Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
In the last installment of Strange Occurrences in Hat Buying, I ordered a JJ Hat Center The Ken custom-quality hat. These hats are typically listed at a size 1/2-1cm larger than their actual size. However, my hat was listed three sizes too large, and still one size too big for my head:

DSC_0579.JPG

I ended up being disappointed in the custom quality vs. the Stetson Saxon, so I returned the hat. I have now received my Stetson Saxon Caribou from DelMonico Hatter, and the fun doesn't stop here. Apparently, this hat was also incorrectly sized (what are the odds?) I am a 7 3/8" (59cm) hat size. This hat was listed one size too small, but fits the same as my other 59cm Saxons.

DSC_0581.JPG

The tag is correctly sized:

DSC_0588.JPG

Onto the actual hat bits:

DSC_0582.JPG

The Saxon Caribou is a shade darker than Akubra Moonstone, but not as dark as Carbon Grey. The hat features a 2" brim with a underwelted edge. The felt is thicker and stiffer than the Ken, which is what I prefer. The latter's felt was flimsy, and could not hold its shape easily. This problem is not present on the Saxon.

DSC_0583.JPG

The pinch front does not reshape when held. Additionally, the center crease is free of imperfections.

DSC_0584.JPG

The same can be said for the rear of the hat.

I will definitely be keeping this hat. I am personally not a fan of flimsy felt hats. I prefer hats that are sturdy, and will hold up to the elements. I just don't know when these strange occurrences will stop. So far, I've received one hat with a non-standard band, and two mis-labeled hats in a row. You know what they say: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times...

2021-07-12_18-04-00.jpg

In the last installment of Strange Occurrences in Hat Buying, I ordered a JJ Hat Center The Ken custom-quality hat. These hats are typically listed at a size 1/2-1cm larger than their actual size. However, my hat was listed three sizes too large, and still one size too big for my head:

DSC_0579.JPG

I ended up being disappointed in the custom quality vs. the Stetson Saxon, so I returned the hat. I have now received my Stetson Saxon Caribou from DelMonico Hatter, and the fun doesn't stop here. Apparently, this hat was also incorrectly sized (what are the odds?) I am a 7 3/8" (59cm) hat size. This hat was listed one size too small, but fits the same as my other 59cm Saxons.

DSC_0581.JPG

The tag is correctly sized:

DSC_0588.JPG

Onto the actual hat bits:

DSC_0582.JPG

The Saxon Caribou is a shade darker than Akubra Moonstone, but not as dark as Carbon Grey. The hat features a 2" brim with a underwelted edge. The felt is thicker and stiffer than the Ken, which is what I prefer. The latter's felt was flimsy, and could not hold its shape easily. This problem is not present on the Saxon.

DSC_0583.JPG

The pinch front does not reshape when held. Additionally, the center crease is free of imperfections.

DSC_0584.JPG

The same can be said for the rear of the hat.

I will definitely be keeping this hat. I am personally not a fan of flimsy felt hats. I prefer hats that are sturdy, and will hold up to the elements. I just don't know when these strange occurrences will stop. So far, I've received one hat with a non-standard band, and two mis-labeled hats in a row. You know what they say: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times...

2021-07-12_18-04-00.jpg
The joys (or not) of online hat buying!

Another nice colors/crummy felt hat. Stylepark. I have discovered some nice felts buying little-known View attachment 346605 View attachment 346606 View attachment 346607 View attachment 346608 View attachment 346609 View attachment 346610 View attachment 346611 brands, but these two are awful.
Surprising…. I’ve mostly heard good things about Templeforms. The two I have are not standard felts or finishes. One being a velour and the other a heather so I don’t have a more standard finish TF to compare it to.

Kapalutch770

New in Town
Hi all. Hope this is the right thread- can anyone suggest a top notch wooden hat block maker, particularly near or around Miami, Florida.
Thanks

Love it, Bob. Looks like it will breath well too.

Thanks Brent! It looks like it would.

Very nice and unique, Bob!

Thanks Max! This one is more your size (around a 7-1/4), but my wife has yet to see it (and possibly claim it). However, she doesn't like the Texas Hatters Half-Breed that I have worn for a few years -- I like this one better! This will most likely be up for sale soon. :(

That is one heck of a cool duplex.

Thanks Joe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy