like the hats put on display yesterday, this one and the bowler hat by G.B borsalino are on sale.

The Henry Heath, which I ordered earlier, has not yet arrived,
but I have the brown G. A. Dunn meanwhile received by mail:

The velour felt is relatively short, but really great and super malleable
(though not as outstanding as pre-war JHS). The processing of the interior
(sweat and lining) as well as the ribbon work is as high quality as the "English Velour".
The hat was sold as 40's - the lettering on lining AND sweat is "G. A. Dunn & Co."
which would classify the dating as pre-war by the old commentary.
In my opinion, however, that doesn't match the shape - I think early/mid 50s fits better.
Comments on this!?

1st is seller's foto: best colour - Sorry, my pictures are very dark!
40199741rf.jpg

40307707jf.jpg

40307709ey.jpg

40307710ak.jpg

40307715vi.jpg

open crown
40307711sz.jpg

interiour
40307714fm.jpg

40307713ic.jpg

40307712lj.jpg

40307717ny.jpg

40307718rd.jpg

label
40307716sv.jpg
Fabulous

This Melton velour showed up a while back, but I was away so we just met today. Needs a cleaning and some steam love. Not sure of the age, but based on examples in the Melton thread it appears older (or a special order) as the label is hand-written.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Excuse the celluloid debris -- there was quite a bit behind the sweat. This pic is pretty accurate for the color indoors. Just a couple of moth nips under the brim and a ring on top of the brim where it moved around in a box for years (I'm guessing). Hope to brush that out a bit.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Half the size tag fell off when I touched it. :(

IMG_0006.jpg

Post 1934 based on the union label. Not much out there, but the company has been around since at least 1934 as I did find a reference in a New York court case.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Just a tad small at 7-3/8 so it will live on that old hat stretcher for a while (the wooden thing above ... not me).

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

I think we're going to be happy together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran